Q5 Mileage

JSwigart

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
Just picked my new TDI up ('14 Q5) and headed off to the mountains. I averaged 33mph on a pretty hilly, twisty drive. (started and ended at same elevation)
What are others getting on hilly and flat highway driving?
Does the car need to break in for best mileage?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Can't comment to mileage yet. We are debating between a Q5 and a Touareg for the wife. She likes both but the Audi is winning on price and features right now.

Seams all of the TDIs need to be broken in over 5000 to 10,000 miles to reduce oil consumption and improve mileage. After that point there are some general guide lines to increase the life of the engine, reduce oil and fuel consumption. Do a search for DBW or drive by wire break in procedure.

Jason

JSwigart

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
I love the Audi Q5! Great feel on the road, great features and I did not need the size of the Tourag.

Ashleigh2006

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI and 2001 Jetta TDI (278k miles)
I've been averaging between 28 and 30 indicated (sometimes peaking around 33), but when I've filled up, my actual is closer to 28 mpg. I do a lot of city driving and have had some fun with it when out on the highway :) I purchased it beginning of October and already have 1600 miles on it!

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Q5 TDI MPG Better than Expected

At about 5,500-miles and my MPG is much better than expected. I use the "Fuelly" app for my calculations and the MMI pretty much tracks with it. Currently, I'm at $0.12/mile fuel cost. My driving is generally gentle as I'm have the average and instant mpg on the MMI display. However, when the opportunity permits, I put pedal to the metal! My driving is about 40/60 city/hwy and results in 29/33mpg. My overall mpg as per MMI since taking ownership is 30mpg! On one long trip, I have touched 36mpg.

Truly happy with the car.

FYI, I try to purchase my diesel at Kroger to get their discount. I also add PS Diesel Kleen additive at each fill-up.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Mileage Update

I now have 11,000-miles on the Q5 TDI! Undoubtedly, it is the finest car I've ever owned. I have had no problems with the car. It performs and handles beautifully.

Now for the good news - fuel mileage. It keeps getting better! I use the Fuelly website to track my diesel consumption. My driving is about 60/40 hwy/city. On the interstate, I set the cruise at 80mph and on a recent 1,000-mile roundtrip, the MMI read 35mpg! Fuelly tells me my overall mpg is 29. I couldn't be more pleased. I do add "Power Stroke Diesel Kleen" at each fill-up and that may help.

Please let me know how your Q5 TDI is doing.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Well, its no Q5 but the A6 is just the same. Almost at the 15k service and it has been literally flawless. NOT one CEL, indicator, weird noise, strange thumps, or anything else. Had to take it in right after the 5k because the dealer forgot it was a diesel, and subsequently filled it up with too little oil...not too mad, but they were very nice about it and cleaned it inside and out..just like new!

I notice about 29 with city driving. Long distances are about 34-36 with cruise to 80, hand-calculated.

I must say, while I have owned many cars and driven double that, this car is by far the best driving of them all. Unbelievably smooth powertrain. My old merc 300D was a diesel through and through, but this is something else.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Fowvey, I have to agree with you, fantastic cars and I've owned some good ones! My first "real" car was a 1974 Porsche 911T, picked up at the factory while stationed in Germany. It turned out to be a rust-bucket. I then bought a 1975 BMW 2002 - loved the car. Went back to Germany and bought a 1980 SAAB 900 Turbo followed by a 1983 900 Turbo on my return to the states, also great cars. Next, a new 1985 BMW 535i - wow, what a car. Back to Europe in 1988 and I bought a 1984 BMW 528i (not so good). Returned to US in 1993 and bought a 1994 BMW 530i (small block V8) - my new "best" car. After 14 faithful years I bought a Acura RDX in 2008 just to try something different. The car was a true disappointment. My 2010 Golf TDI convinced me that diesels would be the car of choice from now on. I patiently waited for the Audi Q5 TDI and ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. It is the best car I've ever owned and will be a long-term owner. My next car will be the VW (Golf) GTD, but it looks like a wait until at least 2016.

Enjoy the drive!

SummiTDI

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
So just now reentering a new club. Just drove my new Q5 back from MO to CO. Averaged 36.7 MPG having the cruise set at 75 almost the whole way. I spent $100 in fuel to drive 908 miles!!!

Now it is time to Craigslist my VW sportwagen tdi. :( but we must move on.

BTW. The Q5 is AMAZING!!

SoCal Buff

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
30k miles here. I am about 60/40 driving in Los Angeles. I get about 25 city and 35 highway. I am typically around 30mpg when I calculate it (total miles driven on tank divided my gallons). It is always lower than what the car mpg calculates. I also disable the auto start because I am not sure of long term reliability and I am trying to get this car to 150k miles.