FS: 2003 Golf TDI

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I have owned this vehicle for about 3 years now. Here is a quick rundown of things that have happened/been replaced since I took ownership. It needed a fair amount of work when I got it and unfortunately, 3 months in to ownership, the vehicle had lifter failure. At that time I replaced:
- The cylinder head with a Kolbenschmidt unit from Frank06
- The timing belt kit and head bolts from (then Bora Parts) Cascade German
- An OEM VW rear timing cover (it was broken), engine mount
bracket (it stripped when I was reassembling everything), and coolant flange
- A hot-tanked intake manifold I picked up off of a vendor on Ebay
- All the vacuum lines, the N75 valve, and glow plugs from ID Parts
Other parts I have replaced in my time of ownership:
- All the typical maintenance fluids and filters at proper intervals
- Lemforder lower control arms, tie-rod ends, and ball joints
- OEM VW sway bar bushings and brackets
- OEM VW sunroof drain hoses
- OEM VW driver front door lock actuator
- OEM VW vacuum pump to brake booster hose
- Freemax rear rotors and TRW brake pads
- Two additional keys (1 with remote and 1 without)
- Febi driver side cooling fan
- Aftermarket battery from Autozone; I know, but I was in a tight spot:eek:
Now on to the bad parts. This vehicle is an autotragic and it is starting to give up the ghost. I asked the previous owner if the transmission had ever been serviced and they said not to their knowledge. When I did the change the fluid and filter the first time, it didn't look as bad as I had anticipated. This last year I noticed slipping issues in third. I picked up a "rebuilt" OEM valve body and installed that to see if that would help. Unfortunately the car was undriveable with the "rebuilt" valve body so I reinstalled the original. Whether I missed some steps, got scammed on the valve body, or the transmission is just too far gone, I am unsure. This also isn't the prettiest MkIV Golf to look at. There is a fair amount of paint chipping and peeling on the front of the vehicle.
It's not perfect but is a solid driving vehicle minus the transmission issue. In fact I feel it drives better than it's replacement. I was considering doing a 5-speed swap but managed to pick up the 02 for not much more than that would have cost me. Well that's enough rambling. $1800 OBO Located in Savannah, GA.
Let me know if you want any other pictures or have any other questions. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That’s a nice clean car that’s in good shape. It is to bad it has an 01m, but it’s the perfect candidate for a 5 spd swap I see no rust.

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
Nice looking Golf and nice job with your ad.
-Jason

WaltKlatt

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 2004 Beetle TDI, 1967 Mercedes 230SL diesel
Looks just like mine, with 226K miles and 5 spd.
Same colors and felt fabric seats.
I have a question... where did you get the nice black stickers that go between the front and rear door windows?
My passenger door frame was messed up with a hammer from a thief, and want to cover it up.
Thanks and good luck with your sale.
Walter

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
No idea Walter. They were on the car when I purchased it. The one on the passenger rear door started peeling not long after I got the car so I pulled it off. From what I remember it's just some automotive vinyl.

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
New price drop. $1800

The Golf has been sitting under my mom's car port since November when I made this post. I was over at her house changing the fuel filter in the blue Golf and I needed some miscellaneous items so I was going to see about driving the white one to the parts store. The battery acted like it was dead when I tried to start it. When I grabbed my jump-box and went to hook it up, I noticed the positive battery terminal was loose. Of course when I went to tighten it down the bolt snapped off. So now the car is currently unable to be driven until I can get a replacement cable. On a good note, it started at the first turn of the key with the jump-box connected to it. I have some major repairs lined up for the blue Golf so once I fix the battery cable on the white Golf I will return to driving it on a daily basis and the mileage will thus increase.

Last edited:

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I have been driving this since I fixed the battery terminal issue; still shifts funky, still showing no transmission faults. This will probably be my last bump of this thread. To be honest I've grown attached to this car and it's quite convenient to have another to drive when one car needs to come off the road for some work.

CrashedGolf

TDI
Mk4 golf 5 speed
I have been driving this since I fixed the battery terminal issue; still shifts funky, still showing no transmission faults. This will probably be my last bump of this thread. To be honest I've grown attached to this car and it's quite convenient to have another to drive when one car needs to come off the road for some work.

Do you still have it? I’m in ga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk