Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Those kits are a rip off! Many of the parts can be had for a fraction of what they are asking for. Getting the plastic cone bottom tanks, with stands, is easy.

If your inclined to spend that kind of cash here's a better solution:

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/biopro150.php

For a simple 20-30 gallon processor spending more than $300 is a waste! Ask Bill.

VegBug

crazyjo

TDI
2003 Golf TDI - Candy White
Ok, on the TB change. The reason I was going to start on Sunday was because I was late ordering the parts so I was buying myself an extra day for them to get here. Also, the car is already out of commission and we've actually worked out a pretty reasonable carpool schedule so if things go horribly slow, not having the car on Monday morning isn't a catastrophe.

No, I have never done a TB change before but everyone swears by the how-to on this site and this is going to be at least a three person crew (spouse and DCell have offered their assistance). Brothersnag: thanks for the reminder about the checklist and the offer of your vag-com. I'm still working with Brett to borrow his tools and possibly his expertise but for now, let's plan for Sunday anyway. Anyone have any objections to starting in the morning?

Brett~ sending PM

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
no objections here (after church, though) ... I also have VagCom and have no problem using it, (I would need some specific instructions on what to do, I've only used it for simple stuff in the past.) I also have a bunch of metric tools, though not many of the VW- specific tools you were asking about.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
I spoke with CrazyJo yesterday evening. It seems to me that making a TDI your first TB change ever is pushing things a bit. I'm hoping that we can get together at my house for a GTG to do her TB. It would be a good opportunity for anyone that wants to see one changed before they do their own. I'm trying to work out dates with crazyjo and fyrsail since I am not available this coming Sunday. I would like for fyrsail to to the work, while I assist and answer questions. Hoping for Sat May 10th....

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
AAARRRGGGH!! Can everyone please send me their email address? The list I created seems to be hosed and when I try to fix the addresses are still wrong!

You can just do PM to me and then I can copy and paste.

Sorry for the screw up!

Vegbug

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
sounds fun

Hey this all sounds fun, I'm offshore untill the 7th of may so i can play after that. just let me know for sure...

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
OK Guys... HHHEEEELLLPPPP!!!!!

I drove my Jetta to work last night and all was going well. I put about 300-325 miles on it and was heading back to Indy to get another load going north toward home and it just died on I-74 at Shelbyville. I had a friend come pick me up and I went back down today and brought it home in my trailer. I immediately suspected fuel filter issues, but after playing around with it, I am not so sure. I was cruising at 75ish and it all of a sudden quite, just like you would expect with a plugged fuel filter. I bypassed the filter and actually put the feed line in a clean container of diesel, but it won't start. Any ideas... I plan on changing the fuel filter, but don't have any at the moment. I do have a 2 tank greasecar system with co-pilot. I was running on grease when it quite, but purged over to diesel immediately. I changed the grease filter, but I can't switch to grease until it is at the correct temp. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I may not reply to any questions until tomorrow as I have had less then 2 hours of sleep in the past 48. Thanks!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Guiffster,

I had a similar situation happen to me, just driving and engine died. After coming to a stop I tried to start engine the engine would crank but would not catch.

My problem was related to an air leak or air being sucked in to the return fuel line from the IP to the last glow plug. I'm not saying this will be the same area for you but you may have to purge the system of air.

Use one of those vacuum tester things, $40 bucks at Sears. I connected mine to the end connected to the IP fuel return port then pumped up to 25 bars, released and repeat until you see fuel entering the collection cup. After that I started the car it took a few minutes but she finally started to sputter and finally fired up. Process took me about 20-30 minutes.

This happened to me twice in a week. After replacing the return fuel line I haven't had the problem, it's been over a month.

Hope this is all it is. Good luck!

VegBug

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
WERE YOU ON GREASE and did it startback up?

If you were running on grease when the engine died you should check your veg oil tank as you may have had a clog devolop as this has happened to me As for purging to dieselif the engine is not running no fuel moves, this could make for even more fun, I wish i was there to help out but im out of country today till the 7th. email me a number and ill call you to talk you through the starting procedure for grease blockage.

guiffster said:
OK Guys... HHHEEEELLLPPPP!!!!!

I drove my Jetta to work last night and all was going well. I put about 300-325 miles on it and was heading back to Indy to get another load going north toward home and it just died on I-74 at Shelbyville. I had a friend come pick me up and I went back down today and brought it home in my trailer. I immediately suspected fuel filter issues, but after playing around with it, I am not so sure. I was cruising at 75ish and it all of a sudden quite, just like you would expect with a plugged fuel filter. I bypassed the filter and actually put the feed line in a clean container of diesel, but it won't start. Any ideas... I plan on changing the fuel filter, but don't have any at the moment. I do have a 2 tank greasecar system with co-pilot. I was running on grease when it quite, but purged over to diesel immediately. I changed the grease filter, but I can't switch to grease until it is at the correct temp. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I may not reply to any questions until tomorrow as I have had less then 2 hours of sleep in the past 48. Thanks!

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
May 10th works for CrazyJo to do the timing belt at my house. I'm figuring we will start at 9am and take a break for lunch around noon. I'm planning on hamburgers on the grill. If you would like to come watch, send me a PM and I will give you directions. Bringing your own copy of the the DBW procedure to follow and takes notes as we go along might be helpful if you plan on doing a TB yourself - just a suggestion (do whatever you want!).

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Thanks Brett! Just sent out a group email to everyone, that I have correctly, about the event with some other questions for ya.

Thanks

VegBug

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
Hey DCELL,
Thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the Jetta running.:( I am not sure what is wrong at this point.:confused: It seems to be sucking air into the IP when the engine is turning over. I can pull it all out and get straight diesel with a mighty vac and then as soon as I crank the engine again, I get air. I have changed all my return lines and checked/re-checked all lines going to the pump for tightness. I am going to order a CAT 2 micron filter for it on Monday and some new fuel lines and new clamps. Maybe I am missing something, but I have done troubleshooting from the filter and back many times. I am wondering if there is a seal inside the IP that could have blown allowing air to get into the system. Special thanks to fyrsail and vegbug for their suggestions!:) Will keep working on it, slow and steady...

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Guiffster- I wish I knew the answer! sounds like slow but sure might be the answer. I hope your pump didn't fail, but it sure doesn't sound good. Is there a way to test the pump itself to make sure it is putting out the proper pressure?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
me too.. Not going to Impexfest though. A little more of a drive than I have time for this weekend!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I have one guy I can ask, but I haven't talked to him in a few months. There is a slight possibility that my future father in law could do it, but his shop is northeast of ft. wayne, and I don't think his equipment is portable. Are you still looking for someone to weld your funnel onto a barrell?

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Fyrsail,

That was one nice fish! Do you know what it was?

DCELL, yeah I'm still needing to do the funnel welding thing. What I'm wanting to do is make my own funnel based on this:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor3.html

Do you think your future father-in-law would be willing to help? I know Fyrsail might have a connection as well. But at these prices on DinoD it's killing my wallet! I've been making small batches using less than optimal techniques.

Thanks

VegBug

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll ask him this weekend. I'm going up tomorrow (sunday) to help him pull the tranny out of his '36 Auburn speedster. If he says he'll do it, I still would need to haul your barrell and stuff up to his place. Do you think it would fit in the back of the golf?

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
trailer____

I have a trailer for the jetta if you have a friend that is willing to weld ill trailer barrels, And I dont know if this makes me a freak but I'm really looking forward to the TB change this weekend.

BTW it was a blackfin tuna- pretty rare for this area.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
I drum I have is just a 16 gallon one it's pretty small. I was able to get a 55 gallon drum in the back of the Beetle so I would imagine a 16 gallon drum would fit in the Golf.

Thanks

Black fin tuna....yummmmmmmmmy...SUSHI

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I am so looking forward to TB change also. I guess that makes me a freak too...
I need to just buy a F*****G welder and teach myself to do this kind of stuff.

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
trying to allocate a welder

I have a friend that knows of a welder for sale that im trying to get...

And im bringing some tuna to the sat event for those who woul;d like to try some fresh fish.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Jerry-
no luck with my future father in law... he says he hasn't had a welder in 20 years. I was surprised because he has a lot of machine tools. I'll see if if I can get in touch with my friend. I'll let you know