Four issues in a week - related?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I was just wondering if there might be a root cause for the following four issues I just got in rapid succession. I hadn't had a single issue with the car from purchased new through 50K miles until all of this happened:

1. Noticed the battery light flash twice while going aroung a turn one day. Hasn't done it since and no problems starting or dimming headlights at night or anything, so doubt the battery or alternator are bad. Maybe just lost contact during an admittedly sharp turn.

2. Got the flakey turn signal clicking described here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1622429
It went away on its own.

3. Cruise control stopped working. Replaced fuse 5 and no problems since.

4. 12V console outlet stopped working. Replaced fuse 41 and no problems since.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I noticed you have done a few mods to your car. Since it is so new these may be a good place to start looking for loose connections or faulty wiring. I still don't understand what the Hella e codes are.
JB

EuroTrasher

TDI
04 Golf PD
I'd go looking into wiring anywhere you've poked at it. Fuses only blow if there's a short or a SEVERE draw overload. They exist more for the safety of the wiring than anything else. I advise against ScotchLocks (the little tap in connecters that pinch through the wire) Make sure you don't have any bare wire exposed, and for god sakes, NEVER replace a fuse with ANYTHING but what it calls for stock. (used to fix problems like this for a living)

As for the battery light:
More commonly known as a charge light, it serves two functions simultaneously that depend on each other. (This explanation is based off of older, simpler charge lights. Our cars almost certainly control the system through one of the computers, but since it probably still serves as a failsafe, should still be helpful) The most obvious function of the charge light is to tell you when you alternator is not charging. It does this by grounding out when the alternator isnt's charging. The power sent through the charge light also activates the (don't remember which exact component) causing the alternator to charge in the first place. May have been an excessive explanation, but maybe it will come in handy.

Also, Hella E-Codes are Headlights with the European reflector shape (different than US spec). Different beam pattern and pretty much always better visibility, though I can't speak from experience with them on A4 VWs.

Last edited: