N-75 VCDS specs

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
2000 Jetta. 274K miles. ALH.
Group 011, Engine. My N-75 reading at idle reads 24.7 %, when I hover on this number, the note says 45%-96% is expected.
Is this at idle or at the load which for this group's other values is 2900-3100 rpm?
(AT 2700, it only goes to around 57%...I think I've got a bad N-75 but would like to hear from someone who has more experience with this.)
No codes are set, BTW, but sometimes it feels like the turbo is not engaging when it ought. Oh, and it's a new manifold/turbo - replaced about 12K miles back.
I searched various sections of the forum for actual numbers on this, and read the ROSS manual, but so far, no hints on the answer.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
VCDS shows what the ECU is requesting, not what the N75 is actually doing. 24.7% would essentially be fully open, I think that's about the bottom of the duty cycle floor.

What other symptoms do you have that lead you to thinking your N75 is bad?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
us with the mk3 motors have similar problems. id say check all those vacuum lines, we have 1 small one inside the ecm as well. we have something like 10-12.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Replaced vac lines around N-75. Have 29+ inches vacuum at idle. (I have stuff like that...vacuum gauge, etc)
Replaced fuel filter. No leaks.
Ran errands Aug 2, Ok until about 12 miles usage, then it went really rough and lots of white smoke. Got to grocery store and went in to shop about 20 mintues. When I started the car agian, it was like nothing happened and I drove home with no events.
Thios is what happened the first time it did this...started off from home and after leaving the drive it ran so rough it stalled (probably since it was going UP-hill) so I rolled back into the yard and took another car.

NO CODES...

Natch, I do not have the VCDS with me when this happens...and when I get home, "NOTHING". I'm now going to run the engine and check GP 13 and 22 and see if ANYTHING shows, but I think it will have to misbehave before I get meaningful info.

I believe something MECHANICAL is the problem maybe a faulty EGR or injector, but the injectors were rebuilt about 20K miles ago and the pump less than 15K miles (by the folks in Oregon) so that is unlikely.

It acts like its not getting air. Oh, Boost hits over 1300 as I approach 2800 but then I have to slow down...STOP sign.

Other family members are on Craigslist shopping as I write this.

We've got older TDIs and they are just fine, also a 2005 Passat TDI with a manual shift...but the front seats are not as comfortable as those in the Jetta.

Last edited:

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Ran VCDS on the 2000 Jetta yesterday evening for about an hour.
Group 22 is non-functional for this engine, BTW.

Group 13 gave me data:
(1) -0.42, (2) 0,02, (3) 0.96, (4) -0.56 at first.

After about 8 minutes and engine temp was higher, I got these on Gp.13:
(1) 0.02, (2) 0.07, (3) 0.09, (4) -0.19 The outside air was about 88F.

While engine running this time I ran the "auto-scan" of all functional groups and once again got a "No Faults found" report.

Someone in another thread mentioned a temperature-related issue with the Mark4 ECM and it required a "reflash" of the ECM to correct. I'm not really sure what that means or who can do it. I have current VCDS but haven't tried to do any fancy stuff, just diagnostics.

Any discussion on this...? And does the ECM temperature-issue happen occasionally or constantly, once it starts?