Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tditaylor

TDI
2012 Jetta
How often do you guys have meets? I'm a new TDI'er and I'm from farther north but my mom lives in Carmel and I visit there often and wouldn't mind meeting up with some fellow enthusiasts!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Unfortunately not as frequently as we should! We tend to get together on individual bases to help one another out. But I know must are willing to always meet fellow TDI enthusiasts.

Phoneguy78

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hey guys here to beg for some advise again. I have a noise coming from my right front wheel. I assumed it was the tires (they were old) got them replaced and the alignment done on the front. But there is still a noise. The vibration in the wheel is gone but there is a low grumbling noise. it starts at about 20 and the frequency and pitch go up with speed. When I turn to the right about 4 degrees it goes away completely. I was thinking it was a wheel bearing but I drive under a bridge on the way home and have the windows down all the way but can't hear any other noise. Do you guys think this is a wheel bearing or a CV joint? And what is the best/safest way to test? I have heard people say jack up the car and put it in drive but that seems a little unsafe.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Grumbling is most likely a wheel bearing. Set your car up safely and carefully on jack stands and let the clutch out in 5th gear, feel/listen to vibrations.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
same way, but use 3, or the highest selectable gear you have. cannot remember if they go PRND321 or if its just a PRNDL on the 01m. you want to have the car driving the wheels with it up on stands. (make sure its SECURE) and stay safely away from the spinning tires.

manual_tranny

TDI
Alternatively, you could do what I would do if I heard a rumbling: install a pair of new wheel bearings assuming that the nose would be repaired. :)

It sounds silly/unnecessary, but wheel bearing questions come up almost every day now that mkiv vehicles are collectively reaching high miles. I think it's becoming routine maintenance for most of us.

manual_tranny

TDI
cool, I might just replace the bearings. How hard is it to do?
It can be a pretty big pain in the butt.. However if you're interested you can read Scurvy's thread. He had a nice DIY plus if you read through the discussion you can find out ahead of time how people have gotten hung up in various ways. (Myself included!) I'm on my phone now so I can't copy the link, but if you search it will appear. :)

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
Hmm must be that time of year. I have one going out as well. If I can get one last warm weekend I'll tackle that and more then likely the CV joint while I'm in it. But the way the weather is going the car very well may just go to the shop. :)

Phoneguy78

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI
well it was the bearing. The shake test didn't show anything. The outer bearing was perfect, the inner was crap. The seal had failed and the bearings were rusting. Checked out Scurvy's post and swapped them out yesterday. Also swapped out the rotors and brake pads. All then noise is gone. Got the harbor freight bearing kit and it worked

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
Finally got ahold of my beloved zippy

The wife just seems to get up earlier than me on most days in recent months and by the time I awake the Golf that I love soo much is long gone , which leaves me driving her F 250 around town.

However this morning she forgot to set her alarm and Zippy was mine, gosh I love driving my car....

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
dsg is quirky, but it really is a nice tranny for the tdi. It's NOT an automatic though... It just shifts like one!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
did a service for a west indiana guy this last week and realized how much I love working on cars. I also took the time to build and catalog the parts that are needed to build the DSG flush tool that sells for $120 on the web and around 250 from the stealership if they will order you one. total was around 40 dollars to build it using parker hanafin pieces, and a Hoppy funnel. works great and with vag com you can service your own, for directions on how to build it PM me. I also plan on puttin a parts list on the DSG area.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I might have you beat on DSG service tool price.

I used a DSG drain plug from the dealer for $14, 1/8"npt x 1.5" brass pipe nipple, air tool quick disconnect male screw on & female with a hose barb on it, about 4' of vinyl tubing, and one of those $5 funnels with hose and shutoff on it from the auto parts store.

other than needing a 1/8" npt pipe tap for the DSG drain plug, its all basic tools needed.

steveg66

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Introducing Myselg

Hello all,

Found this forum through the Vortex, I just wanted to introduce myself.

I have an 11 Jetta Sportswagen that I received in summer.

Been really happy with it until I ran over a piece of steel a couple weeks ago. It put a gash in the rocker panel, bent a rim, and now I have this LOUD low noise as u drive it which I can't seem to locate. Panels been fixed, wheel replaced, tires appear to be fine, just a loud noise that sounds like something from a low frequency bass.

Don't feel the body shop will be able to handle the remaining issues with it now. VW want much help, any suggestions on a great shop in central Indiana that knows the cars well?

I appreciate your time and I wish you all the best during the holidays,

Steve G

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
sound like a directional tire installed facing the wrong direction? It's just a shot in the dark, but if the body shop installed the tire on the new wheel it wouldn't surprise me.
Other things to check:
Bent axle? (run the car up to speed on a lift and look for wobble)
Inner wheel well liner loose and rubbing the tire at speed when wind pushes it? (check for rub marks on the black plastic)
I'm assuming you hear the noise at speed and not at idle.
I'd offer to take a look at it myself, but I'm booked up for a couple of weeks and the Holidays are coming! If you can put it off until after Christmas I'd check it out for you if you want.

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a wheel bearing growl.... or a tire like Dcell says. I am around this week end if you want a second look. pm me...

steveg66

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Thanks for the replies, great advise. I may take you up on your offers to look at it.

I'm taking to Raymonds Alignment in Plainfield on Wednesday for an evaluation and will print this perhaps to help, perhaps it will help.

The car has the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400-2 tires which are a poor tire according to Tirerack reviews and surveys. The complaints that have been posted though dont often mention tire noise and it has a "fair/mediocre" rating. So i've begun thinking diffently.

I am in the construction industry, this is a company supplied vehicle, and we are essentially off for the rest of the year. If Raymonds cant find anything, I'd love for either of you guys to go for a ride and let me know if it is like your car.

Any suggestions or rave reviews for dealerships? I've been to two and have mixed feelings.

Thanks again for your offers and if you don't mind PM'ing me a way to contact you.

BTW- I am really wanting to love this car, I did before the damage.

Steve G

Onefast66nova

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 golf
Hey all Indy folks. I am looking at doing some work to my 2011 golf tdi and didnt know if anyone has had issues with any dealers or no issues for that fact. Don't want them to deny warranty for non dealer work. When I had my 05 GTO there was a local service manager that would warranty everything even long blocks on a s/c car! Just hoping there is a vw like that.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
nova-
here's how it works: Either maintain a relationship with the dealership service department or don't, but do not expect them to cover any warranty unless you can prove the car has been properly maintained elsewhere. If you are having someone else do your work, you'd better make sure they are reputable and you need to save receipts. If you modify that car you can forget about your warranty altogether. Unless you absolutely don't trust any of them, you might consider letting them do your work until your 2011 warranty runs out. AFTER the warranty runs out, you're on your own anyway. If you don't have a relationship with a dealer you can also forget about any customer service or goodwill from VW as well. You should still have some free maintenance with that car, right? Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Onefast66nova

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 golf
Maint wise yes. Just wanted to do an exhaust and tune lol. I bought the extended warranty with it so I'll prolly just try and wait.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
In some literature I happen to have handy for a warranty extension for my '07 passat, VW's exact words are:
This warranty will not cover:
-Any damage or malfunctions caused by installation of non-EPA certified parts, or parts that alter the performance of the engine, engine controls, or exhaust system, such as the installation of engine management components ("chipped" or "tuned" ECMs) not approved by Volkswagen.

I'm sure the original warranty reads much the same!

BTW, Tune and exhaust are well worth the wait, but I had over 100K before I really started modding!!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
the remodeled Zippy

So it seems people in my brothers neighborhood did not like the looks of our new golf on new years eve. So they decided to alter it a little on the drivers side. they obviously thought their car was also a prettier color so they made mine look a little more like their car, by bending up the doors and putting some of their paint on it. they must have thought it looked much better and did not want any thanks so they did not tell us who it was. so next time at my brothers i will look around the lot and destroy their car when i find them. I think it is a fusion does any one need fusion parts a taking a list.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
dude. That sucks a lot. You don't suppose on New Years Eve that those people may have been drinking? Nah, surely not on New Years Eve...

concord206

TDI
jetta 06, Beetle 06
Ugh not cool, I had that same prob this past year in a Marsh lot. Body shop did a nice job just sucked having to mess with the hole thing.