Rotella T6 Full Syn $17.99 US Gallon @ O'Reilly

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
Bought two jugs for yesterday's oil change. $17.99 each. This is the newer T6 formulation (CJ4), full synthetic. Believe its a Grp III base stock "synthetic" but I don't care, couldn't find M1 TDT that cheap so I'm trying out the T6. Picked up a Wix 57210 cartidge filter to use this time instead of the OE dealer filter since I'm pressed for time and needed to get the change done yesterday (dealer closed).

I think the sale on T6 at O'Reilly Auto Parts (USA) goes until the end of April.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
An outstanding Group III+ oil that's on-par or better than TDT.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've been using Purolater Oil filters going on 10 years and 284k miles. Yes, the Rotella T6 is an excellent choice!

Thanks for the heads up!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

I'm stocking up! I just picked up 6 gallons. The store I stopped at had it labled on the shelf for $24.99 per gallon, but when I asked about the sale price the girl behind the counter checked the sale flyer and said I was right about the $17.99 per gallon sale price. Never hurts to ask, right?

SootFoot:

Thanks for the info about the RotellaT6 being on sale!

Andybees:

I have been using STP filters. I have had good luck finding the reboxed German Hengst filters.

Dan

Last edited:

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
Damn I wish I would have looked here yesturday. I picked up 5 qts at walmart for 21 bucks. I also got a boshe filter.

jake8842

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS 5spd
No o'reillys up in my neck of the woods :(. Ive been buying my T6 at walmart. I think it usually is $19.95. Only thing that sucks is the walmart 5 miles from here doesnt carry it. The walmart 35 miles away does though.

vudo

TDI
2001 Jetta & 2002 Bug TDI
Damn I wish I would have looked here yesturday. I picked up 5 qts at walmart for 21 bucks. I also got a boshe filter.
That came out to $16.80/gal, better than the sales price at O'Reiley!

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
i miss understood my wife when she told me. she was the one who got the oil. that shell oil is good stuff! just got finished doing my change and the car seems to run better and is quieter. it was 26 and change.

Aaron Steinblock

TDI
2006 Jetta
Just got Mine!!!!

Just got mine picked up! Bought all they had in the store (8 gal) and then they ordered 16 more for me.

Should keep me going for a while!

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
auto zone has power service. the 40gal of treatment bottle was like 7 bucks. i dont know if thats a fair price cause its the only place i can find around here local that sells the stuff.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
So this stuff is good for PD engines instead of using VW505.01 rated oil the Shell T6 is good?

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
the shell meets the other standard that vw requires. i cant rember the numbers. but its posted in on a sticky "what oil do i use" or something like that. im not shure about the PD engines, but its good stuff for the VE motors

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
GD:

Not to pick too many nits, but T6 is not 505.01 compliant. It is not specifically labled to meet the VW 505 spec either but does meet (and exceed) the API CG4 spec which is fine for use in ALH engines. Many people who are out of warranty are running M1-TDT and T6 in their PD cars with good results. I am running the T6 in my ALH engined A4 and have chosen Valvoline Syn-Power 5-40 to run in my A5 PD engined car. The Valvoline is a 505.01 labled oil. However, since I'm well out of warranty I could run a non 505.01 oil if I wanted because the repairs are on my dime if there are problems.

Dan

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Thanks guys, I have been running Total and Fuchs VW505.01 approved but was contemplating trying Rotella T6. Warranty finished a long time ago.

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
The specs for synpower 5W40 on this page

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/5

don't mention VW 505.01 for any of the listed grades.

GD:

Not to pick too many nits, but T6 is not 505.01 compliant. It is not specifically labled to meet the VW 505 spec either but does meet (and exceed) the API CG4 spec which is fine for use in ALH engines. Many people who are out of warranty are running M1-TDT and T6 in their PD cars with good results. I am running the T6 in my ALH engined A4 and have chosen Valvoline Syn-Power 5-40 to run in my A5 PD engined car. The Valvoline is a 505.01 labled oil. However, since I'm well out of warranty I could run a non 505.01 oil if I wanted because the repairs are on my dime if there are problems.

Dan

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I got those babies on sale a few months ago for $2.50 per quart!...........bought a case!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Bob:

Thanks for posting the Valvoline Spec. sheet. I was going to look that up, but you already posted the link. BTW, the bottles also are labled that they comply with the VW 505.01 spec.

Dan

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rotella

How old are those bottles?! What specs?

Bob, that oil is about two years old as I recall. It come from a mom & pop parts place in a nearby county. It meets the specs for my 2000 ALH.

I purchase the gallon jugs at Walmart and top off with the quart bottles.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Bob, that oil is about two years old as I recall. It come from a mom & pop parts place in a nearby county. It meets the specs for my 2000 ALH.

I purchase the gallon jugs at Walmart and top off with the quart bottles.
CI-4+ or CJ-4? That style bottle looks pre-2007 if my memory is right.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
Volks:

Earlier today I stopped in an O'Reilly store to ask for directions and after finding out where I needed to go, I asked if the 5-40 Rotella T6 was still on sale for $17.99 per gallon. The manager said the sale ended in April, but offered to honor the sale price if I wanted to buy any. So I picked up 2 more gallons at $17.99 each. I guess sometimes it pays to stop and ask directions when you don't know where you're going.

Dan

hearts34

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Beetle
T6 is no longer on sale, but my O'Reilly's has Mobil 1 TDT for 19.99 a gallon right now.
O'reilly's had this same oil on sale in March. I bought three oil changes and did the first at 170K.
I am now at 173K, so far, so good. I was actually expecting a decrease in mileage, but it is 2mpg better!
I was told somewhere after 150K, the PD engines would do better on mileage. Maybe this is starting to happen for mine?