Oil cooler/coolant leak

Jimbo-Mo

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Hey all, I think I finally figured out where my coolant leak is coming from. Although it is hard to see, I think it is coming from where the oil cooler/oil filter housing meets the block. It seems to be dry above it, but there is a stream coming from the bottom left corner (as you look at the car from the front). Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening before, or if you have any words of wisdom concerning the repair?

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Last edited:

Jimbo-Mo

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
You are correct sir!

When I removed the oil cooler, I did find a piece of the track for the smaller seal cracked out. Found new part on Amazon for $59. Looks exactly the same, and couldn't be worse quality than a part that falls apart after 109000 miles. Thanks for the tip on the bits, not to mention all of your help!

dborja

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE - Night Blue Metallic
Chalk another oil cooler housing gasket here for statistics sake. My "Check Coolant" lamp started blinking last Thursday. Fortunately, we were close to our exit so I pulled over at a service station after exiting. Sure enough, the fluid in the expansion tank was low so I added some distilled water just so we can make it home. I topped it off with coolant last Saturday and warmed it up then drove a bit. After the engine cooled down, the level was down about 1/4 inch. 'Did the same on Sunday and another 1/4 inch down. 'Took it to my mechanic and he just told me he found the leak after pressure testing and it is coming from the oil cooler housing gaskets.

Oh joy!

Update: The oil filter housing (plastic) also has a crack.

Last edited:

22eco

TDI
13 Passat SE
Another oil cooler leak here, 12 Passat 85K miles. Im going to take lots of pictures so hopefully I can post a write up. I have not started yet, I just got the hose in that connects to the oil cooler. I didn't want to tear into that again to replace the hose.