Diesel Motorcycle coming in March - up to 102 MPG

gcarper

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/

With a world class rolling chassis, the proven performance and durability of the M1030M1 Military Motorcycle engine, the spectacular patriotic graphics, and over 102 mpg, the Diesel fueled D650A1Bulldog is a true "triple threat", winner for sport touring, on/off road riding, and everyday commuting. Production is scheduled for March of 2006.  

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The Bulldog, civilian version of the M1030, seems like a well-engineered bike. I'm not sure how great it would be as a commuter vehicle on the highway. But at an estimated 100+ mpg, and the ability to use the carpool lanes, it would definitely be worth a look.

The engine is normally-aspirated, it's got indirect-injection, no reason why it can't last 500k miles or 50 years, whichever comes first.

Compared to the BMW F650GS or F650 Dakar, it's got less power and is less sophisticated. But this is to be expected, the F650 was built to compete in off-road racing, initially.

The F650 GS and the F650 Dakar are priced at about $9000 and $9500, respectively. I think the Bulldog would have to be priced somewhat less than this. Perhaps at about $7500 they would have more orders than they can fill.

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
Whats particularly unusual is the power-band "Peak power of some 50 hp/litre is developed at around 5800 rev/min, with usable power available up to well over 6000 rev/min." As the cylinder size is 600cc or thereabouts, its comparable to car engine cylinder size, yet power is produced at much higher revs. Thought the 38000-4000rpm power peak in cars was due to combustion speed limitations. Perhaps not: just the mapping, I'd guess.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
I emailed HDT and F1 Engineering; they replied that they estimate the price will be about 20% higher than the Kawi KLR650 upon which it is based. Not bad for a diesel bike!

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
No, that's not too bad. I was thinking it would be way overpriced like the military designed H1 hummer was when it came to the consumer market.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I emailed HDT and F1 Engineering; they replied that they estimate the price will be about 20% higher than the Kawi KLR650 upon which it is based. Not bad for a diesel bike!
The Kawasaki website lists the price for the KLR650 as $5199. So about $6250 for the Bulldog, if the 20% figure holds true. That is a pretty good price for a diesel bike that gets over 100 mpg.

I've never owned an offroad or dual-purpose bike. This one has a lot of ground clearance, so I'm not sure if my short legs will make it awkward to ride.

With its 600 mile range, I could conceivably ride cross-country just about anywhere or everywhere. Yet the tires are not so skinny that it would be unstable on the highway.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder how hard it would be to add a turbo kit to this engine?
That would sort of defeat the purpose, I think, the purpose being to travel long distances without using much fuel. Properly maintained, this engine should last just about forever. (Fifty years or 500k miles?) Start modding it for more power, and I don't think it would last so long.

0-60 in ten seconds is VERY slow for a motorcycle, but it's at least two seconds quicker than my Golf. So, not an exciting ride but not intolerably slow either.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
0-60 in ten seconds is VERY slow for a motorcycle, but it's at least two seconds quicker than my Golf. So, not an exciting ride but not intolerably slow either.
At least on a motorcycle with the wind rushing by, it'll feel much quicker.

gcarper

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Next question - will it qualify for the president's new diesel tax incentive of $3400 that goes into effect in January 06?

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
Re: Diesel Motorcycle coming in March - up to 102

Now THAT might give ya sweaty gums...

Wow, that is something. Very interesting site also, thanks for posting that!

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
$18,999.00 HDTUSA Diesel Motorcycle

:eek: PRICE: The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for the D650-A1LE Bulldog will be $18,999.00 (the price is subject to change until the opening of our initial offer to sell and some restrictions may apply.) A non-refundable deposit of 10% of the purchase price will be required to hold your bike.:eek:

Well, the price is SPECTACULAR!

I'm shocked.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Yea that's the type of pricing I was expecting back when this thread started. I thought someone contacted them and found it would be only slightly more (~10 or 15%) than the normal gasser 650. I wonder if that's the pricing for the militarized version?

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
That's the price for the 200-unit Limited Edition, not the production bike:

First, the 2006 Limited Edition D650-A1LE Bulldog
will be very special:

_ It will be the only production run of commercial diesel motorcycles that will use the military engine and limited to only 200 units.

_ The D650-A1LE will have custom graphics by Wally World.

_ It will have special Noleen/F1 rear suspension and custom tuned front suspension.

_ The D650-A1LE will be available with the customer's choice of Dunlop D606 or D607 tires.

_ Gearing will be customized to the rider's preference for on-road, off-road, or adventure touring.

_ The D650-A1LE will have a custom seat cover.

_ The D650-A1LE will have a custom, military style, tool kit, especially equipped for adventure touring.

Second, we plan to offer individualized engine serial numbers. After receipt of your deposit for the 2006 Ltd. D650-A1LE Bulldog, HDTUSA will provide you with a custom, military-style leather Bomber Jacket that includes a special patch with your individualized engine serial number. Additionally, each bike owner receives individualized documentation and a bronze medallion with the individualized engine serial number.

Individualized engine serial numbers will be assigned on a first come, first served basis, with the exception of serial number 00001. We intend to auction off the first production unit with the proceeds going to a Marine Corps charity and the Marine Corps Heritage Museum in Quantico, Virginia.

Owners will be provided with monthly updates as to the progress of the commercial production.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
TornadoRed said:
The Kawasaki website lists the price for the KLR650 as $5199. So about $6250 for the Bulldog, if the 20% figure holds true. That is a pretty good price for a diesel bike that gets over 100 mpg.
the price is $18,999. i just called HDT (Tel: 760.947.3140) and they said this price is due to the many custom parts and the low volume (relative) first run.

it'd take quite awhile to recover the difference between $18999 and $5199 (KLR650).

sorry - i was reading this thread from the beginning and didn't realize this info had already been posted.

Last edited: