What Is a good school for VW or Diesel Cars/Trucks

1985Wolfberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
My daughter is getting out of an abusive marrage. She's looking into going to school to learn and be certified to work on Diesel's ( VW prerffered ). It would help her out to know the good schools for VW's. She's thinking in the mid-west area ( Montana ). She has a decent background and very motivated. She talked to a BMW dealer and they told her there's a demand. But one big problem she would face would be due to them telling her she's a woman. I said what.... I don't care what person you are, if you know what you are doing, and do a great job, that has no bearing on me. She's dreaming of opening her own shop one day. Dad said take it one day at a time:) We also need to look into a good basic tool set she would need, then build on that as time goes by.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I'll ask my friend who is a VW master tech tomorrow.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
But one big problem she would face would be due to them telling her she's a woman. I said what.... I don't care what person you are, if you know what you are doing, and do a great job, that has no bearing on me. She's dreaming of opening her own shop one day. Dad said take it one day at a time:)
We had a woman at a Ford dealer I used to work at. She was well respected for her skills, as she was the top dog when it came to ecu/ tune up issues. We all treated her like one of the guys. I think your daughter will be fine as long as she doesn't do anything woman-like. No makeup, Hair short or in a ponytail, and loose clothing.

ChubsAuto

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2005 TDI Passat, 2003 Jetta Sedan
I graduated from UTI in 2003, it is a very good school and they have a good diesel program that Im sure has improved with the popularity of diesel. They also offer "manufacture programs" were car companies have teamed up with the school to offer specialized training after you graduate, and they do have a VW/Audi program. If you look on there website you can get a full list of the programs that are offered and were they are offered. They have lots of different locations around the country, I attended UTI in Chicago its a nice campus and is in a nice area. There were half a dozen women or so at the school when I was there and like others have said they were treated just like another one of the guys for the most part. Its not a cheap school but you will lean allot. They start out with the basics like what tools are and how they are used and then go threw every system on the car, you spend half the time in the class room and half the time out in the shop actually working on cars.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
I do not think that VW has an equivalent program to the BMW STEP program. For this sort of advice I would ask veteran wrenches such as oilhammer, hevester and Ski in NC about good automotive or heavy duty diesel mechanic schools.
The best deal is to find a strong diesel program at a public technical or community college as the cost is much less. If they have a coop program so much the better. In my opinion UTI charges too much money to justify going there. Also the local master techs in my area give UTI little regard, thinking it is an expensive babysitting service.

1985Wolfberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Guy's thanks for the info. Keep it coming and I'll forward it to her. As stated she has a good start in auto repair. And Dad will give his input when needed. I grew up around Diesels. Big Trucks, Dodge and VW's. I told her she would need an ASE certificate now days. Not many will hire you without one. I'm making up a basic tool list for her. I told her I can carry most of the tools I use with both hands. And I have a few diag tools. You don't need a $20,000 set right off. I've seen guys with set's higher than that. Think it turns into a collection thing;). Beside I have a background in machine work. When the need arises I'll show her how to use a lathe, mill and welding. Comes in handy for making those "special" tools.:p

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Hey, I started a thread on this subject and got lots of interesting responses and recommendations. You might want to read through it to take a look:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=277736

I came to the conclusion (with help from the club) that becoming a mechanic isn't terribly difficult, and does not necessarily require school, (though it's helpful). Instead of spending my money on a mechanic's school, I've read this site every day. I search and read through old threads looking for solutions to problems people are posting, occasionally I have been able to help out.

I offered to do TDI timing belt changes for free several times this year... EVERY time helped me learn something new and different about the job. It was a gift that so many brave souls were willing to let me work on and learn from their cars. This is the kind of education I felt I needed. It was also a lot more fun to pay a fraction of what a school cost for my "education"- with road trips, meeting neat people on the site, and getting to actually see a useful result from my practice work- people's engines were examined and serviced! I imagine that in a school environment they might be taking apart the same engine over and over again.

Now I'm starting my own small TDI shop and going back to school.. thanks to my family, friends, and to the tdiclub.. for knowledge and encouragement. :)

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
thats cool manual. all they teach at these schools can be done yourself through books and the rest is experience. I know 3 UTI Grads that got mechanic jobs and ended up working in completely different fields. They all seem to agree it was an expensive mistake but they did take a lot of knowledge out of there and it looks good on their resume.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Don't ever, ever run up a huge bill at the snap-on truck either. You can easily find tool bargains of mechanics getting out of the business and selling their equipment for pennies on the dollar.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Don't ever, ever run up a huge bill at the snap-on truck either. You can easily find tool bargains of mechanics getting out of the business and selling their equipment for pennies on the dollar.
Ebay, Craigslist, and we have a Wyotech here and I know they give the kids serious discounts. Sears has some brand name air tools and stuff. Their sockets are handy because you can always go get it replcaed when you want to rather than waiting a few weeks for the truck to show up again. Snapon has been getting worse and worse about broken tools - especially ratchets. I've switched to Gearwrench roto-ratchets and S-K or K-D - I'd have to look at my local independent tool store.

Some nice ratchets off Ebay and VW specific tools there, Metalnerd, Dealer. General sockets, impacts, from Ebay or Sears is what my mix is now. I have Snapon, Matco, MAC, Gearwrench (ratchets and their "usual" wrenches), and Sears.

At one time I tried pawn shops but they seemed to mostly have construction tools folks had stolen. Perhaps at one in a crappy neighborhood in a large city may have a better selection. Assuming you are well armed and disable your car so it isn't stolen while you're shopping.

Tool truck accounts are like the credit cards they use to "push" on the kids in college. An excellent way to get them into a deep hole. Not a way to improve their life, but they don't know that yet.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to build the toolbox. And speaking of - toolboxes are an excellent example of what NOT to buy off the truck.

1985Wolfberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Wow you guys rock... Total brain fart in regards to a community college degree. As to "buy" a TDI, I'm in agreement with that. I feel that's one way to learn. I'll recommend that she look into a good 2yr AA degree. She told me she filed for a grant and should be coming thru. I got an estimate from some people in regards to UTI costs. Wow again.. big buck. Before she dumps loads of cash into some "school". She and I would like to see if she can hookup an aprentance program also. She's smart.. And I do belive in word of mouth.

1985Wolfberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Great leads, the MSUN looks good. Small town and campus. And they showed women taking the class. Employment looks great. I used to remember when I had companies shoveing cards at me...