TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

minitechnicus

TDI
VW Jetta 2002 TDI (sold), VW Passat TDI 2004 (sold), VW Passat 2014 TDI Highline (sold back to VW)
Hello everyone,

May I join SSBMWO ? I will take delivery of a 328d on July 31 in Toronto. I am glad VW saga is over and can finally move on.

Cheers !

minitechnicus

TDI
VW Jetta 2002 TDI (sold), VW Passat TDI 2004 (sold), VW Passat 2014 TDI Highline (sold back to VW)
I hope so ! I will definitely post some updates next week

Cheers

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I’m starting to get a rough idle on my ‘11 335d and the steering position sensor codes. Little things That add up that we’re never a problem on the tdis.
Wow...BPC in Raleigh NC charges $800 and they actually know what they are doing.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I'm in Raleigh, what's BPC?
Bimmer Performance Center. Ask for Randall. Some may debate this statement, but probably the best BMW performance diesel shop in the country. I just wish I lived closer.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Bimmer Performance Center. Ask for Randall. Some may debate this statement, but probably the best BMW performance diesel shop in the country. I just wish I lived closer.
Good to know, I'm sure I'll need them when something breaks...

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
FYI - for those of you with a 335d/x5d, there's a 650+ member group on Facebook which is named "North American 335D & X5D Owners Group"

I find it's more active than pretty much any of the BMW forums for 35d enthusiasts. Also a bunch of group buys going on at the moment there.

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
Happy 328d M Sport Wagon owner here!

Hi all,

We reluctantly turned in our 2010 Golf TDI wagon with only 72,000 kms on it at the end of June, and found a beauty coming off one year lease to a BMW Canada employee with only 18,900 kms on it at the time. The car is spotless, and, although we'd have preferred a manual, has quite a good 8 speed Steptronic automatic box. We've had it since the end of June and so far it's love! :) Great torque and we're getting about 6.1 l/100 kms!

BMW seems to have avoided all the diesel controversy, so we hope that we'll have a nice long ride with our new wheels!

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Agreed with others on the transition from the TDI to the 328d. While I loved my TDI, the 328d is faster, more frugal, and the power delivery (especially in Sport mode) is entertaining. I seriously thought about keeping my TDI and doing the "fix", but from the latest reports, I think I did well to move to the 328d. The "fix" seems to have hurt low end torque.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Debatable...
:D
So please go ahead and debate. For the record I am a very satisfied customer of JR and AArodriquez and Matt Whitbread. That's where my loyalty is and will stay, but curious what other NA BMW diesel specific shop you or LNX are aware of with in house dyno tunes or servicing the volumes of diesel BMWs they do?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
So please go ahead and debate. For the record I am a very satisfied customer of JR and AArodriquez and Matt Whitbread. That's where my loyalty is and will stay, but curious what other NA BMW diesel specific shop you or LNX are aware of with in house dyno tunes or servicing the volumes of diesel BMWs they do?
Rocketchip....:eek:

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
I agree. We love the XDrive system. As good as the front wheel drive was on the TDI, this is more fun - and the Sport Mode is lots of fun!

Agreed with others on the transition from the TDI to the 328d. While I loved my TDI, the 328d is faster, more frugal, and the power delivery (especially in Sport mode) is entertaining. I seriously thought about keeping my TDI and doing the "fix", but from the latest reports, I think I did well to move to the 328d. The "fix" seems to have hurt low end torque.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I kept my 2015 Jetta TDI SEL it just turned over 41K wife is driving it.....I drove it all last weekend to get my Stick shift fix.....my 328D is a really sweet car! Took it in for service today nice job by the Dealer

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
have had my F10 520D LCI for 18months at 50,000miles of sweet, comfortable, quiet, driving bliss!

previously a Mk5 1.9PD, Mk6 2.0CR GT, recently bought another mk5 1.9 Match - late model for my wife

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Jeff is great! Peter Noble at IDParts in Mass has a Rocketchipped 335D
Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know who Jeff is and frankly have never heard of Rocketchip tuning a 335D, so my bad. Do you know what kind of power mpg figures that tune is putting down?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know who Jeff is and frankly have never heard of Rocketchip tuning a 335D, so my bad. Do you know what kind of power mpg figures that tune is putting down?
Jeff quoted me 330/505 for Stage 2. All emissions equipment is in place.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Jeff quoted me 330/505 for Stage 2. All emissions equipment is in place.
That's pretty neat for a stg 2, if quoted in whp, considering an off-road tune maxes out around 390/600, without meth and stock turbos. Is the EGR and SCR electronically tuned out? The DPF on these cars are pretty reliable, but SCR is a diff story and CBU is a problem...x5, much less so. At least bmw extended the scr warrany to 120k miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
All emissions equipment is operating, according to Jeff. I asked if regens would be less frequent, he said probably not. I honestly don't have a bead on regen frequency in this car.

My car only has 52K on it, and I have no symptoms of intake clogging. I may have it cleaned next Spring regardless.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
All emissions equipment is operating, according to Jeff. I asked if regens would be less frequent, he said probably not. I honestly don't have a bead on regen frequency in this car.

My car only has 52K on it, and I have no symptoms of intake clogging. I may have it cleaned next Spring regardless.
52K is very nice! My CBU showed up at 47K, but it's hit or miss. There are some who only do long roadtrips and they are at 100K with no CBU. The good news is that it doesn't die right away, rather mpg just falls off a cliff. If you find a reasonable indy shop in the north east, please let me know. I have done most of the work on my car in my garage on jack stands and it would be nice to drop it off somewhere from time to time.

Vacuum lines and harmonic balancer are your other two main issues, but I'm sure you know that already.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Did know about the harmonic balancer and vacuum lines. So far my lifetime FE is just over 34. I'm pretty amazed by that. I have Koseis and non-run flat tires on the car which took about 12 lbs. off each corner. I think those help.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Did know about the harmonic balancer and vacuum lines. So far my lifetime FE is just over 34. I'm pretty amazed by that. I have Koseis and non-run flat tires on the car which took about 12 lbs. off each corner. I think those help.
Agreed..I commute about 90% hwy approx 450 miles per week and my tank avgs hover around 34mpg as well...and not so light foot either.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
My parents are getting anywhere between 1100-1200kms on a tank with their deleted stage 0 335d.

Almost better then their '09 TDI.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Hey all, I have been pining for a 535d since the E60 cars were out (but not in the US obviously). I'm thrilled to report that my wife convinced (allowed?) me to pick up a CPO 535d as my new daily driver!
She's a 2014, a very vanilla build, xdrive with only cold weather package and active headlights - almost exactly the way I would have specified the car had I ordered it new. I haven't run through a whole tank of fuel yet but I'm seeing mid-30's on the trip computer. Wow, what a difference to my Passat in terms of power and comfort!
here is the car as it looked in the sales listing:

Last edited: