Malone Tuning - Stage 0.5 Tune for 2015 Golf/Jetta/Passat

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Just over 1500 miles on my 2015 GSW. I could not find a three pedal model, so ended up with paddle shifters and a car with a mind of its own. The paddle shifters eem to suggest a shift. Doesn't always comply. Still a comfortable car.

I can live with the DSG, IF I CAN INCREASE THE FE!! Three tanks and not close to 40mpg. I am mostly concerned with FE. I'd like to get 40 city, and 45+ highway like I did in my 2014 JSW.

What tune(s), from which vendors, are best for better FE on the EA288?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What tune(s), from which vendors, are best for better FE on the EA288?
I doubt there are enough tuned cars out there with enough miles on them to judge. I'm getting about 43 with Rocketchip, but my car's a manual and it has less than 2000 miles on it. My co-worker is getting about 46 with his Jetta sedan with a DSG, and he has over 7000 miles on his car. However, FE is about the same post as pre-tune. So I'm not certain you'd see an improvement.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I doubt there are enough tuned cars out there with enough miles on them to judge. I'm getting about 43 with Rocketchip, but my car's a manual and it has less than 2000 miles on it. My co-worker is getting about 46 with his Jetta sedan with a DSG, and he has over 7000 miles on his car. However, FE is about the same post as pre-tune. So I'm not certain you'd see an improvement.
Malone tune is North of $600 for my car. Yikes! Not sure what Jeff will charge for the Rocketship tune. And you mentioned the DSG tune recently), which is presumably more $ :eek: Maybe I can keep working the paddles for now...
I can send the ECU, since I can drive the ALH wagon while it's pulled.

Others with GSW DSG here are talking about FE in the 40s. But at 35mpg (fuelly in signature), it feels like something is just wrong. I blame the "fix", which is supposed to delay injection to reduce NOx generation. I don't think 15x more urea usage has an affect on FE, but delaying the fuel injection definitely reduces efficiency. Definitely..!

But a tune may override whatever curves are causing such dismal FE (late injection). Does the tune advance injection timing to an optimum for power/FE? That is what I want (mostly for the FE). If advanced injection timing increases power output, I can lift my foot just a little, and it will result in better FE, right??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure about delayed injection, although I know advancing timing increases NOx. Keep in mind that neither me nor my colleague are seeing much of an FE change pre-and post-tune. So I don't think a tune will necessarily address your concern. Perhaps you should start with a DSG tune and go from there.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Regarding mk6 vs fixed mk7 mpg. I traded in my 2010 golf 6m and Got a new fixed 2015 golf 6m . So basically identical car. My wife does most the driving and the hand calculated mpg is about 5-10 percent better with the 2015. In fact the 2015 does close too if not the exact same as my 2010 when it was fully deleted off-road only stage 2 tune. Give the 2015 some time to break in. You may take a couple mpg hit with the dsg vs manual but I would think it would still be around your old mk6. Are tou sure you not driving at higher speeds? The mk7 is much quieter at speed so its easy to go faster. If no emissions components are modified or shut off i don't think a tune will help much.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Regarding mk6 vs fixed mk7 mpg. I traded in my 2010 golf 6m and Got a new fixed 2015 golf 6m . So basically identical car. My wife does most the driving and the hand calculated mpg is about 5-10 percent better with the 2015. In fact the 2015 does close too if not the exact same as my 2010 when it was fully deleted off-road only stage 2 tune. Give the 2015 some time to break in. You may take a couple mpg hit with the dsg vs manual but I would think it would still be around your old mk6. Are tou sure you not driving at higher speeds? The mk7 is much quieter at speed so its easy to go faster. If no emissions components are modified or shut off i don't think a tune will help much.
I don't know what to think right now. I should accumulate mileage before making any judgments. I need to do some road trips too. With less than 2000 miles on it, it can only get better.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
my 2015 GSW DSG has averaged just under 44mpg in the 7k miles I have put on it since April.. My normal commute is 27 miles one way of mostly freeway. The car does a regen 2x per tankful. one within 100 miles of refill, and one after around 300 miles on the tank. I even have the Hot country mod set for my AC system.

I usually refill at around 520miles on the trip meter. or once weekly.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I also drive 54 miles round trip daily @80 mph for 48 miles of it. '15 Golf w/DSG tranny. The car had 500 miles on it when I bought it and the graphic indicated about 25 mpg since new. I am averaging low to mid 40's and my average since new is creeping up also towards 40 mpg with a little over 2k miles now. I imagine if I went 65 mph on my commute I would squeeze at least high 40's to around 50 mpg as a guess.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I also drive 54 miles round trip daily @80 mph for 48 miles of it. '15 Golf w/DSG tranny. The car had 500 miles on it when I bought it and the graphic indicated about 25 mpg since new.

I am averaging low to mid 40's and my average since new is creeping up also towards 40 mpg with a little over 2k miles now.

I imagine if I went 65 mph on my commute I would squeeze at least high 40's to around 50 mpg as a guess.
IMO

You'll hit 50+ MPG at 65 MPH ~~ in a heart beat.