Oil leaking from top of filter housing

greenearth808

TDI
02 Jetta
Hello, I've been a lurker from time to time and this site has been so helpful for me. I tried to search my issue but nothing came up, so I decided to post.

Car: 2002 Jetta

The top o-ring where the cap screws into the housing keeps popping out and spewing oil when running. It pops the o-ring out and starts spilling out just a few seconds after I start the car, and it doesn't stop until I turn off the car or it gets low on oil. I've tried putting it on looser and tighter and that didn't help. I tried a new o-ring and that didn't help. I pulled out the filter and noticed the small o-ring on the bottom of the plastic piece slipped off from where it should be. I can't figure it out. It says to tighten to 25 nm, is it that crucial that its exactly 25 nm? If so what's the tool i need to torque it right. HELP PLEASE....THERE IS NO VW DEALER HERE ON THE ISLAND

THANKS.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Look at the cap.About 1/8 inch below the top of the cap, above the threads, there is a grove that the o-ring is suppose to fit into. You probably have the o-ring above the groove.

The o-ring does not seal to the top of the canister, It seals to the inside wall of the canister. As the cap is tightened down, the oil ring is pulled into the inside of the canister and the lip on the cap will be flush with top of the canister with no O-ring visible.

Don't reuse your damaged o-ring(s), get new ones. If the big and little o-rings are installed correctly you should be able to tighten the cap down by hand till it is snug to the top of the canister. At this point it will be leak free, but you have a final step.

After that 1/32nd to 1/16th turn more with a wrench will be tight enough so that the cap will not loosen over time from normal engine vibration.

Last edited:

greenearth808

TDI
02 Jetta
Ol'Rattler said:
Look at the cap.About 1/8 inch below the top of the cap, above the threads, there is a grove that the o-ring is suppose to fit into. You probably have the o-ring above the groove.
The o-ring does not seal to the top of the canister, It seals to the inside wall of the canister. As the cap is tightened down, the oil ring is pulled into the inside of the canister and the lip on the cap will be flush with top of the canister with no O-ring visible.
Don't reuse your damaged o-ring(s), get new ones. If the big and little o-rings are installed correctly you should be able to tighten the cap down by hand till it is snug to the top of the canister. At this point it will be leak free, but you have a final step.
After that 1/32nd to 1/16th turn more with a wrench will be tight enough so that the cap will not loosen over time from normal engine vibration.
I'm fairly certain I was putting the oring on wrong. The o ring was visable after putting the cap on. Can't wait to get home to see if this is the problem.