Coolant expansion reservoir..

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
I was wondering if there’s more people out there with a discoloured coolant overflow reservoir??? Mine is not as “clear see through” as it used to be. The coolant is nice and red, but is hard to see throuh it.
Does anybody know a way of cleaning it, without having to replace it???

Thanks in advance.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It's not really dirty, it's just plastic dis-colouring as it ages. you could buy a new bottle, they are not that much $$.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
If your coolant bottle is dirty inside, you may have a larger problem. What do you see? Is it dirt, oil, or just the plastic turning "white"? After I got a busted head gasket on my A2, I had oil in the bottle. I took it out and poured purple al purpose cleaner /degreaser I got at Autozone. Comes in single or gallon format. Wal Mart has it too. I poured some in while blocking the drin tube with my hand, then covered the top opening with the other hand and shook the hell out of it. Rinsed it well with fresh water. It did a good job.

treyca

Veteran Member
If you have oil or fuel in your expansion reservoir, you have serious motor issues that need resolving before she blows.

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
There is NO oil at all in the bottle…the colour of the antifreeze is NICE and pink as it should be. I guess is just the plastic that the bottle is made out of that just changed colour over time.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
They do that. Plastic just doesn't look new for many years.