2010 Jetta TDI ECU

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I found a used 2010 Jetta TDI ECU near me, from a Cup Edition w/DSG. That is what I have. Can anyone tell me if I can simply unplug my current ECU and plug this used one in, if it will run exactly the same? Or will the new ECU need to be programmed at a VW dealer before it will work properly?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
I'm not sure, but you might get a more informative response by posting in the correct section. Unless this has something to do with the dieselgate scandal......

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'm not sure, but you might get a more informative response by posting in the correct section. Unless this has something to do with the dieselgate scandal......
It does relate to dieselgate, sort of...if I don't like the results from the Gen 1 fix, just wondering if I have a means to go back to original ECU settings. It appears tuners won't be changing emissions programming going forward, and VW sure won't change it back. Just trying to find out if there is another way if the fix turns out poorly for me regarding mileage and performance characteristics.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my answer. I called Ross-Tech. I understand the MY2010 (I think earlier models as well) have an Immobilizer Generation 4 system. Here is Ross-Tech's position on Immobilizer Generation 4 systems:
Many newer cars including all of the Golf/Jetta (1K) Models use Immobilizer 4. There are different varieties of Immobilizer 4 Implementations, some of them don't show a 14-digit Immo-ID anywhere, but rather a "Challenge" Value in Advanced ID. This Challenge changes every Time Terminal 15 (Ignition) is cycled.

As a general rule, VW models using Immo 4A (with Adaptation) may have Serial Numbers that contain VWZ (for Example VWZ7Z0G7051888). VW models using VWX (for Example VWX7Z0G7051888) "or ones without a Serial Number shown at all, do not use Adaptation and will have the revolving "Challenge" Value in Advanced ID. Those systems using a Challenge Value are not considered supported at this time. This means with challenge systems, VCDS cannot perform ANY of the procedures listed below:

So, from Ross-Tech's position (from sales), the VCDS cannot swap ECU's. If tuners won't change "fixed" emissions modifications, then it appears a fixed Gen 1 will not be reversible. Not real happy with this news, but rather know what is true than hope for a way to reverse something that really doesn't exist.