Buying Certified Pre Owned VW-Couple of questions.

VW_Jedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Silver with Black Leather
I'm buying a 2001 Jetta to replace the one I wrecked in January. This is my first time buying from VW. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Has anyone purchased the "Sym-Tech Protection". I am debating whether the $700 is worth it. The brochure promises Teflon paint protection, Underbody protection and Upholstery protection. All guaranteed for life.

What does any of this really do?

Coop

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
[ QUOTE ]
(snip) Has anyone purchased the "Sym-Tech Protection". I am debating whether the $700 is worth it. The brochure promises Teflon paint protection, Underbody protection and Upholstery protection. All guaranteed for life. What does any of this really do? Coop

[/ QUOTE ]

__. Sheesh, somebody pinch me -- I think I'm back in 1979!!! What does this really do??? It takes about $700 out of your pocket and puts it in the stealers. If you want some cheap, sleazy spray-on stuff on your upholstery and underbody, you can buy about $12 worth of spray cans and do it yourself. These "Hi-Tech" treatments are about the biggest automotive ripoff known to man!

__. Just Say No!!!! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
-

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
[ QUOTE ]
__. Just Say No!!!! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif-

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Skip the add-ons. Get some scotchguard if you REALLY need to and spray it on. Actually any additional door fill rust addative will end up plugging the drain holes and rusting out the bottom of the doors. Actual cost of it including the worthless warranty registration is about $145 if it's dealer installed.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Ranks right up there w/ extended warranties....sorta like McDonald'$ french fries -- pure, unadulterated profit /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

hey, get the VIN glass etching while you're at it (not!)

In the immortal words of David Hannum (not PT Barnum), "There's a sucker born every minute." /images/graemlins/wink.gif

T

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
you have to remember - the finance guy is a sales guy too. he's gonna try and sell you everything under the sun - buy none of it!

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
[ QUOTE ]
..."Sym-Tech Protection".

[/ QUOTE ]

...put your checkbook back in your pocket, and step away from the stealer, NOW.

VW_Jedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS, Silver with Black Leather
Wow, don't hold back guys. Tell me what you really think. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Coop

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
I'd buy from a fellow TDICLUB member before I'd go near a VW certified car. The stealership will screw you any chance they can get. On the other hand, if you buy from a club member, you have the sponsorship of some of the most knowledgeable TDI entheusiasts on the planet.

That won't get you a free turbo if it breaks, but then again-the certified warranty may not, either. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Good luck

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
<font color="purple"> Just say NO to dealer fraud !!

</font> [ QUOTE ]

Has anyone purchased the "Sym-Tech Protection". I am debating whether the $700 is worth it. The brochure promises Teflon paint protection, Underbody protection and Upholstery protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

a 600F+ temperature is required for Teflon to bond to a surface.

Is the dealer gonna apply the stuff with a blow torch? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif