wont start after timing belt replacement

sjmilks

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
replaced the timing belt along with fuel filter. Car ran for about 30-45 seconds and then shut off. I suspected low fuel but after adding fuel to tank and fuel filter the car still will not start......any ideas? The car is a 2005 jetta 1.9 TDI with BEW engine code

Last edited:
TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Have you put your handy dandy mityvac on the pump and draw fuel through it ? It probably has air in it, as well as the injector lines. Did you crack the nuts at the injectors to bleed air out ?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
sjmilks said:
replaced the timing belt along with fuel filter. Car ran for about 30-45 seconds and then shut off. I suspected low fuel but after adding fuel to tank and fuel filter the car still will not start......any ideas? The car is a 2005 jetta 1.9 TDI with BEW engine code
It's a PD, you have air in the system.

Cycle the ignition to on, but do not start the car. Listen for the fuel pump to run when it shuts off, cycle the ignition to off then back on. Repeat 4-5 times.

DB

N2OKX

TDI
looking
My problem is exactly as sjmilks described. My car is an '02 Jetta, so it is NOT PD. So, does that mean I need to vacuum some fuel through the pump by applying the vacuum at the return line? The car ran fine when I started it up to test. After putting everything back together, I was preparing to hook up the VagCom to check the injection timing and it quit running. I have redone the timing several times and completely filled the filter. It still does not start. I'm ready to pack it up and limp off to the dealer. This is my third timing belt job over the last nine months, but the first time to change a fuel filter at the same time. I'll never do that again. I know better than to try to do two things at once.

Question for sjmilks: did the procedure for the PD engine work for you?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
N2OKX said:
My problem is exactly as sjmilks described. My car is an '02 Jetta, so it is NOT PD. So, does that mean I need to vacuum some fuel through the pump by applying the vacuum at the return line? T
yep. and possibly crack the connection to the injectors until fuel squirts out of them.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Remove the line from the top of the pump and connect to the return line on the pump. Do not pull the T apart, you'll break it. Draw for a long time them as someone tries to start it crack an injector a bit until you see fuel. It should start shortly thereafter.

rdkern said:
yep. and possibly crack the connection to the injectors until fuel squirts out of them.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
When I did my belt and when I do my fuel filters I always crack 2 injectors and wait for it to squirt then starts right up. I don't bother with the mity vac step as I don't have 1.

N2OKX

TDI
looking
Thank you for the quick responses. Sounds like a few others have done the same. This morning, I applied a vacuum to the return line without much result. I was using a brake bleeder tank, so maybe it did not pull much vacuum. Anyway, I then tried starting the car with the vac applied and finally saw some liquid in the line. Since it still did not start, I then cracked the nuts on the injectors, one at a time and cranked the starter each time until I saw liquid. After getting all four bled, I attempted another start. Yes! It worked!!!! I then checked my injection timing and found it to be within range and slightly advanced, where I like to keep it. Finally, I can clear my bay and get on to another car.

jasonTDI

TDI
Kind of a sinking feeling when they don't start huh? BTDT. Long time ago....

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
WrEkkED said:
...when I do my fuel filters I always crack 2 injectors and wait for it to squirt then starts right up.
Do you pre-fill your new fuel filter??? (I use my Pela oil extractor to pull fuel through the new filter...) I've never had any trouble starting the engine after a fuel filter change as the lines post filter always remain full...

Yuri.

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
Thats one thing I dont do always do one job first like timing belt then start car , if all is well do fuel filter next ,should eliminate ?s about timing being off, good luck

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep. very true. one can of worms at a time.