Vagcom help VCDS Lite

makos101

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 ALH Black 2003 Jetta
Im having a horrible vagcom experience. I have a cheap cable off of ebay and am trying to figure out how to use it with VCDS Lite. I get it connected to my car and I have run a auto scan which has turned up nothing. I have some questions. Is VCDS Light limited in what I can do? What can I do with the lite version? I just replaced the timing belt and would like to check the timing/play with my injectors after installing new nozzles. Thanks for any tips.

2jettasinthedrive

Veteran Member
TDI
01 TDI 02 Wagon
I have heard about difficulties with the (cheap) cables. Go on to Ross Tech website and read what they offer in cables. I know the price diff is huge. They also sell it at PARTSPLACE.com . I am pretty sure it has to do with the cable you got.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/index.html

It's really designed as a "get your feet wet" version IMHO, and when coupled with all the fun of getting cloned eBay cables to behave is probably not much of a bargain at all. To your specific question, the documentation is pretty clear that doesn't report TDI timing values.

The couple hundred bucks I spent for a real version of the cable (which includes a license for the full software) makes VCDS the best value-for-your-money tool in my TDI toolbox, next to the spring clamp pliers. ;-)

Last edited:

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/index.html

It's really designed as a "get your feet wet" version IMHO, and when coupled with all the fun of getting cloned eBay cables to behave is probably not much of a bargain at all. To your specific question, the documentation is pretty clear that doesn't report TDI timing values.

The couple hundred bucks I spent for a real version of the cable (which includes a license for the full software) makes VCDS the best value-for-your-money tool in my TDI toolbox, next to the spring clamp pliers. ;-)

what he said x100!!! now... where did you get those spring clamp pliers!!?? I made a pair that work decent enough butlooking for a better version...

makos101

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 ALH Black 2003 Jetta
When getting the 250$ cable and software is that all I have to pay? My friend insists that there is a 100$ setup fee also. Thanks for any advice.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Have you registered your VCDS-Lite for $99 or are you trying to run an auto-scan with the unregistered version??? (It doesn't work...)

If you have registered it, then Ross-Tech will give you a $100 credit towards one of their authentic cables... The lowest-priced cables are $249 - and depending on whether you're going to use it for pre-CAN-bus cars (ca 2005.5) or CAN-bus cars, you can get one of those, or, if you anticipate helping others, the higher-end cables will handle both types... In any case, the authentic Ross-Tech cables have a built-in "dongle" that allows the full featured software to run unimpeded... (that would also apply if you bought a used Ross-Tech cable from someone, although you wouldn't personally qualify for support, but there's usually none needed...)

Yuri

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
When getting the 250$ cable and software is that all I have to pay? My friend insists that there is a 100$ setup fee also. Thanks for any advice.
The cable (w/ built-in dongle) is either $250 or $350 (depending on which one you want/need). That's it, no setup fee, no charge for software updates, no other charges of any kind (except for shipping for the cable). Simple, and remarkably cheap considering the power of the tool (VW charges about $30,000 for an equivalent scan tool).

Have Fun!

Don

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Im having a horrible vagcom experience. I have a cheap cable off of ebay and am trying to figure out how to use it with VCDS Lite. I get it connected to my car and I have run a auto scan which has turned up nothing. I have some questions. Is VCDS Light limited in what I can do? What can I do with the lite version? I just replaced the timing belt and would like to check the timing/play with my injectors after installing new nozzles. Thanks for any tips.
There is an excellent thread titled "Getting that ebay cable to work" or something like that written by NB_tdi. It will walk you through everything you need.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=224167&highlight=ebay+cable

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I paid the $99 for VCDS Lite and bought a cheap cable from alpha-bid on ebay. Here is their direct web site: http://www.alpha-bid.com/VwAudiAutoToPcCables.html

FWIW, I have had no problems whatsoever. I have access to all the timing values I need. I can use the timing graph too (another post about a month ago questioned this).

For the limited times I use the set-up I am very happy with my purchase. But, I guess you can never go wrong with purchasing one of the Ross-Tech cables/dongles.

I think a lot of the complaints with VCDS Lite are from folks that didn't pay the shareware fee and are using the crippled version that has many of the most valuable features disabled. In many cases I am not sure they even realize that the version they are using is not fully functional.

Ross-Tech has a nice web page listing the features of VCDS, VCDS Lite (paid version), and VCDS Lite (crippled version). Users should review their web site prior to making a purchase decision IMHO.

Finally, here is the link to the function table from Ross-Tech: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

Paul.

Last edited:

makos101

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 ALH Black 2003 Jetta
Hey guys could the fact that my 03 jetta has a aftermarket pioneer stereo have something to do with why the vagcom cannon connect to my car completly? I read something like the k line needs to be grounded? I need to get a set of extractor keys to pull my radio. I can read the trouble codes through vwtools when when i try to go into my engine with vcds lite it says connection lost.

This is the error I get http://tinypic.com/r/2d9urcy/7

When I test it is says its ok. http://tinypic.com/r/34zj96f/7

I can read the hidden codes with vwtools.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey guys could the fact that my 03 jetta has a aftermarket pioneer stereo have something to do with why the vagcom cannon connect to my car completly? I read something like the k line needs to be grounded? I need to get a set of extractor keys to pull my radio. I can read the trouble codes through vwtools when when i try to go into my engine with vcds lite it says connection lost.
It is possible, read this:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Have Fun!

Don

argavc

TDI
Vw BORA
VCDS lite 1.2 Full Registered Activated

Hi, Only for info, if you need this SW please search Internet with the name in tittle, download it, disable your antivirus and install, work perfect.:p

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi, .... download it, disable your antivirus and install, work perfect.:p
1) Download this cracked software only if you trust the hacker who cracked it, AND if you have no problem with supporting thieves (and stealing from a long-time TDIClub supporter).
2) I will NEVER disable my anti-virus software to run ANY program, especially software from an unknown source.

Follow argavc's advice at your own risk!

Have Fun!

Don

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I paid the $99 for VCDS Lite and bought a cheap cable from alpha-bid on ebay. Here is their direct web site: http://www.alpha-bid.com/VwAudiAutoToPcCables.html

FWIW, I have had no problems whatsoever. I have access to all the timing values I need. I can use the timing graph too (another post about a month ago questioned this).

For the limited times I use the set-up I am very happy with my purchase. But, I guess you can never go wrong with purchasing one of the Ross-Tech cables/dongles.

I think a lot of the complaints with VCDS Lite are from folks that didn't pay the shareware fee and are using the crippled version that has many of the most valuable features disabled. In many cases I am not sure they even realize that the version they are using is not fully functional.

Ross-Tech has a nice web page listing the features of VCDS, VCDS Lite (paid version), and VCDS Lite (crippled version). Users should review their web site prior to making a purchase decision IMHO.

Finally, here is the link to the function table from Ross-Tech: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

Paul.
Thanks Paul, this answers my question, I too picked up a $15 FTDI adapter, (off ebay) came with a mini cd..the driver was old, I went to FTDI site and downloaded the latest, then downloaded RT VCDS lite, and now I can do quite a bit with it, I think I'll pay the $99 and unlock more features.., I already diagnosed and repaired cam sensor problem, that I could not even see with an OBD2 scanner,no wonder my fuel economy sucked, and cold starting problems, also the radio antenna open circuit...cleared air bag warning lite, to name a few.

it's only an 04 Jetta, and only has about 10 controllers, I think a registered Lite should be enough, for now, if not I can then upgrade to a full VCDS and receive the $99 as credit.

sam

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
The cable (w/ built-in dongle) is either $250 or $350 (depending on which one you want/need). That's it, no setup fee, no charge for software updates, no other charges of any kind (except for shipping for the cable). Simple, and remarkably cheap considering the power of the tool (VW charges about $30,000 for an equivalent scan tool).

Have Fun!

Don
This isn't quite true.

VW's tool (VAS [some numbers]) is way more more more powerful than this tiny tool. It can perform adaptations which are out of scope in VCDS, also it has got a possibility to update the software of control modules (e.g. ECU, CECM, etc).

Basically VCDS is a DTC scan/clear tool which also can be used to disable seatbelt chime in such cases when your car functions properly.

Personally I own a genuine cable with full version but I think it's a little pricey for everyone to have it.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This isn't quite true.

VW's tool (VAS [some numbers]) is way more more more powerful than this tiny tool. It can perform adaptations which are out of scope in VCDS, also it has got a possibility to update the software of control modules (e.g. ECU, CECM, etc).

Basically VCDS is a DTC scan/clear tool which also can be used to disable seatbelt chime in such cases when your car functions properly.

Personally I own a genuine cable with full version but I think it's a little pricey for everyone to have it.
You are correct that the VW tool can re-write controller code which VCDS cannot do. I have never heard of any other adaptation that VW can do that VCDS cannot (except immobilizer function with a new key). Also VCDS has the distinct advantage over most of the VAG tools of being portable. Most of the VW shop tools are computers on a cart that must be rolled around the shop. With VCDS you can sit it on the passenger seat and drive around and log all sorts of data points. This is the main reason that many VW tech support people carry a VCDS cable and computer of their own.

I agree that not everyone needs to have VCDS (it is too pricey for some), but I also believe that everyone who does not have VCDS should know someone near them does own it.

Have Fun!

Don

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seems that latest VAS'es are portable too. The adapter is bluetooth and software is being installed to a laptop. Since I'm totally not in that business at all, I've never seen it live.

need4speed

Veteran Member
Thanks Paul, this answers my question, I too picked up a $15 FTDI adapter, (off ebay) came with a mini cd..the driver was old, I went to FTDI site and downloaded the latest, then downloaded RT VCDS lite, and now I can do quite a bit with it, I think I'll pay the $99 and unlock more features.., I already diagnosed and repaired cam sensor problem, that I could not even see with an OBD2 scanner,no wonder my fuel economy sucked, and cold starting problems, also the radio antenna open circuit...cleared air bag warning lite, to name a few.

it's only an 04 Jetta, and only has about 10 controllers, I think a registered Lite should be enough, for now, if not I can then upgrade to a full VCDS and receive the $99 as credit.

sam
I am not sure if this is still an issue with Windows 7; but with the older Win XP version, you can get into a situation if you plug the "ebay cable" into your computer, and Windows automatically installs a driver. That driver won't (ever) work. So you have to unplug the cable, go into Device Manager, and delete the driver. THEN you go to the FTDI site, and install their driver, THEN it is safe to plug the cable in, so that it will work.

You also need to make sure that there's no COM port that conflicts with the COM port settings in VCDS-Lite.

Aside from diagnosing faults (and resetting glow-plug CEL's) - the most useful thing, imo, that VCDS can do, is set the keyless entry so that it unlocks all the doors with one button-press, instead of two, (like every other car; requiring two presses is super-annoying).

(edit: I respect the work that Ross Tech has done, and I agree that they need to be paid for their development work - but I wouldn't say that any cost was "justified" simply because VW charges $30,000 for their tool. For what they charge for these cars, it would be a trivial matter for VW to put a diagnostic interface on the dashboard somewhere - as was done with the mid-1990's BMW's; pre-ODBC, you can access codes using a stomp-test procedure, and the numbers flash on a dashboard indicator. I understand why some procedures require "special tools" in most cases - like the retaining pins and such for the TB change; I think that the "special" bolt on the fuel pump, or the MAF, is stupid, and I'd like to slap the engineer who decided that was a good idea. I have the same feelings about VW's decision to lock trouble-codes behind a proprietary $30,000 dealer-only interface; thank goodness for Ross Tech and Metalnerd for cheap access to these tools. Don't blame them for wanting to sell them so they can eat. Blame VW for "rent-seeking" in their car design. And yes, I'm aware BMW has their own "special tool" racket, as does almost every car manufacturer.)

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think some heavy-duty VW machines have built in fault code reader you're talking about into the cluster interface - VW Crafter would be an example.