Dealers getting ready as well!

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
UPDATE:

Got a shareable link directly to the video rendering these screen grabs useless!

https://audi-academy.kzoplatform.com:443/#/containers/746236629705823640?autoplay=on

Visited a friend that works at a dealership with Audi as a sister store. I noticed they were watching a training video so naturally I stuck around and snuck in a few screen shots. Quality isn't the best, sorry!

Looks like the dealers that take in your old car will have first picks at getting them back when a fix is available. Seems like they're getting fixed in house

Checklist of possible Fix?

Most of the other stuff is just internal fixed ops mumbo jumbo

Last edited:

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Interesting that vehicle is inspected for equipment after transaction. Isn't a bit late at that point? Are they going to send you a bill for missing spare tire?

durundal

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Candy White/Pure Beige, DSG, panoramic roof, rear side airbags
Interesting that vehicle is inspected for equipment after transaction. Isn't a bit late at that point? Are they going to send you a bill for missing spare tire?
Presumably it is to prevent people at the dealerships from stripping out stuff that VW now owns, or maybe for the leased vehicles?

Was there any indication of which generations the hardware shown was for?

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Okay, so this is news to me... the thousands upon thousands of TDIs bought-back by VW are going to be "fixed" and then re-sold across North America?

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
Presumably it is to prevent people at the dealerships from stripping out stuff that VW now owns, or maybe for the leased vehicles?
Was there any indication of which generations the hardware shown was for?
Nothing specific, and yes, the post turn-in inspections are to make sure that nav radio didn't get swapped out for a base model radio and things of that sort.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG

Might want to make sure dealer didn't strip it

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Might want to make sure dealer didn't strip it
And to determine the cost of what needs to be replaced. That would probably play in the decision of the whether an individual car would be accepted by the dealer for resale or not.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I spy 1K0 part numbers, which would be Mk5 Golf, implying that it's Gen 1.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
2x!!! I wonder what that rather large looking cat fits. And why are there three exhaust clamps next to it :confused:

-J
below photo shows gen 1 NOX trap (aka NOX CAT) and the DPF/DOC, with some of the tubing to pressure sensors.

top is the two-part 2009 and early 2010, lower example, is the separated design with added joint in the later cars (to 2014)

looks to me like a new version of the gen 1 NOX cat.

three clamps would be for before the NOX cat, after the NOX cat, and after the exhaust flap, which attaches to the NOX cat.

my guess is that rectangular box includes another clamp to connect one side of the egr filter.

my primary question still is if the 2009 and early 2010 will also get a replacement DPF since they are welded to the NOX cat. as in the lower version in the above photo.

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
why does a part that looks like it goes under the car have a reflector on it?

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
2x!!! I wonder what that rather large looking cat fits. And why are there three exhaust clamps next to it :confused:
-J
possibly just a "stock" type photo? Nothing in the video confirmed anything regarding the fix other than they're working on it diligently.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Okay, so this is news to me... the thousands upon thousands of TDIs bought-back by VW are going to be "fixed" and then re-sold across North America?

This is pretty well spelled out.

only pending part is the approval of the fix.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why does a part that looks like it goes under the car have a reflector on it?

that looks to me like a plastic plug to keep the filter clean until it is installed on the car.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, thanks a lot.

also note that this looks like it was captured in a Toronto dealer.

(the training video was prepared in Toronto, or using software which had that identity.)

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That EGR filter tube does look different than the current one. And the big part looks like the existing NOx-reduction catalyst (lean NOx trap) but a little larger maybe. This would of course not work on a 2009 model without also changing the DPF/oxy cat assembly.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Not necessarily - it could've been an example slide or something.

Something interesting from that, though - the form for a Gen 3 shows an LNT being added. Going to the BMW-esque LNT+SCR setup?

I'm still sticking with the parts picture being Gen 1 components, though - especially because this is in an Audi context, Audi's only Gen 3 car is a Mk7-based car, they don't have a Gen 2 car, and their only Gen 1 car is Mk5-based. Also, being Audi, there wouldn't be any discussion of replacing the DPF assembly on a 2009 - the A3 TDI launched in 2010.

Last edited:

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
In case the dealership sneaks in a stripping of something and tries to blame me for something is missing, I will be taking photos and taking video footage through my GoPro before handing the keys off.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the parts in the photo are consistent with the reported gen 1 fix

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5095172&postcount=3

Quote:
3.2.1 Require the installation of a new exhaust flap, EGR filter, and NOx Trap
that meets the specifications of
BASF TEX2064, as proposed by Settling Defendants to
EPA and CARB on January 28, 2016, or, subject to EPA/CARB approval, such other
functionally and effectively equivalent hardware or software, provided that Settling
Defendants propose such other hardware or software in the applicable Proposed
Emissions Modification.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
No bullet point:

* Are doors/windows/hood/trunk lid/seats still intact on car?

No? That must mean we are allowed to remove them!!