Engine struggling for air, sucking noise, loss of power

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Folx,

Up on all the maintenance :), including air filter.

Noticed today that I seem to have some kind of air starvation issue going: everything is fine till I try to accelerate and place the engine over 2K RPM. For example, I am in 6th gear, around 55mph. Trying to accelerate to 60 would produce that wooshing/sucking air and it would take forever to accelerate.

I start hearing loud air sucking/wooshing noises coming from under the hood somewhere and there's pronounced loss of power. As if engine is struggling for air and cant get due to some kind of restriction.

I dont hear any signs of turbo troubles nor is there the CEL light.

I looked for any obvious restrictions in the air path and couldn't find any - will look more when it gets brighter.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Sure sounds like the turbo but have you changed the fuel filter on schedule?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If turbo isn't providing enough boost the ECU is asking (not providing the power demanded), a MIL would be on the dash. Anything look odd under the hood?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, it seems that when pressure builds up past the turbo, there's a leak somewhere in there, it is a nice clean sound of air gushing out.

Went to look at it now that sun is up. No obvious signs of problems and I can not find the pressure-side air hose out of the turbo. Is it directly below in the rubber hose from the air filter ? I have a boroscope at home, may be use that to peak in there.

Would that be covered under the VW's recently extended turbo wty ?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
sounds exactly like my car when the charge hose went out. No mil ever set on mine either. The hose is only about 6 inches long with a 60 deg bend in it. Have to take battery and air box out to get to it.

And no it isnt covered under turbo warranty. Its not a difficult DIY. Even at a mechanic no terribly expensive. My was covered by Geico MBI at abiit $400 iirc

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Hoping they dont know turbo from a hose and I get a new turbo, gratis, courtesy of VW.

Otherwise, it is $120 "diag" + $200 Part + 2 hrs of labor :)
Ouch !!!

Anyone has the P/N for JIC ?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Another vote for the charge hose, that sounds exactly like what happened to mine as well. I dont live anywhere near a dealer so picked up some radiator hose from an auto parts store and fixed it for $10. I found a hose that had just the right bend in the middle of it, cut it down to size and installed it, it has worked for almost 2 years now and didn't take much time to fix.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you remember the diameter ?
Also - did u have to remove anything to get to the hose ? I heard airbox and battery need to be removed to get access ?

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Do you remember the diameter ?
Also - did u have to remove anything to get to the hose ? I heard airbox and battery need to be removed to get access ?
It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I just removed the airbox and battery which is fairly easy. I dont remember what the diameter was it seems like it was 2". It has a funny bend so if possible I would recommend removing the hose and bringing it in to compare and make sure you get a similar bend... that way you can make sure to get the same size as well. I ended up finding a piece that had just the right shape in the middle, so I cut off both ends to the right size and replaced the old one.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool, thanks !

No cigar @ dealer - all of a sudden they grew tech competent and told me what I already new, so no free turbo.

No part in stock and wont even get it till Tue (!) - AND the total would be $520+tax (!). So I paid the $120 diag fee using VW funny money and picked up the car. Will try fixing it myself...

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Cool, thanks !

No cigar @ dealer - all of a sudden they grew tech competent and told me what I already new, so no free turbo.

No part in stock and wont even get it till Tue (!) - AND the total would be $520+tax (!). So I paid the $120 diag fee using VW funny money and picked up the car. Will try fixing it myself...

I had looked up the cost of that hose from VW and decided I was better off buying $10 radiator hose... especially with so many people having issues with VW's.

It's a pretty easy fix, you shouldn't have any problem. The worst part with mine was diagnosing the problem, I couldn't get it it to fail while under the hood since the pressure had to be built up to a certain point to blow through. I could only feel the hole from squeezing the hose at the right spot.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
+1 for a split charge air hose. Go through all of them very carefully, squeeze them, and check for cracks and splits. Sometimes splits are hard to identify when the engine isn't under load, so careful inspection is required.

photo credit: vw_norm

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
+1 for a split charge air hose. Go through all of them very carefully, squeeze them, and check for cracks and splits. Sometimes splits are hard to identify when the engine isn't under load, so careful inspection is required.

photo credit: vw_norm
Reading http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=405198&highlight=split+turbo+hose

Looks like vwnorm bought two 4 ply silicone hoses and trimmed them to fit.
one 2" to 2" 45* angle hose
one 2.25" to 2.25" 90* hose

$100 probably gets you a really nice set of hoses.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
I don't have an issue with the diagnosis - just wanted to point out that our cars have an air flapper valve that closes when we shut the car off. This is a safety against a runaway engine. Common on diesels. If it failed, or partially failed (stuck half open) it would produce the same result.

I've never heard of one failing on our cars - yet.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, that would lead to air starvation too - but w/o that telltale WHOOSH release of compressed air when under the load :)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
intake throttles are used for intake air swirl control (and runaway) Torque almost always shows Vacuum rather than boost with less than 1/2 throttle

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
intake throttles are used for intake air swirl control (and runaway) Torque almost always shows Vacuum rather than boost with less than 1/2 throttle
Torque shows vacuum at what location? I almost never see vacuum on the ScanGauge reading the manifold absolute pressure sensor.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Got a mouse nest in your air filter? It happens, and overnight sometimes...
This happened to my excavator. And then I hauled it in for service! Fortunately, a friend owns the dealer and he was pretty easy on me.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Pretty sure this is what happened to me yesterday. Coming home and got a solid CEL, then climbing a hill loss of power and the dreaded flashing glow pug light. I figured it was a toasted turbo so pulled over, refueled and read the book. Restarted the car and no flashing glow plug light. Made it home with only solid CEL. Will look for busted hose tonight.

Wouldn't VW honor this under their extended 3/36 deal?