Need some clearing up about VAGCOM, looking to buy

VDUBS

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS PD
I was looken at buying one possibly and I'm a little confused with how the licensing and software activiation works out. If I get the Hex-Can-USB cable ($350) I don't have to purchase the $99 license? Is it the cable that acts like the license?

But if I got the license ($99) I would have to find my own cable and if I reformated my computer the license wouldn't work anymore?

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
The software license is included in the price of any of our current Interfaces.

All of our Interfaces have built-in Activation so the user can install VAG-COM on as many different PC's as you'd like (the 3rd party ones do not). All of our Interfaces work with the latest versions of VAG-COM including Release 704 (the 3rd party ones do not - if they function at all, you'd be limited to versions of VAG-COM that are up to 3 years out of date). We offer CAN-Bus support on some of our Interfaces to work with the newest VW/Audi models while the 3rd party ones do not. All of our Interfaces use a custom-designed diagnostic port connection specially made for VW/Audi applications (generic shells like the ones it looks like they are using for 3rd party hardware are not made to the same specifications and may not fit some VW/Audi models correctly). All of our Interfaces come with a 1 year guarantee, and we stand behind both our hardware and software with live human tech support via telephone and email located in the United States. Good luck getting any assistance from anyone if you buy some 3rd party cable and have problems with it.

Also, please see this page:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_3.html#3.3