Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
frank- any word on the cinci thing? I looked and didn't see anything, but I didn't look too hard...

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
The Imfo

Autumn 2008 GTG on Saturday November 1, 2008

Posted October 17th, 2008 by RichCGTG GTGs
Next CinciTDI GTG is scheduled for November 1, 2008 at Charlie's home (CGS) in Montgomery Ohio -- north east of downtown Cincinnati. His location is off of I-71 inside the I-275 outer belt. The GTG is scheduled from 9 am until 3 pm, although as usual, emergencies might extend that period. Please RSVP, if attending on our YahooGroup list. If you need wrenching assistance, please post that need and make prior arrangements with one of our wonderful mechanics.

Our host comments: "A grill and picnic table will be available; Bob Evans and Subway are nearby. There is no auto parts store nearby. The neighbors are friendly. I hope you like dogs."

Directions: Take exit-15 [Pfeiffer Rd]. Turn East after leaving the exit ramp. After one traffic light, turn left [North] onto Bookmark Pl. (mapquest map below)

I plan to attend hopefully its a hit!!!!!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
frank- sorry i didn't call- did you end up going? I had some family stuff come up and ended up going to ft. wayne for the day. I'm spending today screwing around in the garage with my POS bike, got another one I'm trying to get running.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Neil,

You have floor jack? I need to get my Bug up in the air to find the source of my oil leak. At this point I don't need to worry about oil changes with my having to put in a quart every week!

Thanks

Jerry

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
ouch! bring it by, I have ramps, jacks, stands, etc. lets get it fixed!

cewall0

TDI
2000 Jetta
Engine starts!

Well, I'm afraid to admit it, but I finally gave up trying to get my Jetta started. So, we had it towed to a local shop, and they got it started. Yeah! It just needed a grounding cable. Duh! Can you believe I was so close, but couldn't figure it out. So obvious, too. But, hindsight is 20-20. Oh well. Now, it starts. You would think that would make it driveable. You would be wrong. . . It must be able to go into gear for that to happen. These guys say I need a new tranny, but I'm thinking I need to play with the shifter cables. It seems to only go into a high gear, not first or reverse. If the shift cables aren't right, I'm thinking it just may not be pushing up in to the correct gear. I don't know. But, I thought I'd update you all on where I'm at. At least it runs.

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
Running but not driving

That does not sound sooo fun but at least it will crank up. Which grounding cabe was it?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I would take a serious hard look at those cables and adjustments before determining that it's a bad tranny... 5spds are pretty indestructible, especially with such low miles. If it was in gear when the accident happened, maybe the selector rod (in the trans) got bent. It happens sometimes if the shifter handle jams into a gear without the clutch, maybe it could happen in an accident too, but its a theory.

Great to hear that you got it running, though. That is very good news indeed!

cewall0

TDI
2000 Jetta
They just ran an extra ground cable from the negative battery terminal to the frame. I had it going to the engine, but didn't know it needed grounded to the frame.

Neil, I'm hoping you're right. I'm hoping to get to it more this weekend. Is that selector rod something I can check out?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
selector rod is internal to the trans, but from what I understand it is a lot cheaper to fix than a whole new/rebuilt unit. It's basically the thing that transfers the movement of the shifter into the selection of the proper gear. If it would help to have another car to compare the external movements of the shifter to, let me know.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
What age do you have on your front tires? Switch the front tires and see if the problem stays the same. Sometimes a loose belt in the tire can cause strange problems, but not usually at highway speeds.

I can't really see why a bad mount would cause a pull.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I've never heard of this problem... perhaps it was just an arm spasm???

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
I took it to two different tire shops in Marion. Both said it was not the tires. One of the shops took it on multiple test drives and messed around with it for over 3 hours and they then told me they suspected the motor mount. I don't think it is the mount because it would do it all the time. It seems the pull is most noticeable after it has been driven for awhile 1-2+ hours. If I let it sit for a couple of hours, I can go another 1-2 hours before it is noticeable again. Frank suggested it was wheel bearings or CV joint. Inner CV joint is ball-parking around $200. Kind of hoped for a better diagnoses or idea before I dropped a couple hundred just to troubleshoot. I suspect quite a few parts are going to start failing, the car has 210,000+ on it.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
wish I could help with that one... 210k+ could be lots of things. wheel bearings are cheap, maybe that would be a better place to start. If it's been a while since they've been replaced it may be beneficial anyway.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jerry- I talked to jharrison about your oil consumption. Unless it's dumping a big pool of oil under your car, or blowing oil all over the bottom of the car as you drive (indicating a bad leak) it's probably blown seals in your turbo. Sorry about the bad news, but he said his is sucking down a quart every tank or so and he'll probably just drive it that way 'till it blows up. I don't know if that's good advice or not, but its a possibility!

SyntorX9000

TDI
2002 JETTA GLS TDI
Hello ALL

Just wanted to say HELLO to everyone. I am new here. I live on the SE side of Indy, by Beech Grove. Bought the interior of a 2000 Jetta 2.0 and am trying to get it into my 2002 Jetta TDI....the plugs don't match up.

I have 10+ years in electronic "component level" repair, but I was hoping Murphy would keep his nose out of this one....no chance. Just doing the search thing-YIPPY!!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
SyntorX9000 said:
Just wanted to say HELLO to everyone. I am new here. I live on the SE side of Indy, by Beech Grove. Bought the interior of a 2000 Jetta 2.0 and am trying to get it into my 2002 Jetta TDI....the plugs don't match up.

I have 10+ years in electronic "component level" repair, but I was hoping Murphy would keep his nose out of this one....no chance. Just doing the search thing-YIPPY!!
2001-down cars use a K-line electrical system while 2002-up are Can-bus based. They function the same but Can-bus involves less wires even if externally the harnesses and connectors may look the same. I have not run into connector compatibility issues - my power seats are from a 2000 in my 2002 but all connectors mated up perfectly. However I did have to change the control modules as those are specific to either K-line or Can-bus. Before I changed the module out I had some very weird warning lights / behavior occurring. Soon as I installed the proper module all worked perfectly. I tell you all this so you can check what you have swapped over from the 2.0 for modules - perhaps all you need are the 2002-up modules to make everything work properly. Hope this helps you out!

jharrison

Vendor
TDI
x
DCELL said:
jerry- I talked to jharrison about your oil consumption. Unless it's dumping a big pool of oil under your car, or blowing oil all over the bottom of the car as you drive (indicating a bad leak) it's probably blown seals in your turbo. Sorry about the bad news, but he said his is sucking down a quart every tank or so and he'll probably just drive it that way 'till it blows up. I don't know if that's good advice or not, but its a possibility!
The turbo not the engine. I get my oil for free (505.01 PD) so the money for that is not a issue. The turbo will get replaced after the holidays. The oil consumption has leveled off and is predictable. Thats not good advice for me to give to anyone. Pull your lower intercooler pipe and if you have a lot of oil in the intercooler if so its your turbo.

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jharrison- sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was your advice, Jerry asked me for my advice and I told him a couple of weeks ago to bring it up to my place and we'd have a look. (taking the intercooler pipe off is certainly on the short list of easy things I would check). I haven't heard from him so I'm not sure what's going on with it. I just asked you because I happened to think about it at dinner. When you said yours goes through oil as well, I just meant to let him that he's not the only one. I would assume he knows that his engine is not going to blow up even if his turbo goes out!
Neil

SyntorX9000

TDI
2002 JETTA GLS TDI
Seats DONE and WORKING

Thanks CoolWht,

I ended up cutting the airbag sockets from the cloth seats and the plugs from the parts car. After matching-up the wiring I soldered and shrink tubed the connections.
I removed the seat belt sockets from the old seats and put them on the new seats....so the plugs would match. The 2000 seats have 2 wires running to the seat belt socket and the 2002 seats has 4 wires.

After all that....BLAMMO:D

The black leather and black door panels look PERFECT it has a very nice 2-tone appearance.

While I was frisking the parts car (2000 Jetta 2.0 liter -rolled 5X's into a tree---driver walked away) I snagged the MAF sensor. Later found out it may not work in my TDI.

SyntorX9000

TDI
2002 JETTA GLS TDI
Jetta jerking left???

Guiffster,

Have you jacked the front-end up and put your hands at 3 and 9 and wiggle the tire then hands at 12 and 6 and wiggle tire checking for play. I'd do this on both sides.

I am surprised you did not get more replies for the 101 section. I'll post this reply over there too.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
syntor- there is a lot written on these pages about MAF's. If you think yours is bad, just unplug it and see if the car runs better. If it it's better, you need a new one.

SyntorX9000

TDI
2002 JETTA GLS TDI
My MAF is currently functioning...I clean it with each oil change.

I just figured since I had a intact parts car I would snag any and all useable parts from it. I've read that having a "spare MAF" is not a bad idea...as they r known to fail.

SyntorX9000

TDI
2002 JETTA GLS TDI
My skidplate is missing. Anyone have a line on one? Could I take one off any Jetta 2000-2004 gasser or TDI?