40K Mile Service - Wrong Oil...

JerryInOCMD

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Had my 40K service done today on our 2011 TDI Sportwagen. Drained the oil, then realized the mechanic had the wrong oil on hand. Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec) SAE5W30 in the black 5 quarts jug....Looking at a VW Spec. oil chart Castrol Edge is listed as 507.00 certified. Well, it appears that is only for the oil they market in Europe under the exact same brand name...Called everywhere and couldn't find any 507 approved oil ANYWHERE nearby.
Liqui Moly 5W30 has been ordered and will be put in the engine on Monday afternoon. Yikes. Hopefully a weekend of light driving won't hurt things too badly. Not having luck with oil for this car. Opinions?
On the bright side, we now know which oil to put in it from here on out.
What a day...

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Pep Boys in Salisbury should have Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 in stock.

I can't see how a weekend would make a difference, at all. There's a guy on here running Royal Purple, and adding 2 stroke oil to his fuel tank.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our Passat is still too new to worry about changes, but I wanted a quart to keep in the trunk. With the exception of the VW dealer (the Castrol LL03 oil), I could find no 507.00 oil in our area. Most of the chains (Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's) had people to whom I might as well have been speaking Mandarin or Classical Latin as to ask for "VW 507 oil." NAPA knew what it was, and could order it, but the array of Lubri-Moly products in the store did not include the 4200 (their 507.00 oil). When I start doing my own oil changes, I'll probably just order online from idparts....