Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
I just found this post and I live in the Indy area! Glad I stumbled on this post! I had a bad experience at Tom wood and will not go back. This is why we bought our cars from dryer in greenwood even though I live 15 min from wood and a little over an hr from dryer. Glad we went there though the parents and I both bought a tdi at the same time and wood would not work with us at all when dryer did. Bill
We bought our TDI from Dryer & Reinold of Greenwood too. I did some research and they came out best!

Onefast66nova

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 golf
Ya they have been great so far through everything. They even stayed late the day I picked up the car to get everything done.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Good morning gang. Woke up this morning and B wouldn't start. Turns over but wont' fire up. Checked under the hood and I notice I've got diesel leaking from the IP. AAAAHHH! So, anyone have any experience with IP's or know of a inexpensive IP repair shop?!
SH!T! SH!T! SH!T! SH!T! SH!T!

Guess I better copy the pages out of the Bentley manual that I checked out from the library.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Anyone ever rebuild a IP? I'm seeing the seal kits and a guy that has a DVD & manual on how to repair Bosch VE IP's? Would the IP in my Bug be a VE? Found a used IP on eBay for $450. Ugh!

Deereman76

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta 5spd.
Vegbug, Where is it leaking? I have had the top apart on my IP a couple of times, but never the head seal or shaft seal.....

On Edit: yes, our pump is a VE pump, but bosch made non electronic pumps that are also VE, so I Dunno on that front..

Last edited:

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Looks like it's leaking from the front middle part of the IP. I haven't had a chance to crank the engine and look where the leak is coming from. Will do that tonight when I get home.

But after searching the forums looks like a seal replacement is in order first before looking for a complete rebuild or replacement. Searching the forums now for a pictorial how to do this on my own.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Have seal kit on it's and should have it my hands tomorrow. Got the kit form International Parts for $20.

Deereman76

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta 5spd.
The top cover on the IP has a "Security" Bolt that requires a special triangle socket. I read where you can drive a certain socket on it, but I tried and cracked the socket. Others report cutting a groove and useing a screwdriver. I bought the special socket from Metalnerd......

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Anyone in the Indy area have a the Metal Nerd triangular socket? And would anyone be willing to come by with their VagCom to dial in the quantity adjuster after replacing the seals? Huh...huh...huh..used terms that me sound like I know what the F'ing I'm talking about!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
if you have a dremel tool, just slot the special headed bolt. flat screwdriver and you are golden..

then take that special bolt to the hardware store and get a stainless steel phillips head metric screw to replace it with.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Ok just got the chance to try starting and look for the leak and it's coming from underneath of the IP pump around the head seal. yeah.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
jerry- I can help with vagcom anytime you need it!
aaron's slotted screw trick has worked for me on stuck motorcycle screws in the past, it definitely works!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Neil what's your schedule look like for this weekend? I was thinking of tackling this Saturday or Sunday morning. Let me know when you and your VagCom are free. Thanks!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jerry- see you sunday. If you were wondering what the noise on the phone was, I was at a park in Westfield with a bunch of my wife's co-workers and about 100 screaming kids!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Ok...top seal, volume regular, and head seals replaced. No leaks but engine will not start. We primed the IP and there was fuel flow, in fact it came out of the return line with only 3-4 squeezes of mitavac.

We also checked the cut off valve for current, which it had. But when we pulled the feed lines and cranked the engine there wasn't any fuel coming out at the injector or when tried right at the head pump.

Any thoughts?

Big thanks to DCell for stopping by to try and help out. Since we never got Bee to start we didn't have a chance to use the VagCom.

Thanks

Jerry

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
did you make marks on the pump casing and Quantity adjuster housing to line up the quantity adjuster somewhat when you reassembled it to the pump?

did you make sure the quantity adjuster nub went into the control collar when you put it back onto the pump bodY?

did you turn the engine over by hand to make sure nothing was binding before you tried to turn the car over with the starter?

with the injector lines cracked, you are not getting any fuel out of the injector lines as you try to crank it over?

but you are getting full column of fuel out of the injector return nipple like on the video that runonbeer linked?

best of luck. runonbeers video series is very well done. lots of little things to listen to in there.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
did you make sure the quantity adjuster nub went into the control collar when you put it back onto the pump bodY?
Yes we did.

did you turn the engine over by hand to make sure nothing was binding before you tried to turn the car over with the starter?

Forgot that but then did it with a breaker bar and 19mm socket and engine was fine.

with the injector lines cracked, you are not getting any fuel out of the injector lines as you try to crank it over?
Not getting any fuel when lines were cracked.

but you are getting full column of fuel out of the injector return nipple like on the video that runonbeer linked?
Exactly!

The one thing we noticed when we took the cover off was how brown somewhat sticky the area around the fuel temp sensor was. I mean EVERYTHING was brown!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
we did score some lines in the casing before taking it apart, also lined up the screws on the old witness marks.

I suppose we could take it apart again and check to make sure the "nub" is in collar, but it sure felt like it went in where it was supposed to.

On a side note- Jerry did you catch the news at six? The accident by your house was a Hamilton cty deputy that was killed "when a car pulled out in front of his motorcycle." No mention of the fact that he had to have been running 100 mph in order to crush the entire rear end of that jetta into the back seat... No wonder I counted almost 30 cop cars. I took some pics as I drove by, I'm guessing there will be more about this in the news soon.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Yeah read that at WishTV. I remember us stopping when hearing what sounded like Indy Cars. I would have to bet he was going WAY faster than the posted speed limit. Benford right there is known for drag racing cycles. You have the pictures posted anywhere?

I'll try pulling everything apart again in the morning and see if I get anything started. I was starting to wonder if not tightening down the bolts was causing loss of pressure or sucking in air. I'll go get a replacement bot for that triangular bolt as well. Read the Bentley manual tonight and find out what the torque specs are for the bolts as well.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
So here's a question, just before this incident I had been experiencing the tell tale symptoms of a bad fuel temp sensor. Bug would start fine when engine was cold but as engine got warmer starting became harder and harder. Could this issue be related to a failed fuel temp sensor?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
with the brown goo inside your pump, likely from your bio, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a fuel temp sensor on the car. they are relatively inexpensive and easy to get at.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Ok Frank (Fyrsail) came over and we took everything back apart and found that that the pump was filling with fuel after trying to prime it. At first Frank thought that I some how had let a washer come separated from the pump piston. HA! That wasn't it. Frank's keen sleuthing found it was....fuel cock stop?! It was the thingy to the left and had a bolt head with just 2 flat sides. He took that out and reseated something and we put everything back together and VIOLA Bee started!

In all the posts nothing was mentioned about this cockstop. So a HUGE thanks to Frank for getting me back on the road again! Have fun in FL and see you when you get back!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
cock stop? I just wanted to educate myself, maybe find a picture of it so I'd know in the future what it looks like. Instead I got #1 result: Genital Warts! I think I'm just going to go to bed now. Seriously, just for laughs, google "tdi cock stop."
glad to hear you didn't have to bike it again today!

Ok Frank (Fyrsail) came over and we took everything back apart and found that that the pump was filling with fuel after trying to prime it. At first Frank thought that I some how had let a washer come separated from the pump piston. HA! That wasn't it. Frank's keen sleuthing found it was....fuel cock stop?! It was the thingy to the left and had a bolt head with just 2 flat sides. He took that out and reseated something and we put everything back together and VIOLA Bee started!

In all the posts nothing was mentioned about this cockstop. So a HUGE thanks to Frank for getting me back on the road again! Have fun in FL and see you when you get back!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
that is not the name....

cock stop? I just wanted to educate myself, maybe find a picture of it so I'd know in the future what it looks like. Instead I got #1 result: Genital Warts! I think I'm just going to go to bed now. Seriously, just for laughs, google "tdi cock stop."
glad to hear you didn't have to bike it again today!
just to let you know it was the fuel low pressure regulator that was a problem and the upper of the pump was snot seated all the way back into the lower side after the replacement of the seal.

Please before you go and do any pump work check on the low pressure regulator it is a 30 dollar fix and is the 10 mm twin flat sided bolt on the belt side of the pump. I have seen several pumps that were to be rebuilt that just needed this part re assembled. jasontdi first told me of this problem about 4 years ago. thanks jason..:D:D:D:D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
that is more commonly referred to as the case pressure relief valve. Jeff (think RocketChip) did a nice how to on what it should look like.

good catch.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
LMAO!!! I'll take a picture of the "thing" tonight when I put in the new fuel temp sensor. HEY Still a BIG thanks to DCELL as well for coming and assisting!