Went from 40+ MPG to 10+ MPG. Time to move on...Sort of..

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I had been trying to sell the TDI right before the scandal hit and when it did drop it pretty much crushed my plans to do anything for a while. Well fast forward and I've lost patience plus I do think VW is nearing a solution. How long it will take to completely resolve this and for me to unload my TDI remains to be seen but I've got my Jeep.

Picked up a leftover new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Received a great deal and got it for over 8k off MSRP which is tough to do on the SRT's.

I no longer have a long commute and I've been wanting to get back into a V8 and something quick, but I still needed to have an all season vehicle so this was a good compromise. So far I absolutely love it. Put about 1k miles on it and have a smile every time I drive it...

TDI will be going away just as soon as I can.

***I do have an awesome Subwoofer and amplifier that would be perfect for anyone else with a Passat TDI if anyone is in the market for some Excellent Bass. I'm not sure I can make it work in the jeep.

I appreciate everyone's help on this forum and I will still be around from time to time and definitely frequently until the TDI is off my hands.

Anyway here are some pictures of the Jeep. Poor Passat has practically been kicked to the curb :D

IMG_1582 by
ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_1577 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_1564 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_1571 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

IMG_1584 by ChadS99SVT, on Flickr

jimnmari

TDI
'12 Passat SE DSG
I did the EXACT same thing. Black on Black though. Love the Laguna leather in yours! Nice combo.

Enjoy the SRT ... I'm going full headers and exhaust next month, order placed this morning.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I did the EXACT same thing. Black on Black though. Love the Laguna leather in yours! Nice combo.

Enjoy the SRT ... I'm going full headers and exhaust next month, order placed this morning.
Thanks. What exhaust are you going with? I was really liking the GT haus but the price and the fact it's an O/R exhaust I'm not sure I want to mess with the emissions testing.

I do plan to get some sort of cat back at a minimum. Probably keep it mostly stock for now.

Post up a pic of yours :D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Congratulations to both of you. Enjoy your new rides, they sound perfect for your needs.
How about moving your conversation to PMs, or a Jeep forum?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I said congratulations, didn't I? What else should I say, that I'm going to go out and do what you did?
Not upset at all. Discuss your Jeeps with Jeep folk, that's all. Not much that VW owners can say that will ever be of interest to you.
...carry on...

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I said congratulations, didn't I? What else should I say, that I'm going to go out and do what you did?
Not upset at all. Discuss your Jeeps with Jeep folk, that's all. Not much that VW owners can say that will ever be of interest to you.
...carry on...
it's not what else you should say... i just think you should hold back the neutral comments. if two jeep owners on a tdi forums can chat about another interest, so be it.

it's of interest to me as well. so that makes us a majority in this thread! former TJ and JK owner out.

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You may not believe this but I sold my Passat TDI and also bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee, though not a SRT. Mine is the 3.6L overland.

I really like it though I do miss the days of 45mpg

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Congratulations to both of you. Enjoy your new rides, they sound perfect for your needs.
How about moving your conversation to PMs, or a Jeep forum?
Lol. I'll be sure to check in with pictures of my new truck if/when this whole mess ever gets ironed out.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
...carry on...
You did and thank you.

I do still own a TDI and probably will for at least 3-6 months until VW buys it back. So AT least until then I will be very interested in this forum.

I'm also hoping someone will want to buy my subwoofer setup for their Passat. It's custom and badass for anyone looking for something like that.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
congrats on the jeep, we too are looking at getting into jeep gc after the buyback is done with. For now its going to be a v6 overland model and eventually a srt with the supercharged engine if that ever still makes it to the market.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Love the color. But of all the functions I've attended with my jeeps (currently own 2), I've never seen a SRT at any of them. I'm sure they are all down at the local drag strip winning pink slips or at the local BP filling up. Both my jeeps have the 3.7. My 09 is tricked out and I'm lucky to get 200 miles (city) on a 21 gal tank..

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Funny thing about Jeeps and VW's. I was told once that lots of VW owners also own Jeeps. :rolleyes: Guess we like burning the ends of both candles. One with GREAT mileage and one with $hitty mileage. :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Congrats on the Jeep SRTs. They're very nice vehicles, but I couldn't bring myself to double my carbon emissions on transportation. As for dieselgate, it looks like good (relatively, that is) news is on the horizon for owners of 2009+ TDIs, with possible buybacks and owner compensation.

Enjoy! :cool:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I woulnt mind replacing the dub with a Trackhawk. Mileage be dammed 700 hp would make me gladly fill the tank every time.

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have retired and my commute is over and now I just do local, less than 10 mile, travel. Parked the Passat until dieselgate is sorted out and bought a '16 BMW X5 to replace it as my retirement present to me. My '02 Golf TDI is still going strong and I will keep that until the wheels fall off.

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
Funny thing about Jeeps and VW's. I was told once that lots of VW owners also own Jeeps. :rolleyes: Guess we like burning the ends of both candles. One with GREAT mileage and one with $hitty mileage. :D
Funny, as I started to read your post I thought you were going to go down the path of being a glutton for punishment by bad dealer experiences and constant quality issues but you found a different angle.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I have retired and my commute is over and now I just do local, less than 10 mile, travel. Parked the Passat until dieselgate is sorted out and bought a '16 BMW X5 to replace it as my retirement present to me. My '02 Golf TDI is still going strong and I will keep that until the wheels fall off.
Nice! X5 is a great vehicle. Yeah my commute is now under 10 miles. I don't think I will ever take a job again with a 100 mile round trip commute. Not sure it's worth it anymore.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I woulnt mind replacing the dub with a Trackhawk. Mileage be dammed 700 hp would make me gladly fill the tank every time.
Me too. I will be watching closely in the next 2-3 years and might pick one up. It's hard to imagine another 200+ hp. But it sure sounds fun! Lol