Any info on a diesel exhaust tester Bosch EFAW 68A?

vwconejo

TDI
B4 and couple or Rabbits
Been searching and so far all the info I've found does not show how to operate. It has one on/off switch but requires three 1.5v batteries, D cell batteries fit correctly but do not meet the 1.5v requirements. C cell batteries are correct voltage but not right size, any help is appreciated, thanks!

vwconejo

TDI
B4 and couple or Rabbits
Click the link in my signature for how to post pics. Use the club server here.
Picture filesize is too big, it won't allow me to upload it. A quick Google search will show a picture for those that want to see what it looks like. I want to make it work.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Been searching and so far all the info I've found does not show how to operate. It has one on/off switch but requires three 1.5v batteries, D cell batteries fit correctly but do not meet the 1.5v requirements. C cell batteries are correct voltage but not right size, any help is appreciated, thanks!

????

Any alkaline (or regular) battery is 1.5 volts - D, C, AA, AAA, whatever . . . the voltage is defined by the chemistry, not the size. The only ones in D size that are not are 1.5 volt are rechargeables, that are closer to 1.2 . . .

- Tim

vwconejo

TDI
B4 and couple or Rabbits
Correct, I used 3 D batteries, rechargeable, and no luck. The lower voltage would be an issue but I figured it would at least turn on. There was no indication of orientation on the battery slots on the tester nor in the manual. I'll locate some regular D batteries and see what it does.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Those 1.2v rechargeables are fine, they provide the same current as an 1.5v alkaline battery.
Look carefully at the contacts to determine battery orientation. There will be a protrusion for the negative and a flat for the positive.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Perhaps, but current is rarely the issue. Equipment designed for non-rechargeable batteries often see the 1.2v of a rechargeable as dead when expecting a 1.5v cell . . . This device is likely too old to care . . . . but may well suffer accuracy issues if not designed with 1.2v cells in mind.