'97 AHU into ’81 Rabbit LX

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Forgot to mention what happened Saturday am....

I dropped the B4 off at the body shop Sunday night, to get some rust on the front doors fixed. Pete dropped the car off Thursday, while I was at work. I didn't touch the car, because I didn't feel like putting the doors back together.

Saturday morning, I wanted to get it in a better position for reassembly. I was looking out the front door and activated the B4's remote starter. Pete left the car in gear, and it lurched into the rear of the Rabbit! The B4 was pushing the Rabbit towards the closed garage door!

HOLY FU*K, I never moved so fast! I was running outside, but was able to cancel the start command through the remote. Luckily, Pete had really pulled on the e-brake and the car never started. I had a decent amount of clutch smoke pouring from under the hood... the Rabbit was inches away from the garage door.

Amazingly, there was no damage to either car....

Otherwise, minor progress. I shortened the clutch and brake plug lengths, by about 2'. Need to locate the A4 pedal, to verify terminal type. Those wires will be shortened about 3'.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Shortened the pedal cluster wires rewrapped and reinstalled. Loom was used where the stock metal bands gripped the harness.

I wasn't thinking and could have had all of the slack at the ecu side. I wasn't planning on adding lengths of wire back in, so I looped the slack at the fuse panel. I can live with it.

Did some depinning and untangled the harness on the engine side. Found a chafed wire and had to cut about 12" of wire out to find clean copper.... pretty surprised.

Need to figure out how much if this side will run through the frame horn. Once I run it through and reterminate, it's pretty much stuck in there...

-Todd

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cutting a circular hole would have been too easy. There's a structural rib in the frame horn and I wanted to avoid it. I wanted to stay away from the lower curvature to retain strength.

Depinned, untangled and temporarily ran the engine harness.

Need to pull and wrap. The lengthening will need to occur later, once the engine is in. Still need to consider wiring for AC, rad fans, MAF, etc. that needs to go through the frame horn.

-Todd

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Went though the AC and FCM harness. Only thing pulled from it was the goofy 135 relay. I need to look at the Rabbit harness and see what's in it. May be worth it to run it. I doubt it's as bulky and complex.

Sprayed some paint in the latest frame horn hole. I'm contemplating running the harnesses through the inner fender, again...

-Todd

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This thread name needs to change to "project indecisive "...

Removed both harnesses from the firewall and ran them through the kick panel. Got the additional slack out of the ECU harness... this is going to work out a little easier.

Terrible pics, because I can't pull the fender. Temporarily screwed some saddle style wire tie mounts to the inner fender and mocked in the harnesses. Now, everything needs to get lengthened.

Bought a knock out set, and punched a hole in the inner fender. I'll probably never use this tool, again. Leaves a very nice, burr free edge. Need to get paint on the new holes.

The harnesses will eventually get wrapped. I'll do that much later... wasting way too much time wrapping and unwrapping...

-Todd

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Washed the car; it's been in the back of my head and I don't want the paint to get messed up. This was the first time it's been washed, since it was pushed home 03/24/16... wow, that's almost 1.5 years ago! The pollen and other grime was thick.

There are a couple stains in the hood. I need to clay the car, then put a quick coat of wax on it and wash it at least once a month.

I guess I need to figure out a new pic host. Not sure if I'll be fixing the dead links.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not much progress in the past several months.

Joined Flikr, so let's see how that goes... slight learning curve. I'll probably start fixing pics, slowly (very slowly).

Bought a QuickJack. Not sure if it's worth the money, yet. Used it to assist with installing the engine and trans, again...

Finally installed the rear TT HD mount. Didn't like how the fit was. Had to elongate the slots on the mount (2x) and shift the engine over. Also bought a TT HD front. Hoping these don't vibrate too much.

Started installing a couple Weatherpack connectors.

Need to figure out my notes on wire connectors and colors. It's been a while since this stuff was pulled apart.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, apparently I can't get Flikr to work. Imgur seems temperamental, and I can't figure out how to resize the images... they're huge.

Post Image, seems ok, but still not perfect.

I'll start at the beginning of the thread.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, fixing the pics isn't as bad as I thought, but it's still time consuming. I figured out Imgur's sizing trick, but it's still an extra step.

Both Imgur and Postimage don't make it easy, not providing BB links and I don't think you can upload vid to either.

Can anyone recommend an iOS friendly app that makes it easy like Photobucket? Auto resizing, BB tags, etc.?

Seems most of what I've seen is geared to PC users.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
So, fixing the pics isn't as bad as I thought, but it's still time consuming. I figured out Imgur's sizing trick, but it's still an extra step.

Both Imgur and Postimage don't make it easy, not providing BB links and I don't think you can upload vid to either.

Can anyone recommend an iOS friendly app that makes it easy like Photobucket? Auto resizing, BB tags, etc.?

Seems most of what I've seen is geared to PC users.

-Todd
Just use Tapatalk. No need to upload images separately anywhere, you just stick them directly in your postings...

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, I downloaded tapatalk, and now I can see pics that I didn't rehost.

Went back to safari to see what's up, and I'm still seeing pics...

Can others see all of the pics? Did I waste hours of my life... rehosting pics, not the project...?

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tapatalk has its quirks also. For new posts, I can see it being easier, but for thread resurrection, I think Postimage is easier.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I see some pics but not all, only about half or fewer of the pics on page 8 are visible.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steve, the few pics you're seeing on page 8 are the pics I rehosted. i finally finished moving this thread's pics. PB is still holding out... with my luck, they'll do a 180 when I'm finished.

I mentioned I started on the engine harness with Weatherpack terminals. As I snipped and terminated, the wires got shoved into shrouds and they were numbered. The cut pigtail got labeled and found its way back in its original VW connector.

I had totally disassembled my engine harness barrel when I was working within the frame horns. The numbers are tiny and some holes aren't labeled. This may be useful to someone.

Weatherpack is only good for 25A, so I bought a Metripack 630 connection kit, for the GP leads. My crimper doesn't do 10ga and I didn't want to buy another crimper. Used my crimper for F connections and it seems to have worked fine.

Seller never disclosed the female terminals are "pull to lock", so I screwed that up. I'll revisit....

A cheap crimper gives some solid crimps.

The 3rd injector and CPS harnesses are in Corroplast. I thought it was just going to be wire in some type of shrink tubing, but it's shielded. I guess I'll find out later, if I have issues.

Cleaned a few of the harnesses and loose plugs in water based degreaser. The stuff was filthy.

Almost done with the main engine harness, then I move to the engine bay lighting harness.

-Todd

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No real progress on the Rabbit. Seller was good enough to send me more Metripack terminals at no charge, although I screwed up the install. I think I lost them, already...

I went to the JY to get some untinted glass, but they crushed the Rabbit I needed.

Other than losing a socket and side cutters, I stumbled upon an automatic A4 Jetta TDI. Someone beat me to the car and grabbed the IP. I never see TDIs In my yards.

Went to another JY that recently reopened. First car I see is another auto A4 Jetta TDI. Grabbed the IP, fuel lines, injectors, etc.

Pump is filthy and I can barely make out the markings. If you squint just right, you can see "414".

Group shot after cleaning the pump.

Saw this the morning after cleaning. JY had no clue why the car was there, but this may be the reason.

Add a IP reseal to the queue.

Need to get this one done for my pick up, then I move back to the project.

-Todd

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Todd, you could try Imgur for hosting, I'm using that in the future but not going back to correct any of the old stuff posted from pbucket, too much time.

Remember that those injectors will have smaller nozzle openings if they're from an AT car, which I assume is what all that came from.

Build is coming along nicely, I know what you mean about time going by quickly. I just passed 20k mile mark in the wagon, 17 months on the road, but I took delivery of that wagon in Sept 2014 so that was quite a while in the making, and for certain aspects it's still not completely done...to my liking.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Imgur had an additional step to resize images, which I didn't want to go through. Huge pics that make the text tiny and scrolling necessary is annoying... first world problems...

I only grabbed the injectors because they were there. The car came with Smog nozzles and a TD tune, so I'll give it a shot. I also have a set of injectors with DLC 1019s that I bought for the wagon about a year back, and did nothing with. They'll likely end up in this, along with the 2052 that was also purchased for the wagon.

Other than finding my Metripack terminals, nothing has changed. IDI pump was resealed, with a TDI camplate, plunger and distributor but not fully assembled. I wanted to paint the linkage, body, etc.

You should be happy your project is at least on the road. I'm spending too much time planning, changing my mind and doing nothing. Thanks for the words of encouragement, though!

I've been working 60+ hour work weeks, and that's not helping.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Other than finding my Metripack terminals, nothing has changed.

6+ months later, they finally got crimped on.... well at least 2 of them. This was the only thing that’s happened in months and it gave me a small shot of motivation.

Shoved the harness (loosely) back in and started making notes of the plugs and tracking their destination, toning out wires etc. I figure I’ll need to have an idea of what’s what, to lengthen the harnesses properly.

I figure progress is progress. Hopefully, I keep at it!

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice work Todd.

In the same boat as you are right now, not really interested in working on anything, especially since we've been having 95+ temps in May...yuck!

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Honestly, the truck has been getting all the attention, recently. Everything I’ve been doing is instant gratification!

Pretty silly, though... I log maybe 200 miles per year on it. I did use it to move about 6.5 tons of pavers, recently. Average load was around 1,300lbs. It deserved some love. This year may be closer to 400 miles.

I just realized most of my pics are dead.... postimage changed the “.org” to “.cc”....

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I finally finished my basic sensor harness. I used two T14a connectors, got me a pair open barrel terminal pliers and went to town. It seems like I can buy a pyrometer for the turbo that terminates in two bare wires and I can hopefully crimp those and plug them straight into one of the T14a connectors. I want to try to find a boost hose that is not made of flexible plastic tube so it doesn't want to try to constantly coil and ends up becoming brittle. I think I will wrap my harness with a roll of that extreme tape you showed on your thread. Glad to see it's still trucking! I have to update my thread still.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don’t think you’d want to use silicone tape, as harness wrap. It fuses to itself, and if you have 2 harnesses together, they could fuse to each other.

The stuff needs to be cut, if you need to open it.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
What did you use your xtape for then?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m using dry vinyl tape to wrap the harness. To prevent unraveling at the ends, I used silicone self fusing tape. If I was able to pull the pins from the plug, shrink tube was used.

In other news, I went to the JY to get a A3 wiper motor for the truck. I found an A3 Jetta TDI. I may go back tomorrow for the engine harness and cluster.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I’m using dry vinyl tape to wrap the harness. To prevent unraveling at the ends, I used silicone self fusing tape. If I was able to pull the pins from the plug, shrink tube was used.

In other news, I went to the JY to get a A3 wiper motor for the truck. I found an A3 Jetta TDI. I may go back tomorrow for the engine harness and cluster.

-Todd
Nice find, extra harness and cluster worth having. I found a 2006 Jetta TDI at JY a few months ago. It was in accident so engine might have been ok, but was PD and unfamiliar to me so I didn't pursue any purchase. Also was higher miles and unknown maintenance.

steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did go back and grabbed the cluster, cluster harness, ecu and injectors. I wasn’t really in the mood to get the engine harness out.

I mainly needed the cluster and harness, for this project.... it’s not as wide as the B4 cluster. When I’ve seen the B4 cluster in A1 dashes, I don’t like seeing the sides cut off. Some custom work will be involved in getting it looking decent. I’m hoping it comes out decent, lol.

Plugged the cluster into the Rotbox to test it, and amazingly enough, everything works!

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was going to go back to the JY, but the shore traffic was terrible. I ended up turning around and went home. Seems I’m looking for any excuse to not work on the project...

Figured I had to get something accomplished, so I decided to peel the Gorilla tape from the block deck and peer inside. Everything looked as it should and I taped it back up.

Used some wood dowels and laid the head on, and loosely added the engine harness to establish some wire lengths. Looks like everything will need to be extended about 6’.

I also riveted more saddle clamps under the driver frame horn, to try and hide the harnesses a bit.

Went through bagged harnesses, that I wouldn’t be using, and spent about 40 minutes unwrapping, cleaning and detangling wires from 1 harness. In the end, I was able to harvest around 5 wires that met the needed length. What a waste of time....

I originally wanted to try and match the factory wire colors, or at least get them close, but that would have been a huge time consumer. I ended up ordering 20 gauge wire online.

-Todd

IdontownaVW

TDI
MK1 AHU, Colorado Duramax
Well worth the read! Hopefully it ends up on the road pretty soon.

Also, I think the intersection in the picture of the rabbit on a tow truck is familiar to me...looks like right at the 495 on ramp.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, glad to see that you made your way over here.

I honestly can’t say, but I do believe I bought the car in Wilmington.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I started lengthening the harness. Spent some additional time to come up with a wiring/connection legend. I ended up needing to order more wire.... 18awg, this time.

Started labeling the Weatherpacks connectors, in a cleaner manner.

Realized I needed to open the hole in the inner fender to get the other side of the connectors through. Carbide burr ate through it and cleaned it up with a file. Cleaned it up and sprayed some paint on the bare metal.

Made a bracket from some 16ga to keep the harness routing tidy.

I was going to weld some gussets on it, but it’s plenty rigid. Sprayed some paint on it and I’m done for the day.

-Todd