Gen II 3.0 speculation(s).

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
can you please elaborate? know someone where this happened to them?
There are several posts in the thread of people who knew half the money was collected yet the car still showed full money available. You won't know till you file the paper work for sure if that is the case.

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
Claimed or not?

So I've been through this thread and still just a bit confused.

I'm looking at buying a Gen II 3.0, and can't figure out if 1/2 of payout has already been claimed. I've added it as another vehicle to my claims.vwgoa.com profile and basically made it look like I already owned it. The site lets me get all the way to "submit proof of ownership". No suggestion that anything other than full restitution is available.

I've called the hotline and they just say they can't tell me anything because of privacy.

Car is at a dealer now and had one previous owner who sold back in the end of May.

the $4000 share of the restitution is obviously a big factor in determining the value of the car.

Thanks for any suggestions.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
So I've been through this thread and still just a bit confused.
I'm looking at buying a Gen II 3.0, and can't figure out if 1/2 of payout has already been claimed. I've added it as another vehicle to my claims.vwgoa.com profile and basically made it look like I already owned it. The site lets me get all the way to "submit proof of ownership". No suggestion that anything other than full restitution is available.
I've called the hotline and they just say they can't tell me anything because of privacy.
Car is at a dealer now and had one previous owner who sold back in the end of May.
the $4000 share of the restitution is obviously a big factor in determining the value of the car.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Unfortunately there is no 100% guaranteed way to find out unless you speak with previous owner.

Big R

TDI
Unfortunately there is no 100% guaranteed way to find out unless you speak with previous owner.
Original owner is MIA. Current owner for last couple of months is a dealer. Can the dealer have applied?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Bingo. You have to make the deal assuming that you only get half. Then just cross your fingers and hope for the bonus $4k. Think of it like an expensive lottery ticket.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Original owner is MIA. Current owner for last couple of months is a dealer. Can the dealer have applied?
Yes, I believe they can. I'mnot 100% sure on this though.

Bingo. You have to make the deal assuming that you only get half. Then just cross your fingers and hope for the bonus $4k. Think of it like an expensive lottery ticket.
I have two that I haven't taken in yet. Fingers crossed! :)

Big R

TDI
Yes, I believe they can. I'mnot 100% sure on this though.
I have two that I haven't taken in yet. Fingers crossed! :)
Update...I called claims hotline again. Dude said 1) no prior owner had applied, and couldn't now that they don't own, and 2) dealer cannot apply.

They take great pains to say that the calls are recorded, and they asked for and received my account info, so I'm going to make a fuss if I don't get both halves of the $8k....

That's my plan any way...assuming I can close the deal.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Update...I called claims hotline again. Dude said 1) no prior owner had applied, and couldn't now that they don't own, and 2) dealer cannot apply.
They take great pains to say that the calls are recorded, and they asked for and received my account info, so I'm going to make a fuss if I don't get both halves of the $8k....
That's my plan any way...assuming I can close the deal.
Did you ask WHY the dealer couldn't claim?

Be very, very careful trusting the VW telephone claims people, I've known much more about the program the few times I have spoken to them.

Big R

TDI
Did you ask WHY the dealer couldn't claim?
Be very, very careful trusting the VW telephone claims people, I've known much more about the program the few times I have spoken to them.
Didn't ask...but Dealer has said they didn't and wouldn't, and of course the Dealer would never fib. (...of course, I'll get the dealer to commit to that in writing).

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
If it was a corporate VW/Audi dealer; the settlement expressly forbids them from claiming them (also employees privately), they would be in violation of a court order.. now a 3rd party used car dealer, nothing stopping em but ignorance.

ujames

TDI
YES
back to the speculation...

With the deadline coming soon, I haven't heard of any progress nor updates on the submitted emissions fix. Anyone else hear anything?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Nobody's heard anything on any of the existing fixes until they were done.. 8 months of crickets since they hinted they submitted the fix for the Gen1 2.0L guys then BAM, fixed..

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
It never ceases to amaze me that people always mix up the fixes for 2.0L and for 3.0L gen 2. The 2.0L was a compromised fix and the 3.0L gen 2 must be fixed to the original certified emission standard. Pretty sure there will be a compromised fix for 3.0L gen 2, not so much on a "certified fix".

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
What was I mixing up? I was just pointing out they fixed 3 generations of 2.0L engines and until the day the fix was approved there was no news, everything was silent.. I would not expect any news about the progress of the fix before the fix is released..

Remember they get several 90 day extensions; October could come and go w/no fix; and that dont necessarily mean your getting a buyback option.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
What was I mixing up? I was just pointing out they fixed 3 generations of 2.0L engines and until the day the fix was approved there was no news, everything was silent.. I would not expect any news about the progress of the fix before the fix is released..

Remember they get several 90 day extensions; October could come and go w/no fix; and that dont necessarily mean your getting a buyback option.
BUT, you would get $500 if you have a 2.2 3.0!

ujames

TDI
YES
Good point. However, if proposed fixes were rejected I believe they made news (e.g., Passat manual transmission),

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Good point. However, if proposed fixes were rejected I believe they made news (e.g., Passat manual transmission),
The only reason we only found out the Passat 6MT was rejected was because they approved the more popular DSG and did not want any confusion.. it was was a footnote in the announcement of the DSG fix.

tenacious84

TDI
'13 Passat SEL
Posting this here, in case anyone has input...

I have a 2015 Q5...so I am part of the 3.0, Generation 2 settlement...

I lease my car, and my lease ends 12/18/17. I went for my initial appointment for the first $1000 bucks and then now we are waiting for a fix...and the court docs say November 2017 for my car...and then once it is fixed, I get another $1000...but if its not fixed, then there's more $ coming.

What happens if my lease ends in between all of that? If they get their deadline extended for 90 days, which I expect they will...and my lease ends in that time...am I screwed?

Any input appreciated, thank you!
You started an entire thread and then copy/pasted here, stop with the cludder. Starting a thread was good enough.

Last edited:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
The Decision Date for 2.2 SUVs is October 23. Any advanced word?

The 2.2 SUV sub-generation consists of 2015 and 2016 VW Touaregs and Porsche Cayenne Diesels.

The 2.1 SUVs Decision date is November 8. 2.1 SUV includes 2013 and 2014 VW Touareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne Diesel, and 2015 Q7, A6 quattro, A7 quattro, A8, A8L, Q5.

I have a 2014 Q5, and wonder why the 2014's are in the same PC class with the A6, A7, and A8, while the 2015 Q5 is in the 2.1 PC?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The Decision Date for 2.2 SUVs is October 23. Any advanced word?

The 2.2 SUV sub-generation consists of 2015 and 2016 VW Touaregs and Porsche Cayenne Diesels.

The 2.1 SUVs Decision date is November 8. 2.1 SUV includes 2013 and 2014 VW Touareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne Diesel, and 2015 Q7, A6 quattro, A7 quattro, A8, A8L, Q5.

I have a 2014 Q5, and wonder why the 2014's are in the same PC class with the A6, A7, and A8, while the 2015 Q5 is in the 2.1 PC?
No.

VW submitted the fix months ago, there is speculation that there is another crap storm brewing because VW has suppressed information that is holding up the approval process.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...yer-emissions-tester-were-lost-or-wiped-clean

Also, there is word that a damning NETFLIX documentary is on the way.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
No.
VW submitted the fix months ago, there is speculation that there is another crap storm brewing because VW has suppressed information that is holding up the approval process.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...yer-emissions-tester-were-lost-or-wiped-clean
Also, there is word that a damning NETFLIX documentary is on the way.
Nothing on the calendar regarding a hearing on Oct 23 or Nov 8. In theory, the judge can be lenient on VW and allow them an extension without having to pay penalties.

Anyone know of a way to petition the judge to not be lenient on VW? From the transcripts of the last few hearings, it seems that Breyer is very buddy-buddy with the VW attorneys, and even the PSC is "optimistic" about a fix, even though it's not in the best interests of the plaintiffs they represent.

Just worried that VW will be given months and months of "free" extra time to find a fix. If they don't have one now, they should be forced to compensate us.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
uh your Audi A8s fix is due, December 20th.. then they get up to 3x 30 day extensions and have to pay +$500 per vehicle, per extention.. meaning don't plan on a buyback unless March 20th passes with no fix released for 3.0L Gen2 Passenger Cars..

there will not be a court appearance for the EPA approving the fixes; all this stuff was hammered out last May when the settlement was approved.. Like all other fixes the EPA will publish a document approving the fixes VW proposed, and then a week or two later Dealers will start applying them, no court appearances have been required in the past, nor will they be in the future.

Last edited:

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Nothing on the calendar regarding a hearing on Oct 23 or Nov 8. In theory, the judge can be lenient on VW and allow them an extension without having to pay penalties.

Anyone know of a way to petition the judge to not be lenient on VW? From the transcripts of the last few hearings, it seems that Breyer is very buddy-buddy with the VW attorneys, and even the PSC is "optimistic" about a fix, even though it's not in the best interests of the plaintiffs they represent.

Just worried that VW will be given months and months of "free" extra time to find a fix. If they don't have one now, they should be forced to compensate us.
From the settlement:
"If an Emissions Compliant Repair is not available for any Sub-Generation by the corresponding Decision Date, the Court may grant an extension for good cause. If the Court does not find good cause, Volkswagen may choose to extend the deadlines for a maximum of 90 days. If Volkswagen extends the deadlines, it must pay an additional $500 per Eligible Vehicle per 30-day extension period on top of the other payments to Class Members."

I believe that VW has to demonstrate good cause for an extension. Typically, this would be by a Motion to the Court, and the EPA/CARB would have an opportunity to oppose the motion and argue why good cause has not been shown. VW could avoid this and simply opt to extend the deadlines a maximum of 90 days, but then they would have to pay the $500 per 30 days.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
uh your Audi A8s fix is due, December 20th.. then they get up to 3x 30 day extensions and have to pay +$500 per vehicle, per extention.. meaning don't plan on a buyback unless March 20th passes with no fix released for 3.0L Gen2 Passenger Cars..

there will not be a court appearance for the EPA approving the fixes; all this stuff was hammered out last May when the settlement was approved.. Like all other fixes the EPA will publish a document approving the fixes VW proposed, and then a week or two later Dealers will start applying them, no court appearances have been required in the past, nor will they be in the future.
I have 26 vehicles at present, a mix of 2.1 SUVs, 2.2 SUVs, and 2PCs.

Per the settlement, the VW's Gen 2.2 fix needs to be approved by CARB/EPA by October 23rd. However, if the fix is not approved by this deadline, there are 2 outcomes:

1. Judge issues a "good faith" extension to VW. VW does not pay owners anything for this extension

2. Judge does not issue an extension to VW. VW pays owners $500 per vehicle per month for up to 3 months.

I assumed that there would be some sort of hearing where the judge/PSC/VW would discuss VW's progress toward finding a fix and then issue a ruling about extension/no extension. But maybe the judge will just issue a statement on the 23rd if the EPA says VW's current fix is unsatisfactory.

I believe that VW has to demonstrate good cause for an extension. Typically, this would be by a Motion to the Court, and the EPA/CARB would have an opportunity to oppose the motion and argue why good cause has not been shown. VW could avoid this and simply opt to extend the deadlines a maximum of 90 days, but then they would have to pay the $500 per 30 days.
Right, I figured there would be some evidence of these filings or a hearing would be held for the parties to discuss fix progress (and whether or not a good faith extension would be granted), but nothing is on the calendar at present.

Last edited:

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
I would say they either get an extension granted or they buy the 3 months. Don't think ole Breyer is just gonna shut them down and demand a buyback until that stuff is exhausted.