Southbend clutches

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
I noticed last night my clutch slipping pretty bad last night in 3rd and 4th gear, its the stock Sachs and DMF with just over 100k miles on it. I'm surprised it has lasted this long with a VNT17 and RC2. I was looking at the SBC stage 1 full disc that's rated at 330ft/lbs and 16lb steel flywheel, does anyone have any experience with this clutch? My only concern is that my setup is close to maxing out that clutch as is but I don't want something that is so aggressive that it is hard to drive in traffic. Suggestions? TIA

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
most whove used stage 1 have found it holds quite allot but every car is not the same and clutches rated near the limit are never garunteed which is why i skipped stage 1 and went to stge 3 , its a really great clutch just a little judder when moving off but im told it will go eventually , although i have around 5,000 miles on it now and it feels really strong. youve just got the peace of mind that it will take what ever you throw at it

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
I've got a stage 1 with no issues, using a stock weight solid flywheel. It's been cold here a few mornings and passed the WFO highway merge test just fine.

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
I am rather sure the Southbend stage one is just a VR6 clutch and pressure plate painted red. Can somone else confirm this?

a VR6 clutch set up should be enough for your current set up. If you are looking to go RC3 or greater I would go for the stage three clutch.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
that just something that dc cluthes put out , if its true then theres are just the same clutches painted black:rolleyes: . its all down to choice if your undicided or are concerned at all that it wont hold better off going for the bigger clutch for peice of mine that you wont at least have to do the job twice.
but i personnaly think that if souzaphone is running a 17/22 with 11mm pump pp520s and rc5, that they must be allot better than a stock vr6 kit painted red as any stock sachs or valoe kit would of been toasted with that setup

KROUT

persona non grata
I have to agree I have had 2 sbc stage3's in 2 different cars. One with a stock weight single mass no rattle at all. And one with the stock duel mass. They both felt great and held really well. I need to replace the spec with an sbc in my golf but the spec clutch just keeps on going over 150k of abuse on it.

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
I installed a SB stage 3 just a week ago w/17lb single mass...still breaking it in, but my initial impression is great. Very light pedal feel (maybe even lighter than stock?) and verrrry grabby :D Still babying it somewhat, I can't wait to really get on it and see how it grabs

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I really expected a heavier than stock feel when I installed mine. I was happily surprised to find it lighter than stock. I was actually thinking that I screwed something up before I started the car.

KROUT

persona non grata
I did not think either of mine were lighter than stock. I thought they were just slightly stiffer.

Jasengine

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Golf GTD DSG 200bhp CBBB
I also have have the stage 3 with lightened flywheel. It holds all I throw at it and almost 100% stock feel.

KubotaPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
Thanks for all the input! I'm pretty much sold on the stage 3 and solid flywheel, anything to make the OEM DMF go byebye. I've got a VR6 turbo MK3 Jetta also thats well over 500whp and the clutch engagement sucks, especially around town, its more of an on/off switch, that is what I am trying to avoid here, but from the sounds of it, it should be an issue :p

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
otm646 said:
I am rather sure the Southbend stage one is just a VR6 clutch and pressure plate painted red. Can somone else confirm this?

a VR6 clutch set up should be enough for your current set up. If you are looking to go RC3 or greater I would go for the stage three clutch.
I dunno. My G60/VR-6 clutch is slipping now sometimes with full torque application in 4th and 5th gear at lower RPMs. I would go with a better/stronger clutch.

--Nate

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
I just installed a spec stage 3, with a g60 smfw I got at auto zone for $60.00. The clutch feels great, I've got about 400 miles on it so far, it feels like stock, although there is some shutter on start up. I went with the spec over the sb for the price difference, I spent a total of 480.00 for clutch, flywheel, all related bolts. But if money isn't a problem get the sb stage 3 I've heard nothing but good things. good luck!

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I've dealt with a number of clutch companies, and Southbend by far has better service than any of the others. Their clutches are also rated conservatively, and hold up very well to abuse.

I sell southbend and can offer free ground shipping on any SB clutch product purchased.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
Scott_DeWitt said:
I've dealt with a number of clutch companies, and Southbend by far has better service than any of the others. Their clutches are also rated conservatively, and hold up very well to abuse.

I sell southbend and can offer free ground shipping on any SB clutch product purchased.
thsi is true ive spoke to southbend themselves and they said in testing they quote the lowest tourque figure that a clutch slipped at even if the average is much higher . some manufactures will only give you the best figure a said clutch reached before slipping . its always good to know , so you see 325ftbls for an sbc 1 means it should not slip with anything less which seems along way in front of a stock vr6 clutch but thats just my ten peneth worth everyoe hasd there veiws;)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"...so you see 325ftbls for an sbc 1 means it should not slip with anything less which seems along way in front of a stock vr6 clutch but thats just my ten peneth worth..."

Like I mentioned before, my G60/VR-6 clutch kit now slips with my RC 2. This began after about 30,000 miles of "normal" use.

--Nate

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
My Valeo G60/VR6 started slipping with Sprint 520s, a stage 3 tune and winter air. I was pretty annoyed.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
This is how I see it on clutches: Go big or go home!! My stock clutch started to slip with RC2. I upgraded to a G60/VR6 set up. Then I went RC3 with a 17/22. The VR6 clutch slipped after 10k miles...now I have SBC Stage 3 and will never worry about it again...

Do ittttttttt!!!

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
scubagli said:
I just installed a spec stage 3, with a g60 smfw I got at auto zone for $60.00. The clutch feels great, I've got about 400 miles on it so far, it feels like stock, although there is some shutter on start up. I went with the spec over the sb for the price difference, I spent a total of 480.00 for clutch, flywheel, all related bolts. But if money isn't a problem get the sb stage 3 I've heard nothing but good things. good luck!
400 miles is nothing...
wait till you have 5000 miles on it and you are screaming on the phone @ Jeremy@SPEC.
Trust me it wont be fun...

Scott_DeWitt said:
I'd bet money that other factors are in play.
YuP!
South Bend FTW!

"Yes it's a Diesel"

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I got my Southbend Stage 3 Clutch from Peter at TDI parts about a year ago now, and I have subjected it to some serious abuse. Never once has it smelled like a burning clutch, never once has it slipped on me, and never once have I had a problem with it. I do not drive my car easy, and this clutch just gets better as the miles get put on it.

The only thing that I don't care for is the rattle with the 17lb. single mass flywheel that I put on the car. If I could go back I would probably go with the stock rated one, but hey nothing a straight piped exhaust can't drown out.

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ASZ 130PD, Corrado 150PD in production
I might have to look into these south bend clutches, I can't remember what my Helix is good for, the new turbo might be too much for it.