99 beetle stuck rpm after timing belt

Z32driver

TDI
99 beetle
Ok so I do lots of car stuff but this was my first diesel. My injection pump started leaking very bad at the rotor. So I got a new timing belt and rebuild kit for the pump. Pump went smooth and everything installed nice, got the timing belt on, check the timing three times after rotating the engine a few times. All dead on. Bled the lines up to the injectors. Bam started right up, but it goes to max rpm. I tried starting it a few times and it did the same thing every time. I never let it stay at rpm I shut it off asap. Before all this the car ran great just sprayed fuel everywhere... Help!!!!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'll take guess maybe the quantity adjuster is out of position.
What parts were done with rebuild?
Note- I've never been inside one of these pumps.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I'll take guess maybe the quantity adjuster is out of position.
What parts were done with rebuild?
Note- I've never been inside one of these pumps.
I'm with Bob in that I've never been inside the IP (and hope to keep it that way) but his "guess" is the same as mine.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Just an FYI, I have 30 years experience in the industry. I do not do pump rebuilds. I send them to DFIS or get re-man VW.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I suspect that when you put the Quantity Adjuster back on the pin didn't engage the hole in the sliding collar. The position of that collar is what determines how much fuel is injected. If it is off one way, there will not be enough fuel and no throttle control. If it is off the other way, you will be stuck at max. The other possibility is that the QA is so far off that it can't control fueling. You did mark its position carefully before removing it, didn't you?

Paul