Want to double check the dealership

BigJimmy428

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Brought in the TDI yesterday for her 20,000 check up. Only have had her for 6 months and stated with 4 miles!

I know this includes;
Fuel filter- replace
DEF- top off
Interior Filter- replace
Oil / Oil filter - drain, replace filter, refill

Am I missing anything?

How can I check DEF % with my VCDS?
Any way to know if they really changed the cabin filter besides just seeing if it's dirty?

Are wiper blades included in the 3 years / 32,000 mile service coverage?

I have a feeling they didn't touch the cabin filter or the DEF. At 15,000 miles I got the DEF warning, weird because I just had her serviced at 10,000 miles 2 months before and all we do is highway driving at 75-85mph.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Just maybe we're blaming the wrong folks here. Obviously there are dealers who see only dollars and use opportunity and subterfuge to achieve that end. On the other end are dealers who are honest and care about their customers and I suppose still others who are somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately when service is requested at a dealer there's a third party in the mix... A technician or mechanic. These folks are sort of a wild cards as they're as human as anyone else and they range from dishonest to those with the highest integrity. Further, their skill levels run from virtually none, to average, and once in awhile a true expert.

So when you arrive at a dealership for service the car leaves your hands and you entrust it to someone else. Other than for the fact that the dealer employs his techs, your car essentially also leaves his hands. An honest dealer trusts his employees to do the right thing just as do you. The question, then, is whether a particular employee will cut corners and attempt to somehow profit at your expense.

And so a virtually new vehicle arrives for service. There exists a list of things to be done and the tech is paid at flat rate. It takes time to fill the AdBlue tank and it takes time to change the air filter. Rotating tires is a hassle. Changing the oil and filter isn't the easiest thing to do on a Passat TDI. So maybe some of these "little" things get overlooked. After all, the car is virtually new and nobody will likely notice.

That is except those of us who are a bit anal about our vehicles. We notice. We suspect. We worry. And we tend not to completely trust. And this is precisely the reason that many of our cars never go back to the dealership for service. In the end it seems to us that it's a better plan to know rather than trust.

So a filter didn't get change or an AdBlue tank refilled? If this be true, then was the oil changed? How about the oil filter? Was the proper oil used if it was changed? What I'm getting at is that there's a list of maintenance items to be checked off. The check mark comes AFTER the indicated procedure has been done, not before.

Do you know and trust the person who works on your car? In my case I do! It's me and only me.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I suppose if you want to be sure you could put a small scratch mark on the fuel filter, maybe a small pen mark on the oil filter housing, that would be wiped off when someone opens it, I'm unfamiliar with exactly how the new cars are set up. I assume there is a cap of some kind for the ad blue, how about a small piece of tape? Open the cabin filter box and mark that also, if you really want to know. Theres always a way.

smackdownTDI

TDI
None
Daaaable check!

Okay, now that I have that out of the way. That's everything that's on the 20K mi service along with a lot of checks (see below). All of that comes up automatically when you bring it in and the service advisor looks it up on his computer. So it's pretty idiot proof.

Same as 10,000-mile service, plus:

• Brake pads: check thickness and brake disc condition (front and rear)
  • Brakes: inspect brake system and shock absorbers for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition, and check brake fluid level
  • Replace dust and pollen filter (if applicable)
  • Tires: check tread depth, condition, tire age, wear pattern, and pressure of all tires (including spare)
  • For applicable TDI® Clean Diesel models: same as 10,000 mile service, plus replace fuel filter
As for the cabin filter... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=403318