Suzuki Samurai

tdi50mpgnoob

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
I have a 1987 Samurai that I would like to give better life to with a VW TDI swap. What engine and kit are best for this? Where does one get a TDI engine from (junk sources here do not seem to exist). Thanks!

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Acme adapter kit. AHU TDI used from a member here, plenty of them being parted out. Enough said.

tdi50mpgnoob

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Is the AHU a 1.6 or 1.9L? Is it turbo charged? I am hoping to find an already together solution for my Samurai. By the way, no original body left, it has a tubular roll cage frame and is used as an ATV.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
There is no such thing as a 1.6 tdi in the US, nor is there a non turbo tdi in the US, TDI literally means, turbo direct injection. I'm thinking you are thinking of an older IDI motor, that uses no computer, maybe. Maybe I'm wrong. However, it is a much more logical choice if it is a strictly offroad truck, and sees a lot of mud, and water. I saw a guy that was selling a 1.9 idi turbo diesel motor, entire adapter kit for $1500. I'm trying to find his ad now.

tdi50mpgnoob

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
I am sorry, I should know better! That IDI does look nice, but I am fine with a computer setup. That appears to be in Michigan ... hoping for one closer to me here in Maine.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotcha. Then your best bet will be with an ahu. It will work with all the engine mounts and stuff supplied in the kit, and is the most simple to wire.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
1z will work too, it's almost identical. 96-97 passats had a 1z, and 97-98 jettas have 1z or ahu.

cepdave

TDI
14 Jetta, Samurai TDI Conversion in process
Acme adapter kit. AHU TDI used from a member here, plenty of them being parted out. Enough said.
I second this. I have just finished installing a TDI using the Acme kit, it was really quite simple. I'm working on the wiring harness now and hope to get it started by the end of the week. I purchased a low mileage 1.9 AHU for $1,200.

There are plenty of TDI motors and donor cars on CL.
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4789729134.html
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4766418380.html

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
There's a company called rocky road off-road they have a full adapter kit for a IDI, it comes with an adapter plate, wiring harness, hardware, accessory bracket, and installation instructions for $900. So all you have to do is find the diesel for cheap.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
There's a company called rocky road off-road they have a full adapter kit for a IDI, it comes with an adapter plate, wiring harness, hardware, accessory bracket, and installation instructions for $900. So all you have to do is find the diesel for cheap.
Rocky road sucks, their adapter plate is garbage, their motor mounts look like they were welded by a high schooler who has never welded before, the holes are out of round, and their customer service blows. If they knew what they were doing, they would know well that the their kit will work with just about any 4 cylinder diesel, from 77-98, whether it's a tdi, idi, or even a gasser motor. I have seen their stuff in person, and was not impressed. A guy I know that bought the kit ended up buying from acme anyways. Do a quick google search on "Rocky Road Outfitters reviews" and you will see. Just trying to help anybody out, ACME is far more superior with actual experience and he is willing to help as much as he can

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a Rocky Road hasn't changed much in the last 15 years since I dealt with them for my Zuk.
Nope, I cannot figure out how they stay afloat. Any suzuki guy that has gotten screwed by them tends to spread the word too, so that's why I wonder how they stay in business.