2007 GMC Canyon TDI Project

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
maybe I need to move a mile or two south...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
No inspections of any kind.I just take the title to the DMV, they process my paper work,and reg/tag the truck.They never even look at it.I've done quite a few gasser swaps and they just shrug it off.
Iowa doesn't care either.

Steve

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Sorry. Now back to your fantastic project...

I can't wait for your initial run.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Sorry. Now back to your fantastic project...

I can't wait for your initial run.
Thank you.

I am waiting for a HEX-CAN cable. 2Micron was kind enough to ship his to me. It turning over and seems to have right rail pressure but no injection is taking place.

I also decided to reinstall the GMC ECU because it is taking care of a lot of other stuff besides the engine. Will post a few update pics tomorrow...just got back in town from work.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
ok. These are the faults I have.

Not sure if any of them would prevent starting.
TPS seems like it has a problem on one of the redundant sensors..the other sensor works good. Turbo position sensor..I do not have one..just a vacuum actuator..so need a delete there I guess. MAF, again I do not have one. Should be a MAP tune only with MAF delete.

Thursday,05,November,2015,20:48:55:41840
VCDS Version: Release 15.7.1 (x64) Running on Windows 7 x64
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03L-906-022-CBA.clb
Control Module Part Number: 03L 906 022 LS HW: 03L 906 022 BQ
Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG 3610
Software Coding: 0000072
Work Shop Code: WSC 00191 264 15243
VCID: 0102747558AA7A3652-8054
4 Faults Found:

008482 - Accelerator Position Sensor (G79)
P2122 - 000 - Signal too Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 4.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 11.78 V
Voltage: 0.000 V
Voltage: 0.304 V
Bin. Bits: 0 00 0

000290 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
P0122 - 000 - Signal too Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Lambda: 99.4 %
Lambda: -0.8 %
Bin. Bits: 00000000

009572 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
P2564 - 000 - Signal too Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Lambda: 0.0 %
Lambda: -4.7 %

000257 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0101 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 815.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Turns out problem had nothing to do with the fuel pump. I took it all apart and back together. Replaced a few parts...still no start. But I noticed the crank position sensor was reading 0 during cranking. Today I did some testing and found the signal wire from the crank position sensor to the ecu did not have continuity. I put in a jumper wire as a test and it started with about 3 seconds of cranking!! now I can focus on other issues to clean up and get this thing on road. TPS was non responsive so may be more broken wires? will find ot with some testing.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Sorry, I should have chimed in earlier, I had noticed that in your freeze frame data. Been too busy to be on the forums lately. Awesome project!

Jon

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
Thank you.
I am waiting for a HEX-CAN cable. 2Micron was kind enough to ship his to me. It turning over and seems to have right rail pressure but no injection is taking place.
I also decided to reinstall the GMC ECU because it is taking care of a lot of other stuff besides the engine. Will post a few update pics tomorrow...just got back in town from work.

Do you have the pics that you mentionned here? cant wait to see more

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Finally got the Canyon out for a test drive yesterday and again today. Yesterday all it would do is idle around town. No response when I pressed the accelerator pedal down in gear. After doing some data logging it seemed certain the engine was torque limited at 201Nm.
Today I went out again. Being the roads are very icy I thought I would see if the wheels would spin-up and the engine would rev up in a no traction situation. This would somewhat prove the ECU torque limitation is the problem. I found a nice polished piece of ice and floored it. Sure enough it slowly started spinning and the rpm finally going above idle. It ended up reaching about 3500 RPM. After I did this, I noticed the torque limiter was now moved up to 399NM and I can accelerate as expected. I am unsure why that happened. :confused: seems all very unpredictable and random. The question on my mind..if I drive to the city could it possibly go back to the torque limitation of 201Nm again without notice, leaving me to get a tow truck to get it home. :( I managed to get in some good data logging this morning. Turbo is not performing. Right now the control rod is precariously on there without a clip and it may of fell off, thus causing the problem. I will try wiring it in position to see if I get over-boost. On other matters, the transmission control needs a LOT of work. It is dragging super hard at idle and shift points seem way to sporty at this point. I am also surprised how aggressive 1st to 2nd shift is with the corvette solenoid. The combination of high torque engine and lighter chassis equates to chirping tires every time on dry pavement, and that is with lame 1050mbar boost.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Driving truck and tuning transmission yesterday. Turbo control rod was not operating so I wired the turbo vanes mostly closed. Controlling boost by pedal position. I can follow boost spec decently close by modulating pedal position. lol You can hear/see 1-2 shift in the video. There is a thump and puff sound from turbo. I have tried dropping line pressure but it is still very aggressive shift. I might go back to factory solenoid next summer.
I am getting way too much drag on transmission during idle. Idle is around 943RPM IIRC. When I shift in gear, the ecu increases fueling to maintain RPM. I do not really want to decrease park/neutral idle rpm, but a different tune that allows engine RPM to drop when TPS is a 0% would be a good solution. I am thinking a torque limited control at idle. Or another option might be a drop in idle RPM when brake is engaged. I have asked Johan to consider if these are possible. My only other option is drop idle to 700-750 and/or higher stall torque converter. Right now I have to put truck in neutral for braking and turning corners because the rear wheels push too hard for somewhat slippery conditions.
You can also watch how the USShift controller shifts 3-4th around 0:50. The dot is travelling up vertically prior to shift. This is increasing speed. When the speed reaches/crosses the shift line, it shifts gears. It moves to the left after shift because I let off on throttle a bit.

https://youtu.be/rBnJMyMjKGo

This is how it looks under the hood as off last night. It is pretty much all done other than tuning issues, and replacement of TPS, and replacing my dash light being used for energizing alternator. My current bulb is too big and back feeds power when ignition is turned off. I will upload more pictures later.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You're going to be stuck in limp mode without an actuator position sensor. You'll have to swap in a BEW actuator or a CR actuator. I'm not sure exactly what actuators are compatible with CR ECUs.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
You're going to be stuck in limp mode without an actuator position sensor. You'll have to swap in a BEW actuator or a CR actuator. I'm not sure exactly what actuators are compatible with CR ECUs.
I actually installed the CJAA actuator last week. The position sensor code went away after that. Then two days ago it came back again even though it is plugged in. The actuator is almost new so I will have to guess it is one more wiring problem. I have dealt with a hand full of sensor wires not having continuity and it has taken me a long time to work through all these problems.

These are my current fault codes. Any of your comments would be appreciated.

VCID: 0102747558AA7A3652-8054
4 Faults Found:

000290 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
P0122 - 000 - Signal too Low - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Voltage: 12.46 V
Lambda: -0.8 %

008448 - Throttle Actuator Control Circuit
P2100 - 000 - Open Circuit - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Load: 0.0 %
Temperature: 71.1°C

000257 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0101 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 12.46 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 755.0 mg/str

009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit
P2563 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 920 /min
Voltage: 14.29 V
Lambda: 65.5 %
Lambda: -4.7 %
Bin. Bits: 00001110
Voltage: 1.976 V

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 1

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
this is really cool .... actual running and driving CR swap ... looking forward to your tuning solutions and dialing in the torque converter and shift controller
not really any progress today other than driving it quit a bit. Drove close to 200km today..in limp mode..but had a comfortable speed of 90kph on icy road. Oh, I did find a suitable indicator lamp for the alternator.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Is the actuator hooked up on the turbo too or just floating? If its just floating, tee in with the N75. If its on the turbo - might want to re-think that as I'm guessing the turbo needs a pull actuator and the CJAA actuator is a push type. Make sure its functional and not binding.

1.976v at 920RPM is not very common - that is around 10in-hg of vacuum

If you don't have a MAF plugged in - you'll want to get the codes deleted.

I'm guessing its wiring issues on the throttle - make sure its pinned properly.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Is the actuator hooked up on the turbo too or just floating? If its just floating, tee in with the N75. If its on the turbo - might want to re-think that as I'm guessing the turbo needs a pull actuator and the CJAA actuator is a push type. Make sure its functional and not binding.
The actuator link is not hooked up to the turbo actuator right now. It kept falling off as I do not have a C-clip to keep it on (lost my only one during installation :eek:). I would say it is unclear if the actuator will perform correctly yet. I am unclear from the fault code if there is an electrical problem, or if it can show this code with just a control problem (actual not meeting spec).

1.976v at 920RPM is not very common - that is around 10in-hg of vacuum.
Are you saying that this reading might indicate wiring problems?

If you don't have a MAF plugged in - you'll want to get the codes deleted.
I am currently waiting for a MPPS and a file update.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I have no idea whether your values indicate wiring problems, I am not clear at all as to what is really going on with your setup. What I do know, that 1.976v at 920rpm is not very common, usually the actuator is fully extended and that would read closer to 0-1v, unless it just physically cannot extend far enough because of a stop screw adjustment, let off adjustment, or binding. I can't diagnose it behind a computer screen unless there is a whole lot more information presented.

Again - a CJAA actuator is a push actuator, it appears the turbo requires a pull actuator.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I have no idea whether your values indicate wiring problems, I am not clear at all as to what is really going on with your setup. What I do know, that 1.976v at 920rpm is not very common, usually the actuator is fully extended and that would read closer to 0-1v, unless it just physically cannot extend far enough because of a stop screw adjustment, let off adjustment, or binding. I can't diagnose it behind a computer screen unless there is a whole lot more information presented.

Again - a CJAA actuator is a push actuator, it appears the turbo requires a pull actuator.

It took a few days but I get your point now. lol. :eek: The vacuum is applied to the exact opposite side of the diaphragm on the CBEA/CJAA actuator, when compared to what we would normally install on the GTA series turbo. The rod is clearly pushing when it should be pulling and pulling when it should be pushing...the exact opposite of what the ECU is expecting. :rolleyes: I can see how this is a definite problem. I am getting a new actuator to replace this one.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Awesome project! How are things coming along?
Thanks.

I am still waiting for some parts to get things working properly (new tps pedal, different position sensor turbo actuator and an MPPS to flash some new tunes on it.). I have been driving it around in limp mode. About 600km now. Averaging 35mpg which doesn't mean much yet because I can only go 95kph most of the time..and in 3rd gear not 4th..just wont pull fourth most of the time. It is starting very well at -15C without being plugged in. I just installed a coolant heater cord today before it gets colder. Charger system is working good with a new dash light I found for energizing it. My other one was a bit too big and the engine would not shut off unless I disconnected it. Lots of heat in the cab so happy about that. No Leaks or drips anywhere so very happy about that too.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thread update.

Still running in limp mode. I have an MPPS to flash new file on ECU but waiting for Johan to send me something. I ended up installing the vacuum actuator back on the turbo and put the position sensing actuator in parallel to it. No longer getting a positioner sensor code doing this. Nice call Jon F!
I also received my ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII transmitter and loaded both DashCommand and Torque on my Note 5. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Right now I like the Torque software better. There are lots of custom skins and gauges available.

I have a good tail wind at this time so made it over 95kph in limp. :rolleyes:
2350RPM at 112KPH..might change the rear diff gears to get that down to 2000RPM but right now I have smaller winter tires on so need to run it in the summer a bit with larger tires and no limp mode to get a better feel for things.

Night time view of gauges. Looks pretty nice. I have a larger tablet or a couple smaller screens I may permanently set-up in that area. Will build a custom cover to finish it nice.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Finally got this thing out if limp mode. Sent the ecu back to Johan and received it back Monday. Installed and tested... Power is very nice. Truck is pretty quick. Just some refining on tunning now. I think I have a slight boost leak somewhere too.
Truck accelerated from 100-138 in a short pass so that makes me happy!

I took a short video that same day. I will try to post it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
very nice!.... do you know what the issue was with the ecm ?... or did i miss that point ?... What are your feelings on using a tablet or smartphone as a permanent gauge installation ?... any other folks using the same approach ?.... again i love the swap and congrats on the milestone :)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
very nice!.... do you know what the issue was with the ecm ?... or did i miss that point ?... What are your feelings on using a tablet or smartphone as a permanent gauge installation ?... any other folks using the same approach ?.... again i love the swap and congrats on the milestone :)
There are a few more faults that showed up after the ecu tune was changed to show all of them. I don't have the file with me to post. It is inconvienant to use the phone as a display because I seem to get a lot of calls while driving. Lol. Getting a tablet and may be one other old android phone set up with proper mount and power supply is the way to go I think. I really like the display. Lag is not an issue. A couple screens can display lots of information... Way more than traditional cluster.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Flashed a new tune on my ECU yesterday using FGTECH Gilletto 4 that Johan (VVT) sent me. It works pretty seamless on EDC17 so very happy to get it.
We are working on idle and low end fueling. Can't do too much more until I can borrow a CAN-HEX cable again. Right now idle is turned down to 780 and drags down to 740-750 when in gear. There is still some drag in torque converter so I think next step is getting a higher stall torque converter. The drag is also making the truck super laggy from stop to about 5kph. If I had some slip I think it would launch from stop nicely.

These are the codes I had last week. One or several of them must of been causing the limp mode. I do not know which ones.

VCID: 0102747558AA7A3671-8054
7 Faults Found:

001029 - EGR Sensor 1
P0405 - 000 - Signal too Low
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000

Freeze Frame:
Speed: 1.0 km/h
Voltage: 11.48 V
Lambda: -1.6 %

049154 - Powertrain Databus
U0002 - 000 - No Communications - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 9.0°C
Voltage: 11.63 V
Bin. Bits: 00001000
Torque: 126.0 Nm
Temperature: 19.8°C

009258 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor; B1 S3
P242A - 000 - Malfunction
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 6.3°C
Temperature: 18.0°C
Temperature: 930.0°C

009326 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 Bank 1
P246E - 000 - Electrical Malfunction
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 18.0°C

008581 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor on Radiator Outlet (G83)
P2185 - 000 - Signal too High
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 11.48 V