FS: 2005 VW Passat Wagon 170k [MA/NY]

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 03 2dr 5sp 357,xxx; Current: B5.5V 116,xxx
Hello,

I am selling my reflex silver 2005 wagon with 170k miles (daily driver, though that means every weekend -- if that -- now that I'm back in NYC). Pictures here.

History
I purchased it with 115k in the summer of 2014 from another club member, and he purchased it first hand from Evergreen in WA (though he had it garaged in CT). I have used it over the years to travel the triangle between NYC, Catskills, and W. Mass. It is my second tdi and third consecutive diesel and has been mostly garage kept.

Maintenance
Extensive maintenance records available. Both the camshaft and the BSM delete have been performed by trusted club mechanics (Mike Hevner in NJ and Mike McCann in MA). The transmission fluid has been changed at the 80 (first sale), 100 (preemptive), and 150 (preemptive) mile markers. Oil & filter every 10k and fuel filters every 20k. Would have swapped it to a 5sp but the automatic transmission worked just fine for my needs. As with other club members, I was/am getting low 40's when hypermiling or high 30's on average. Very clean car, inside and out. It has minor scratches and imperfections and small dings and dents but no rust.

Extras
  • winter package
  • heavy duty panzer plate
  • Malone 1 tune w/ module
  • The dash cluster includes an Alpine GPS navigation system with bluetooth radio and backup camera
    (you can also tap into the feed when not in reverse to see who's tailing you, Bond)
  • The bulbs have been changed to LEDs all around
  • 2" hitch installed by a pro welding & plow installation shop
  • 4 newer Blizzaks (2 this November, 2 last January) on 16", 4 summers on 17"
  • a Thule 2-bike rack (pivots away from car to allow rear hatch access)
  • set of 8 custom fit heatsheild window shades (keeps interior dark, good for long-term airport parking or covert camping)
  • set of 4 weathertech floor mats, new/sealed

Contacting me & Setting up a showing
If there's any interest or questions I'm available through here, skoullias [at] gmail [dot] com, and at 718 704 4734. The car is garaged in the Rockaways (Queens, NYC). Possibility of me driving it to almost any destination in the lower 48 post-sale as long you you cover my mileage and return flight home.

$6,500 for extra rims and tires, new weathertech mats, heatshields, and Thule rack

$5,500 without

Any questions or glaring omissions? Please feel free to ask or chime in.

Last edited:

babydoll

TDI
01 jetta 5 spd 01 golf 5 spd cruze diesel 9 spd auto 17
what type transmission fluid did you use ? thanks

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
for the two most recent transmission fluid services which were done by Mike McCann (one before i bought it, one after), whatever he uses. not sure about the fluid brand, but I'm pretty sure whatever he used is what's recommended. i can ask if you're super curious.

trekkar

Veteran Member
TDI
05 bug,02 golf
Nice pics, camshaft and BSM delete is that a 1 time deal or needed again at some point? Do you know the ballpark cost to replace the tranny if needed in the future?

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
The camshaft is a hardened replacement of the OEM version, should last the duration of the vehicle's life. The BSM delete is a one time deal. Replacing the transmission varies depending on where you take it, what transmission you're getting, and if the transmission is new, used, or refurbished. I have gotten a quote to swap to manual 5 speed for ~$4.5k. Mike McCann has done a few of these swaps. If any distant buyers want the conversion done, I can take it there.

Last edited:

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Added photos of the underbody on the lift to the dropbox folder, as well as the engine without the cover on it. The car was at Mike McCann's this morning for an oil change and general checkup.

Last edited:

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here. How much are you asking for the car?
We all know what these go for on this forum, more or less. What you're willing to offer and what I'm willing to accept isn't going to vary much from those numbers. Take into account any of the add-ons and potentially subtract any of the items that can be easily removed from the vehicle.

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan, 05 Passat sedan
It is a shame the market has fallen off for these B5.5s. There were known issues that could be corrected and improved, but as the car is older now, it is tougher to swallow the cost of a transmission, torque converter, transmission service, or conversion, even with the balance shaft upgrade or camshaft/ bearing upgrade having been done. So I would not worry too much about the center caps ($15 bucks on ebay for four), but would worry about the overall condition, the 30ish+ mpgs and the local price of diesel in the cost matrix. PA has 50 cent surcharge on diesel I think for instance.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It is a shame the market has fallen off for these B5.5s. There were known issues that could be corrected and improved, but as the car is older now, it is tougher to swallow the cost of a transmission, torque converter, transmission service, or conversion, even with the balance shaft upgrade or camshaft/ bearing upgrade having been done. So I would not worry too much about the center caps ($15 bucks on ebay for four), but would worry about the overall condition, the 30ish+ mpgs and the local price of diesel in the cost matrix. PA has 50 cent surcharge on diesel I think for instance.
My center cap statement was to signify a small issue in light of the overall scheme of these cars. I have owned two B5.5's and replaced transmissions in both, along with a gaggle of CV joint boots, motor mounts, relays, camshafts and two balance shaft geared kits. I can understand why the OP won't post a price as in all reality it is a negative number.

Clroads

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan, 05 Passat sedan
There was a small niche, and it may still exist for these vehicles. The car exemplifies pre-scandal engineering/ mindset in my mind on the part of VW. I saved a couple, but with the negative value, I am money ahead just walking by, as you said. I enjoy some of the mods on these cars, but now too complex/ expensive. There are some out there who have had success and high mileage with their B5.5. I was holding out and going to jump from the alh to the 2009 + before the scandal, due to growing family. There was a small B5.5 market after the scandal, but prices just are terrible, as you said, and considering fuel cost. I would certainly try CL or ebay. Obviously not every family can fit in a MK IV.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There was a small niche, and it may still exist for these vehicles. The car exemplifies pre-scandal engineering/ mindset in my mind on the part of VW. I saved a couple, but with the negative value, I am money ahead just walking by, as you said. I enjoy some of the mods on these cars, but now too complex/ expensive. There are some out there who have had success and high mileage with their B5.5. I was holding out and going to jump from the alh to the 2009 + before the scandal, due to growing family. There was a small B5.5 market after the scandal, but prices just are terrible, as you said, and considering fuel cost. I would certainly try CL or ebay. Obviously not every family can fit in a MK IV.
I have a 2017 Jetta S model 1.4 L TSI 6 speed automatic that I bought new for $14,800 on July 1st. It's pretty roomy, but basic, and after a 4,000 mile trip back east this month, I got 41 MPG on gasoline. It's hard to justify a late model TDI the way the gassers are performing these days. I still have a 2005 MKIV TDI as a second car.

Without the OP posting a price, it's hard to sell his B5.5 and it's against Forum rules to not post a selling price.

skoullias

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, if it's "against the rules"....

I'm asking for $6500 without the sun shields, bike rack, summer wheels/tires, weathertech mats, etc, and an additional $1000 (so, total of $7500) for all of those things. The only add-on I can't remove from the vehicle is the 2" tow hitch (it's bolted and welded on).