AC expansion valve in a B4

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
OK, I've searched and tried to find this, but where, physically, on the car is the expansion valve (capillary valve) on the AC on a 1996 B4? I have a system where the compressor is engaging, definitely has pressure in the lines, and the compressor is working, but produces no cold air nor any temp differential on the high/low tubes under the hood.

From longtime past experience, I am immediately suspicious of a clogged expansion valve.

Problem is, without lighting up the virtual machine so I can load my Windows-98-only Bentley CD, I can't find the thing. Where should I be looking? On my classic Saab 900s, it was under the hood. On my 240 Volvos, it was above the passenger's feet in the cabin.

Suggestions for hunting it down would be welcome. Yes, I have the 134a fittings and a lab-grade vacuum pump. Just need to find the spritz valve.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
The high and low side ports are on the lines, near where the duck under the cowling, heading towards the right side firewall. There, just before the lines pass thru the firewall is a black plastic rectangle. The black plastic rectangle is an insulation cover for the TXV.

Tony

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Sounds like the control valve in the compressor. Need to put some gauges on it.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Bad control valve can cause little or no pressure increase by the pump.

A plugged expansion valve will cause the high side to be too high and the low to be too low.

So, you need gauges to diagnose.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
If you're in the system, go ahead and replace the compressor,exp valve and dryer. It will cost you a little more for the dryer and valve. If I recall, they're under 100 bucks-the compressor is the only big ticket but in the long run,if you plan on keeping it,money well spent. Make sure you replace all the orings too. They come with the components. I don't recommend trying to isolate one component because you're wasting expensive freon to fill and check. The old dryer is probably full of crud anyhow. When you do get the components on,make sure you vacuum the system down prior to filling. Of course you need gages and a vacuum pump to do all this. You'll have to partially remove the plastic inner fender on the right side to access.

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
Thanks

I appreciate your input , freon is $8 a can at big lot for whatever it is worth. I'll try once to evacuate and re-fill , if no result i'll do the wholesale swap.

Thanks again for the help
update: no need for re fill , the compressor imploded , i'll go for the package .
any good ideas for the flushing process??

Last edited:

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
Cheapest parts first

so how can one tell the difference between a bad txV and control valve problems??
I tend to look at the cheapest part that's easiest to replace first. Then again, a set of gauges would be a useful thing to have around.

Thanks for the input, everybody on the location of the valve, I'll slurp the system down and see if it's plugged.

At this point, even a little cold would be extremely helpful. I have another compressor I can swap in, but it's a PITA usually.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I appreciate your input , freon is $8 a can at big lot for whatever it is worth. I'll try once to evacuate and re-fill , if no result i'll do the wholesale swap.

update: no need for re fill , the compressor imploded , i'll go for the package .
For how many ounces? The B4's capacity is about 41-41.5 oz iirc...

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Spec on my core support sticker: 1150grams +/- 50grams

Tony

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.

I didn't flush mine. Normally if you're replacing the whole lot, it's not necessary. A new dryer will catch any particles trapped and they are usually trapped in the old dryer and compressor too. That's why the compressor mfrs won't warrant a new compressor without replacing the dryer too.