Handheld OBD that reads codes & can reset codes?

amishman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Beetle
Is there an under $100 OBD device that can read the error codes but also reset them? I do not want to have to buy a PC Laptop or PC Desktop to just read the codes and to reset them and would prefer a small handheld to do this. I own a Mac so can't use the Vag-Com and do not want to invest in a whole new system just to reset codes. I see these $99 OBD devices all the time at autozone type places but I do not think you can reset a code with these. Is there such a device. Thomas

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
yes...I have one and use it for the simple initial prognosis of the fault and reset once the probelem is fixed or was "intermittent". I may then go deeper with vag-com if necessary.
BTW...there is a "pocket size" version out for $75.00.

amishman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Beetle
What brand and model is it that you are using?

Thomas

yes...I have one and use it for the simple initial prognosis of the fault and reset once the probelem is fixed or was "intermittent". I may then go deeper with vag-com if necessary.
BTW...there is a "pocket size" version out for $75.00.

amishman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Beetle
I notice the Actron brand for example can read and erase generic codes. Are their non generic "VW" specific codes that my TDI will have that this Actron would then not be able to erase?

Tom

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Re: Handheld OBD that reads codes & can reset code

I too have a Mac (IMac G5) but I bought a cheap Tecra Toshiba P1 75mhz laptop for VagCom ($100) and it is an investment for my car. Check out Ebay for And I am thinking of going with Virtual PC as I want a fast computer for my Bentley Factory Service CD that is PC only too and you could run VagCom for Virtual PC.

VagCom in general kicks over every generic reader on the market.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Re: Handheld OBD that reads codes & can reset code

You have an iMac g5???? I thought they weren't coming out until september

Why oh why did I buy a PC

-Jason