P047A and P0087 codes Fuel pressure control valve

RayBone05

TDI
2011 Jetta sportwagon
I have a 2011 TDI wagon and I'm having the glow plug flashing light with power loose and also the engine light is on. Its happening about every 60 miles and at first I could pull over and turn off and right back on and keep going, but Saturday it took an hr before it would start. Has anyone had this problem with 2011 and is it the same HPFP, with the same fuel pressure control valve Part# 0928400706? thanks for the help

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Usually when the HPFP dies, they just die, and the engine will not run.

You may have gotten lucky and yours is just starting to come apart, or there is some other issue.

I would first open up the fuel filter canister, and look closely for any metal shiny bits inside. If you find any, problem found, you need a HPFP and related stuff. You *may* get lucky and your injectors are still OK, I have never seen that happen though.

If you do not see anything there, I would check the actual and requested rail pressure, as well as the connections on the N276 pressure regulating valve (which is on the flywheel end of the fuel rail) and the G247 rail pressure sensor.

You can also take the N290 fuel metering valve off of the HPFP and see if it has any metal debris trapped in it, as well as the G247.

That is for the P0087 low rail pressure.

The P047A is for the #2 exhaust pressure sensor, and that is unlikely to have any effect on how the engine starts and runs. I would consider that a second issue at this point, as it is most likely just the sensor and not a big deal at all. The HPFP is a big deal.

Last edited:

RayBone05

TDI
2011 Jetta sportwagon
Thanks Oilhammer, I will look into both of these and reply back.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Has anyone had this problem with 2011 and is it the same HPFP, with the same fuel pressure control valve Part# 0928400706? thanks for the help
I had a similar problem with my 2009 (same HPFP) except that mine was causing a fault (and limp mode) only about once every 600 miles or so. I replaced that fuel metering valve and the car ran perfectly for another 40,000+ miles. Details here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=437398

I agree with oilhammer, the first thing to do is to remove that valve and see if there are any metal bits. If yes, your HPFP is either dead or dying. If the screen at the end of the valve is clean, you might be lucky - it could be that fuel metering valve. If you are interested I should still have (somewhere) my old metering valve. It only failed every 500-600 miles. I could sent it to you for testing (I don't need it) if you think it would help. PM me your shipping address if you want another bad (albeit possibly better) fuel metering valve.

Have Fun!

Don