LED tail light suprise

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
Ok, I finally installed the LED tails.... and what a mess it was. Not only that I broke one of the wires, I couldn't get the terminals out of the passenger side connector... so I used the "cut the wire and connect" method... looks ghetto, but works. I all ready ordered new connectors with repair wires so that I can finish the job right...
Anyhow, now about the surprise. When I was done reconnecting of the connections, I decided to test the lights before I did any coding and... lights worked perfectly?? no "bulb out" light came on, the outer led's were blinking amber while inners one were red when brake was applied... both outer and inner leds were red with parking lights turned on. From what I have read, coding was required to get the amber turn feature. So did VW do something differently? Also, can someone tell my type of cecm this is?This is screen pic of CECM number.

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
NB_TDi said:
***? you were chopping wires in a 2009?

There goes your warranty.
DEALER: Sorry Mr. _____ but your warranty claim for your blown turbo has been denied because you cut the wires in your taillight! :D

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Ed's TDI said:
DEALER: Sorry Mr. _____ but your warranty claim for your blown turbo has been denied because you cut the wires in your taillight! :D
And they'd probably have every right too. If you muck with the tail lights, how do they know you didn't fudge any else up?

They don't

Warranty cancelled!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I would be very surprised if a dealer denied a warranty claim because someone installed different tail lights in their car. IMO, worrying about that is a little over the top. When my '09 comes in there will be several small mods right off the bat. This is no different from any other new car I've owned.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Pelican18TQA4 said:
I would be very surprised if a dealer denied a warranty claim because someone installed different tail lights in their car. IMO, worrying about that is a little over the top. When my '09 comes in there will be several small mods right off the bat. This is no different from any other new car I've owned.
Sure adding different lights doesn't cancel a warranty. But cutting wires sure would.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
NB_TDi said:
Sure adding different lights doesn't cancel a warranty. But cutting wires sure would.
You poor canadians dont have the maggnuson-moss warranty act up there.

HAHA![/nelson]

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I don't understand the question.

pawel said:
Ok, I finally installed the LED tails.... and what a mess it was. Not only that I broke one of the wires, I couldn't get the terminals out of the passenger side connector... so I used the "cut the wire and connect" method... looks ghetto, but works. I all ready ordered new connectors with repair wires so that I can finish the job right...
Anyhow, now about the surprise. When I was done the butchery of the connections, I decided to test the lights before I did any coding and... lights worked perfectly?? no "bulb out" light came on, the outer led's were blinking amber while inners one were red when brake was applied... both outer and inner leds were red with parking lights turned on. From what I have read, coding was required to get the amber turn feature. So did VW do something differently? Also, my cecm has 29 bytes?
any thoughts?
This is screen pic of CECM number.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Pelican18TQA4 said:
The Magnuson Moss Act (USA) prevents dealers from denying a warranty claim due to installation of aftermarket parts. The only way they can deny a warranty is if the aftermarket part(s) actually CAUSED the problem. And they can only deny the warranty of that part. The rest of the car is still under warranty.

So unless the OP has a wiring problem at the taillights, his warranty is still good.

I fought a Chevy dealer because they tried to deny a transmission warranty because the truck was lowered. I faxed over a copy of the Magnuson Moss Act to the service manager and they promptly started the warranty process. :)

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
Got Bearings? said:
The Magnuson Moss Act (USA) prevents dealers from denying a warranty claim due to installation of aftermarket parts. The only way they can deny a warranty is if the aftermarket part(s) actually CAUSED the problem. And they can only deny the warranty of that part. The rest of the car is still under warranty.

So unless the OP has a wiring problem at the taillights, his warranty is still good.

I fought a Chevy dealer because they tried to deny a transmission warranty because the truck was lowered. I faxed over a copy of the Magnuson Moss Act to the service manager and they promptly started the warranty process. :)
Thanks...

And I'm not chopping but splicing and using connectors, ok. Now the reason why i posted was just to let people know that not all vac-com settings are the same between new and 05.5 tdi's. furthermore, i was hoping that someone could tell me what type of cecm i have.

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
pawel said:
Thanks...

And I'm not chopping but splicing and using connectors, ok. Now the reason why i posted was just to let people know that not all vac-com settings are the same between new and 05.5 tdi's. furthermore, i was hoping that someone could tell me what type of cecm i have.
I see you're in Philadelphia. I'm about 45 minutes outside the city so if you want to meet up we can do a VAG-COM scan to see what the part # is.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
I see you're in Philadelphia. I'm about 45 minutes outside the city so if you want to meet up we can do a VAG-COM scan to see what the part # is.
3C8 937 049 D

Mrstacy

TDI
2009 loyal laser blue sedan
Purdy Lights

Well I just completed my amber transition too on an 09 Jetta. I ran into similar problems removing the wires to switch them around. The driver's side wires just would not come out. A wire broke before it came out.

Recommendations:

Have a backup plan if a wire breaks or the connector gets damaged. That would be a soldering kit or better yet order a replacement connector just in case.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
More recommendations: Use a proper tool to remove the wire so it doesn't break? I'm sorry if it seems harsh but I've pulled all sorts of VW wires out of connectors with paper clips even and haven't bent, mangles, or broken a single thing. Yes, even the tail lights on my 06 when I switched to club Amber. There is a fellow who sells the tool for this in the for sale forums if you can't get a paperclip to work properly.

Nonsmoker

TDI
2009 Silver Jetta
I have the same question as the original poster. I also have the 3C8 937 049 D CECM and can't figure out if it's a highline controller or not. I'd like to add the OEM projector foglights but am not sure this CECM will work with them. Anyone know?

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
Nonsmoker said:
I have the same question as the original poster. I also have the 3C8 937 049 D CECM and can't figure out if it's a highline controller or not. I'd like to add the OEM projector foglights but am not sure this CECM will work with them. Anyone know?
I think that we have midline CECM. If you are planning on installing a fog lights, I do not think that they would function like OEM install. I ordered a highline CECM to have all the OEM functions, like use of the switch, bulb out indicator...