Tested Golf Se and GTI back to back

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
The mk7 is more refined in every aspect. Everything is at least one step better than the mk6. Even the mirrors are better shaped. Sunroof shade screen. AC controls. Touchscreen is at least 4 steps better. It's bigger and offers more features. I like the mpg record keeping. Mdi display in center is better. Over all interior is just suburb. I don't think you could find a better interior in any car under 50k. The Golf has nice satin metal trim and the gti was a fake carbon fiber. I thought the golf interior looked better. Gti Autobahn full leather was very nice.

Now for the driving aspect and please note that I had been driving a manual trans 2013 stage 2 for the last 18 months. Both cars I drove were auto/dsg. Both shifted perfect and near zero notice in shift. The auto 1.8t had a slight lag or stumble on a slow acceleration from zero. But the engine wasn't fully warmed up.

The golf 1.8 was fairly quick but it lacked any zoom zoom feeling. Near zero engine rpm feedback. Near zero exhaust or turbo noise feedback. Turbo was very smooth and under full throttle the power band was very smooth. It sure wasn't a torque surge then a taper like the tuned tdi.

The gti had more power and sounded much better. However it was still a little to refined. Both cars would benefit from a better exhaust and I am not a fan of fart can muffler. But the driver needs some feedback.

Steering was very correct and nicely improved over the mk6. Suspension seamed about the same as the mk6 and the gti was just slightly more stiff. Both were nice.

VW dealer didn't have any new tdi.

After that test drive we went to the chevy dealer and drove a Volt. :cool: Different car. The interior is the opposite. From German refinement to GM fighter jet yet still using cheap turn signal stalks. The volt did offer impressive power.