Blown DynAudio speaker

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 6M, United Gray; 2014 Jetta TDI, 6M, Tornado Red
I believe the bottom driver door speaker has blown -- at low volumes I can hear crackling and distortion.

Before I take it in for its 20k mile service next month and bring it up with the service rep, I was wondering if anyone else has had a dealer cover speaker issues under warranty. I can see them saying it's from abuse and not covered even though I don't listen at extreme volumes.

Thanks!

robmu

TDI
2012 Golf
Try listening to multiple audio sources, if you haven't recently. I thought I had a speaker issue and found that my ipod was over-amp'd and its distortion was being amplified.

Change your fader & balance and treble & bass to help isolate each of the 4 corners and confirm the problem is with one speaker and not just most noticeable in the one nearest you.

If you're convinced you have an isolated issue don't hesitate to take it in. It could be a problem with the radio, amp, crossover, or even a poor connection instead.

Rob

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

romka7

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I took my wife's eos for the same problem, and they were willing to look at it. As it turned out, it was the door panel separating causing it to rattle. Also, check your door pockets for items that can rattle.

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the suggestions -- will take a closer look tonight. I did check for items in the door pocket already, hoping it was that. It's definitely the speaker but I'll test each independently and also via radio/CD/MDI/SD. I was listening via the SD most recently, for what that's worth.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
In a Golf with the Dynaudio upgrade, how many speakers are in the rear of the car? My brother was riding in my back seat, and at first he didn't think there was any audio back there. So I turned my fader to 100% rear, and he determined that there were speakers low on the rear doors, but he couldn't identify any other speaker locations. Is that it back there, or do I have a problem with my audio system?

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
In a Golf with the Dynaudio upgrade, how many speakers are in the rear of the car?
In both the front and the back, there are two speakers locations in each door. In the back there's one near the door handle and another at the bottom of the door.

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to determine it was solely the lower driver's door speaker with issues but the good news is that it's not the speaker itself. There must be a loose mount screw in there or a loose panel, as if I push on the panel a little bit, the distortion gets worse. If I pull out the panel a bit, it goes away completely.

I didn't see any screws to access the speaker, so I'm assuming you have to pry off the whole panel? Has anyone done that? If it's pretty easy I'll give it a go. Otherwise I'll skip the risk of breaking something myself and let the dealer mess with it next trip in.

Last edited:

robmu

TDI
2012 Golf
Thanks for posting your findings. Glad to hear it's not the speaker.

I don't know much about the door panels on our cars but on previous cars I always found a way to ruin a plastic fastener or two. :)

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally had my 20k mile service a few weeks ago and the dealer actually agreed to replace the speaker. I honestly think it was just a loose mount, but who am I to complain. :) They ordered the speaker and replaced a few days ago. All's working great again!

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
Vag-com can test each individuall channel as well as show any faults if the speaker coil doesnt report the correct impedance