What should I expect?

chazvw

TDI
None - Yet
Hello: I am a new member to TDIClub. I have owned a CPO 2008 Passat for a few years now and really love the car. One issue I recently encountered is intake valve carbon build up on my TSI 2.0 engine - which I didn't anticipate. I am considering a 2014 Passat TDI / MT and would like to hear about any problems associated with these cars. I have read about the DPF and HPFP issues - is there anything else I should know about?
Thanks,
Chaz VW

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
There are plenty of resources here. To start, check out the TDI FAQ and TDI 101 threads they will answer many questions you might have and likely provide info you didn't know. My 2014 Passat is my 3rd TDI and 4th VW. I love it!

Happy shopping!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Welcome chazvw! Copy ^^^. FYI, Passat has neither HPFP nor DPF issues. Those are in the Jetta/Golf CRs. Passat CRs are too new for any DPF issues to crop up.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There have been a few reports of premature turbo failures, but so far the HPFP problem hasn't reared its ugly head on the Passats (and I don't expect that it will in the future, either).

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Read through the posts here and you'll find that Passat has some issues. Whether any of these be a deal breaker is questionable in my opinion. Allow me a few comments please.

We own three NMS vehicles. One an SEL Premium and two SE standard cars. The Premium is stunning in every respect but I prefer my SE. I did a 400 mile trip yesterday in nasty weather on mountain roads. Fuel economy averaged a bit over 47 mpg on winter fuel. Handling was exemplary in every respect. I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade for one of the more expensive brands. The SE without options is still a stunning looker.

AdBlue tank slosh. Yup! You can sometimes hear it.

Window fog. It seems more in some cars than others. My SE fogs slightly but is easily corrected with a bit of defrost and a/c.

Slow Nav and backup Cam... Maybe. But this is a deal breaker? How long have we survived without these options without any serious impact on our lives?

Clutch pedal click... My son's SE has the click. It's under warranty. VW will take care of it. Mine does not.

Other issues... Of course! Passat is a product of the human mind and hand. Not every vehicle is equal when it leaves assembly. Then again, is there any product that is?

Peculiarities? Well the Passat is a VW after all. Sometimes I think the engineers have too much time on their hands. It might be of profit to remember that the car delivered to you is not the car possible. Your dealer will deliver the plain vanilla edition and often be totally unaware of the possibilities available by a simple programming change here or there. VagCom will be your friend and open the world of possibles.

Merry Christmas!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
If its of any help, I would purchase my same car all over again in a second- the Plug in Accord may be a close second though but that's because we have 5kw solar on our roof and get free power.
My father is a retired F16 pilot and has some crazy high expectations things he liked about the NMS:
1. Red dash lights at night, huge benefits to red with zero eye strain
2. German road feel- nothing >$30K feels as good as a NMS
3. DSG, he was very impressed at how crisp and smart the gearbox was

chazvw

TDI
None - Yet
So it sounds like the Passat TDI is a pretty reliable car. Aside from all the creature comforts - seating, navigation, heat, etc I am looking for a reliable car. I usually keep my cars for 10 years. I have not driven a TDI yet, so my next step would be to take a test drive. In the meantime, i'll keep reading the forums. Thanks again for all the good info!

snow patrol

TDI
2014 SEL
Well, I was finally able to make a deal today and brought home a 2014 SEL in Reflex Silver with Moonrock interior. Have only driven 60 or so miles, but can say I really like this car!

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
I have not driven a TDI yet, so my next step would be to take a test drive.
I can assure that taking a test drive feels no different than taking a gas car for a ride. The only concern is if you like the car itself, rather than the engine. :):):)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Well, I was finally able to make a deal today and brought home a 2014 SEL in Reflex Silver with Moonrock interior. Have only driven 60 or so miles, but can say I really like this car!
Congrats, enjoy.

chazvw

TDI
None - Yet
Being a TDI newbie I have done a bit of reading on this forum and am very interested in owning a TDI. On thing I noticed was how some of the older VW TDI's are still around with up to 450,000 miles on them. I would probably get bored and want to change cars before that.
The question is: Will today's VW TDI hold up just as well? What are your thoughts.