Other Fuel Additives?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I've been using Howes ever since I bought my first diesel. It's good stuff. It does everything Power Service and Stanadyne additives do.

Howes uses a water emulsifier to encapsulate water. Must be why I have never drained any water from my fuel filters. Howes has an anti-jell guarantee and will pay the tow if you ever get stranded. You must buy a case and send in the registration card to get the guarantee. Only one vehicle registered per card.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
I've tried the Howes Meaner Power Cleaner, and it seems good, no complaints. Never tried the Diesel Conditioner as around here I dont need anti-gel.
I have found FPPF products in Vancouver BC, but for me they seemed expensive, and not offer much over Howes, or Kleen-Flo.
The Stanadyne Performance Formula, or Racor Conditioner Plus / Performance Plus, and Lubetec are also good.
hth

Hammy

TDI
2003 Golf 3-dr Reflex Silver
I have used fppf products for a little while now. I like them a lot!! My TDI seemed to respond really well to the bus/SUV treatment (for summer use). On my first tank with that additive I got 53.8mpg (I did add a double dose...just for good measure). I am working on my first tank of Total Power (Winter use)...and my results seem about the same.

If you can find an FPPF reseller in the area, it shouldn't be too expensive.

zebrajeb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Silver, AT
My local truck stop carrys Howes, so maybe some others do as well. Reading the bottle, it doesn't have any cetane boost.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
zebra, you first need to arrive at a decision on whether you want to emulsify or demulsify your fuel. This is another mini-"war" /images/graemlins/grin.gif kind of discussion.

Using the search feature will reveal more than you ever will want to know in your lifetime. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

this is the most popular emulsfier here at Fred's:

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
dieseldorf said:
zebra, you first need to arrive at a decision on whether you want to emulsify or demulsify your fuel. This is another mini-"war" /images/graemlins/grin.gif kind of discussion.

Using the search feature will reveal more than you ever will want to know in your lifetime. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

this is the most popular emulsfier here at Fred's:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused....can someone do up a summary on each ? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also, we know the Stanadyne demulsifies your fuel. What about the other products such as Lubetec, Howes, Kleeflo.

BTW, where can one get a bottle of the Power Master in Canada and how much of a cetane boost does it give?

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
Hello all, bought some FPPF deluxe total power, about $16.00 Canadain. 32 oz US bottle treats 250 gals., US. I have not tried as of yet. When I try, I will post what I think of it. Was also going to get some of their Fuel Power for the water removing to add to the deluxe so thet it has even more of it to start off. It contains fuel power[a water remover], polar power, diesel cleaner, cetane+8 and also includes a lubricity additve. I have tried Stanadyne, Howes and was not very impressed with them. Also tried Meaner Kleaner and that seemed better. I really want something that is going to remove water harmlessly from the fuel and I believe that FPPF may be the best that I can get a hold of . FPPF's fuel power really sounds that it might just be one of the better ones to remove water. FPPF's deluxe is a winter treatment containing all the good things for the cold up here in Canada, plus some of their water remover also in it. Check out FPPF's web, their demo of their water remover[Fuel Power] looks good. You all have a great day and to all of you in the US have a Happy Thanks Giving.[Dieseltwo,Bradford,Ont.,Can..]

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
My first observation of those FPPF demos is that it shows a decent demonstration on how water dispersion works, but that's all it does. I was very dissapointed as to how FPPF set up its demonstartion.

Noticed the amounts of FPPF additive they were adding relative to the amount of diesel fuel in the vials and little glass jars. It looked like they were adding 25% to 50% additive by volume to the fuel. Not an impressive demonstation at all on FPPF's ability to disperse water. Scale up the additive ratio to say a 20 gallon tank of diesel it looks they are adding 5 gallons to 10 gallons per tank. Am I seeing this right?

Doesn't the dosage ratio on that little bottle read something like one bottle treats 100 gallons of fuel? The more I look at the demos the more I think what a lame product if FPPF has to use such bad technique to promote its product.

But at least FPPF does show how water dispersion works... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
yeah, the dosages shown in the little clip are kind of silly but so is the amount of H20 added to the vial.

Most of the additives are used in a 1:500 ratio or somewhere thereabouts. The summer usage Primrose is recommended at 1:1000 ratio so the bottle lasts a long time.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
FPPF Demo: The test looked to be about 4oz of diesel fuel and a eye dropper of water[50ccmax]. Not very much water at all. With about 2oz's of their water remover, not a whole lot of water to remove, but look at what the so called other leading makers product did. The best thing to do would be check with FPPF and ask how much it will remove[one to one ratio at least?]. The others did nothing to remove water at all. At least the water was changed so as be used, with FPPF so no damage as it went throw with the fuel. Better then nothing. If you used it on a regular basis [every tank] then there would not be that much water to be removed unless you got a bad lot of fuel from some station that does not check for water bottoms on a regular basis and then pump out any water that they had in bottom of the tanks. By the way Red Line's water remover for both diesel and gas, looks to be a very good product. Wonder if it really is as good as they claim. Red Line claims that their water remover, makes water slipper then diesel alone. Sounds even better then FPPF's if it's true.[Dieseltwo,Bradford,Ont.,Can..]

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
The more I look at FPPF's demo the more it looks like they hired a company that specializes in producing informercials. There's a superficial truth on the surface, water was dispersed by the product. But is the way the facts were presented represent anything relevant to what actual users would do out in the field? I don't think so.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
FPPF testing: I'm going to buy some of the FPPF Fuel Power and try adding say equal parts of water and the fuel power and see if it works at a one to one ratio. I will try it this way with out any fuel in the test, then maybe with after for a secound test. 3rd test like they tested it with a very small amount of water. Will then see if it totally disperses water as they claim at FPPF, which was at a very small amount of water that they used in their test. If it works at 1 to 1 then would not be too bad of a product. Will do the test some time down the road, and will then report as to what happened. Now this will not be a controlled lab test, just a plain and simple test as to weather it works or not.[Dieseltwo,Bradford,Ont.,Can..]

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
blondee, yes I will post my findings. Please bear with me, as to when I find [make] the time to test the FPPF, I surely will post it.[Dieseltwo,Bradford,Ont.,Can..]

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
dieseltwo, no problem. take your time. i just added some lubetec diesel conditioner. i definitely DID notice a difference. i think this works best in winter. but, at over $7.00/bottle it IS expensive. 1 bottle does two tanks.

hl649

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Black
Has anyone else tried Schaeffer's Diesel Treat? That is all I use now. I Have tried Lubetec and Stanadyne extensively. I find that the Lubetec and the Schaeffer's are both very high quality additives with the Schaeffer's being much cheaper. I pay $54.00 canadian per US gallon that treats 2000 gallons. A little goes a long way. I happen to have the Canadian distributor for Schaeffer's just down the road so it is very handy.

HL

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
To Blondee: Will most likly test after Xmas the FPPF [water remover] for water removing. I now am using their deluxe treatment, will see how it makes the Tdi run. Wish we could get the Lubetec down here in Ont., but no one wants to carry it down east here. You are lucky to be able to get. I would like to use it, sounds to be very good diesel treat,and a treat at that for the price of it. I like that the lubetec is also made in Can.. I don't know where they sell too much of it because they sure do not down here anywhere in the east. They mainly only sell it out west there. They don't even sell it down in the US much do they? Take care and have a good week-end.[Dieseltwo,Bradford,Ont.,Can..]

MWM

Veteran Member
TDI
Variant, 2003, Reflex Silver
D2,

The manufacturer will ship it to you from the Calgary. I organised a group buy here in Ottawa, and split the case of 12 small bottles of PDFC with 3 other people. None of us seemed to notice a performance difference in the summer, and we all put it away until winter, which is here now. Maybe some of us will update our old thread soon as we begin consumption.

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
hl649 said:
Has anyone else tried Schaeffer's Diesel Treat? That is all I use now. I Have tried Lubetec and Stanadyne extensively. I find that the Lubetec and the Schaeffer's are both very high quality additives with the Schaeffer's being much cheaper. I pay $54.00 canadian per US gallon that treats 2000 gallons. A little goes a long way. I happen to have the Canadian distributor for Schaeffer's just down the road so it is very handy.

HL

[/ QUOTE ]

hl649. I never heard of it. Does it emulsify or demulsify the water in the fuel? Do you use it all year round or just in the winter

hl649

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Black
I use the Schaeffer's year round as it is so cheap I might as well. I like the insurance I get from the added lubricity. The car runs a little quieter with it also.

According to Schaeffers it is a dispersant. It encapsulates the water and allows it to pass through the system without coming in contact with the fuel system components. I guess that would probably be called an emulsifier.

1 gallon at 1:2000 ratio lasts a long time.

HL