Will they fit: Jetta/Golf Vision V17x7 wheels?

Mike 01Hawk

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL Blk on Blk
Will they fit: Jetta/Golf Vision V 17x7 wheels?

So my wife who is curb challenged has curbed the ever loving crap out of her OEM 18s :mad:

Optimo tires are at end of life and figured I'd downgrade to 17s to:
Save $ (In the long run?)
Less rolling resistance
Less weight

Here are the specs on the stock 17/18 offered:
17x7
5x112
215/55-17

18x8
5x112
235/45-18

I'm looking at the Vision V which can be had for ~$135 a piece
17x7
5x112

If I run the numbers of the Stock 17 vs the Vision V:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=7&offset2=54#content
I get:
Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 11mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 11mm less than before.

However if I run the numbers of the Stock 18 vs the Vision V:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=7&offset2=54#content
I get:
Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 6.7mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 18.7mm less than before.

:confused::confused::confused:

So I guess the Vision V will work, and at worse I'll have to put in a small spacer?

Last edited:

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

You may like these, I had them to replace my vision V when they developed corrosion under the clear coat(they were polished, not painted spokes)

These rial Comos are comparable design/price and if you order through tire rack you can get your tires mounted for free. They ship to your door mounted and balanced, just need to bolt up. Mine came with centering hub ring installed and new lug bolts.

They also come in the correct offset for the passat!

Last edited:

Mike 01Hawk

TDI
Yeah Herk, I've ordered many times thru TR and DTD with wheels/tires mounted for convenience. :D As for those wheels you listed, they really don't light my fire considering the $, weight, style. I'm really getting hung up on trying to find the best value, oemish looking, yet light wheel. A sickness, I know, trying to get all the stars aligned.

Now I'm leaning towards Tirerack's in house brand made by Kosei (I used to own some K1s) called "Sport Edition". The CS3 to be specific.

Very OEMish looking
(really ugly and long link: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...el=CS3&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&showRear=no)

~$935 to my door with closeout 215/55/17 Continental PureContacts.
Otherwise it'd be $750 to $775 + my time to get 18" Purecontacts mounted to the rashed stock Bristols.

I've been Google-fu-ing it up many nights lately. Many of the 17inch Audi/VW wheels I'm seeing are ~22lbs. Also it looks like my stock OEM 18" Bristols weigh around 51.1 lbs with wheel/tire. The CS3 + 215 combo I'm thinking about buying should weigh around 39.85 lbs. :cool:. For comparisons, the OEM 17 (Sonoma) weigh around 42.5lbs with tire. But I just couldn't get over the fat blade of a spoke it has :(

Yes, I over analyze things too much.

Last edited:

Mike 01Hawk

TDI
Got the CS3s in and installed tonight.

40.4lbs compared to the stock 49.0lbs Bristol 18s with Hankook Optimo H426 somewhat close to their wear bars. 8.6lb savings. Will report back with driving impressions and pics in the next couple of days.

Now off to the Googles to find a VW center cap that'll fit the CS3

Mike 01Hawk

TDI
It's probably mental but the ride does feel smoother.

Wife was able to get 43-45mpg where previously she was getting ~37. So she's impressed with my crazy desire to get lighter wheels with skinnier LRR tires :)