aftermarket grill?

Goodie

TDI
'04 Jetta GLS, '13 Passat SEL
Anyone know if an aftermarket front grill is available for the 2013 Passat?
All the ones I found retain the VW emblem...I'm looking to delete the VW emblem.
Any pics would be appreciated as well!
Thanks Much!

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
i too am waiting for one to delete the vw, and not have to do body work to the hood . Dont know if that will happen or not .

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I picked up this grill from taobao.com and am still working (dremeling) to make it fit properly along the bottom edge. The grill was about $95 with shipping.

I also picked up this to replace the OEM lower grill honeycomb, which I really don't like very much. This was a strictly plug and play option that required absolutely NO alteration to fit. It was simply pop off the OEM and pop this one on. Plus it has a chrome strip. Sorry the picture aren't the best, but will take some more tomorrow. This was about $75 with shipping for the 3 pieces. getting ready to install new HID's with LED strip. Had to modify the front license plate holder by cutting off the tabs in the back. Made a couple holes to align with the 2 holes in the top of the new lower grill.

Here's the links to the pieces - need to specify that you need the left and right fog surrounds.
Center: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.59.nrWaLS&id=19358877552
Fog light surrounds: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.Z4iE51&scm=1007.77.0.0&id=18084189779&pvid=b62bec3f-9863-4668-90b8-e251a419ce61&jlogid=p061509110ef73

installed:

Old and New side by side:

Left fog surround:

Right Fog Surround:

Last edited:

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
i too am waiting for one to delete the vw, and not have to do body work to the hood .
Therein lies the rub. That little arc is still there. If you don't straighten that line, it's gonna look wrong.

Dont know if that will happen or not .
Somebody will go for it sooner or later. Maybe even you? :)

It's not gonna be me. I like the front end the way it is. ;)

Sti581

TDI
2016 A6 TDI Prestige S-line
Hey norm

Wanna sell me your stock lower honeycomb grill? I need one since mine broke from hitting a stupid raccoon. :(

Let me know bud

Thanks
Amir

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Hey norm
Wanna sell me your stock lower honeycomb grill? I need one since mine broke from hitting a stupid raccoon. :(
Let me know bud
Thanks
Amir
PM sent

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
New Upper Grill Installed!

Finally got around to completing the modifications to the grill I got along with the lower grill. This one required some modifications to both the grill and the top of the current bumper cover to fit properly.
First I had to enlarge several of the slots along the top of the bumper cover as the position of the new grill tabs did not all align with the original slots. I also had to make a couple new slots as there were none. These slots are important as they tie the bottom of the grill assembly to the top of the bumper cover. This one was lengthened to the left side. You can see the 'latch' in the center, although with the new grill, not all tabs align with the latches. I suppose I could have tried to get a Chinese bumper cover, but that would have likely resulted in other fitment challenges, plus shipping wouldn't be inexpensive.

The top of the grill fits perfectly, with the 4 tabs and 3 screws like stock. The side profiles along the headlights is perfect as well. The bottom of the new grill needed modification to provide clearance for the ledge on the bumper cover. To do this effectively, required taking the grill inner and outer halves apart. There are 9 tabs on each outside portion, as well as 9 pairs of tabs along each side of the grill slats on either side of the center emblem. Once I was able to figure out how they came apart, it took about 10 minutes to separate the 2 pieces.

Here's a closeup of the slat tabs - there are 18 pairs altogether. 3 pairs on each slat on each side of the emblem. Only managed to break off one tab completely. Need to disengage each pair at the same time.

And on the outside 'wing' portion, there are 7 similar tabs, but not arranged in pairs:

This allowed the inner grill to be test fit. The part that needed removal is the bottom strip that is resting on top of the bumper cover ledge, while retaining as much as possible of the rectangular hole that is used to latch in the bottom of the outer grill, while also tying into the slots in the bumper cover (under the ledge). I cut along the white line, across the entire bottom.

This is the bottom of the inner grill after cutting off the excess interference.

Here is the outer grill segment being test fit in the opening:

This allowed snapping the inner and outer grills back together. The gap is where the ledge on the bumper cover will fit into:

But since I removed the attachment points for the outer grill bottom to the inner, I added some handy hot glue to secure the two elements together. The larger tabs will insert into the slots under the ledge of the bumper cover, thus tying everything together snugly. I also cut back the the bottom of the outer grill to make it sit properly against the bumper cover ledge (it was wider) and make the tabs stick out a bit further where they go through the slots in the ledge.

And the finished product. It meshes very well with the new lower grill and the TDI badge that I purchased separately adds a little ID to my TDI.

And with some LED parking light action:

There are more pics here: http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/vw_norm/library/Front%20Grill

Last edited:

Td1Guy^

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Finally got around to completing the modifications to the grill I got along with the lower grill. This one required some modifications to both the grill and the top of the current bumper cover to fit properly.
First I had to enlarge several of the slots along the top of the bumper cover as the position of the new grill tabs did not all align with the original slots. I also had to make a couple new slots as there were none. These slots are important as they tie the bottom of the grill assembly to the top of the bumper cover. This one was lengthened to the left side. You can see the 'latch' in the center, although with the new grill, not all tabs align with the latches. I suppose I could have tried to get a Chinese bumper cover, but that would have likely resulted in other fitment challenges, plus shipping wouldn't be inexpensive.

The top of the grill fits perfectly, with the 4 tabs and 3 screws like stock. The side profiles along the headlights is perfect as well. The bottom of the new grill needed modification to provide clearance for the ledge on the bumper cover. To do this effectively, required taking the grill inner and outer halves apart. There are 9 tabs on each outside portion, as well as 9 pairs of tabs along each side of the grill slats on either side of the center emblem. Once I was able to figure out how they came apart, it took about 10 minutes to separate the 2 pieces.

Here's a closeup of the slat tabs - there are 18 pairs altogether. 3 pairs on each slat on each side of the emblem. Only managed to break off one tab completely. Need to disengage each pair at the same time.

And on the outside 'wing' portion, there are 7 similar tabs, but not arranged in pairs:

This allowed the inner grill to be test fit. The part that needed removal is the bottom strip that is resting on top of the bumper cover ledge, while retaining as much as possible of the rectangular hole that is used to latch in the bottom of the outer grill, while also tying into the slots in the bumper cover (under the ledge). I cut along the white line, across the entire bottom.

This is the bottom of the inner grill after cutting off the excess interference.

Here is the outer grill segment being test fit in the opening:

This allowed snapping the inner and outer grills back together. The gap is where the ledge on the bumper cover will fit into:

But since I removed the attachment points for the outer grill bottom to the inner, I added some handy hot glue to secure the two elements together. The larger tabs will insert into the slots under the ledge of the bumper cover, thus tying everything together snugly. I also cut back the the bottom of the outer grill to make it sit properly against the bumper cover ledge (it was wider) and make the tabs stick out a bit further where they go through the slots in the ledge.

And the finished product. It meshes very well with the new lower grill and the TDI badge that I purchased separately adds a little ID to my TDI.

And with some LED parking light action:

There are more pics here: http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/vw_norm/library/Front%20Grill
So pretty, where did you get your headlight? I want to have that...

magrider

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
norm, can you expand on how to swap out the lower grille, specifically the center piece. Do you just pull on it real hard?

It seems like you installed the Chinese NMS lower grille. There are some LED DRL fog light bezels that only fit the Chinese lower grille.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
What's the easiest way to pop out the lower honeycomb grill?
norm, can you expand on how to swap out the lower grille, specifically the center piece. Do you just pull on it real hard?
It seems like you installed the Chinese NMS lower grille. There are some LED DRL fog light bezels that only fit the Chinese lower grille.
I pushed out the lower grill from under the car. I removed the front air-dam, 7 T-25's and yank if off from one wheelwell to the other side while pulling it to the rear of the car to disengage it from the bumper cover bottom edge. Pushed out the center part first as it engages with each fog surround. The center part is fastened on both the top and bottom of the bumper opening and really ties it together. The opening is really floppy without the grill in place.
I guess you could pull it really hard from the front, but I couldn't get a good enough grip to yank it out as the honeycombs were too small for my fingers. The fog light surrounds also kind of unzip from the bumper trim as well, from the center to the outer edge, as there is a tab at the narrow point that locks into the bumper cover. All together I think it took me about an hour start to finish. Yeah - I saw those ebay LED trims, but since I already had them in the headlights, decided against it. I also saw them on taobao when I was searching for the grills. Little cheaper too.
For those curious folks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-LED-daytime-running-lights-DRL-with-fog-lamp-cover-for-VW-Passat-B7-2012-/251314249574?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APassat&hash=item3a837f1f66&vxp=mtr

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
So pretty, where did you get your headlight? I want to have that...
Got the headlights on taobao as a direct purchase.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.63.unKsoZ&id=36378463699
They are on ebay also.
Be forewarned that I performed some modifications to make the the LED strip function as both a dimmer parking light and a brighter (full 12 VDC) LED DRL light feature. As delivered, the LED strip is only a very bright parking light without a DRL function. Read all about it here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=400242

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
I pushed out the lower grill from under the car. I removed the front air-dam, 7 T-25's and yank if off from one wheelwell to the other side while pulling it to the rear of the car to disengage it from the bumper cover bottom edge. Pushed out the center part first as it engages with each fog surround. The center part is fastened on both the top and bottom of the bumper opening and really ties it together. The opening is really floppy without the grill in place.
I guess you could pull it really hard from the front, but I couldn't get a good enough grip to yank it out as the honeycombs were too small for my fingers. The fog light surrounds also kind of unzip from the bumper trim as well, from the center to the outer edge, as there is a tab at the narrow point that locks into the bumper cover. All together I think it took me about an hour start to finish. Yeah - I saw those ebay LED trims, but since I already had them in the headlights, decided against it. I also saw them on taobao when I was searching for the grills. Little cheaper too.
For those curious folks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSRAM-LED-daytime-running-lights-DRL-with-fog-lamp-cover-for-VW-Passat-B7-2012-/251314249574?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APassat&hash=item3a837f1f66&vxp=mtr
Thanks!

Did you have to remove the fog light trims to remove the lower honeycomb? Did you have to break any tabs to remove it? How easy was it to re-install the lower grille?

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Thanks!

Did you have to remove the fog light trims to remove the lower honeycomb? Did you have to break any tabs to remove it? How easy was it to re-install the lower grille?
No. But you have to remove the center in order to remove the fog light trims since they interlock. The manual implies that you can remove the lower honeycomb by pulling on it, and you probably could, but I couldn't get a decent grip on it to pull by reaching through the grill since the holes are a bit tight on my fingers. So I removed the lower valance (7 screws) and pushed it out from underneath. There are no fasteners or weak plastic parts to break, just interlocking tabs with catches. Since the bumper material is flexible, it comes out pretty easily. The lower valance sort of 'unzips' once you pull a corner by the wheelwell free. You do not need to remove the fog lights to change their surrounds either.

Last edited: