B4 Cluster Gp CEL Bulb Info

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I want to remote locate the GP and CEL indicators info a different, non-tdi cluster. Does anyone have some wise words of wisdom in how to do this, such as bulb style, voltage, etc ? Thanks, Happy 4th.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
They operate on a simple GROUND = on principal. So one side of the light / LED gets 12V and the ECU will supply ground when it wants the light on.

The issue is most TDI ECUs that I have experienced the "off" state isn't an open circuit, but rather a float circuit. So the lights will glow dimly when off. A pull up resistor is needed to rectify that and if you are going any more current than say a LED, then A MOSFET would be your friend as well.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'm kinda lost... the lights in my B4 clusters are glowing dimly?

I did get a cluster from the JY where the OP light did glow dimly. 2 other clusters in the same car didn't have the glowing OP light. I cleaned everything as best I could and couldn't fix it.

-Todd

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you can use a small incandescents without worries... been running stock toyota bulbs for cel and glow for over six years, 100k miles, zero issues on edc15... no glowing dimly either

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The small current flow is part of the bulb check... the ECU will set a fault if the CEL or GPL are open circuit.

-J

BoostedOne

TDI
82 Caddy, 02 Jetta Wagon TDI Converted
I just bought some LEDs and snap in bezels a few weeks ago for this.. As mentioned you have to put a resistor between the pos and neg lead. I think i used 1K's to get the LED to stay out but not also be a concerning drain.

If you need a couple just cover shipping and send me "something" lol. I got red, green, yellow, white and blue I think.