Leaking Diesel Fuel from Top of Filter

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Has anybody else had this problem? It happened to me once before and I adjusted the position of the filter and that seemed to have helped. It's happened again, only not as bad. Car is a '00 NB.

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
The fuel filter unit has a little o-ring where the control valve meets the unit. Replacement of the o-ring is required with each draining of the unit or replacement of the filter.

Betcha that the o-ring is your culprit. Ask the dealer for some.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
It was a new filter with new o-rings. I had some o-rings and I put them in and I put the filter up higher in the bracket, which seemed to help last time.

S

SkyPup

Nope, have never ever had that problem.

Our 98 NB has a non O-ring Bosch fuel filter, ie t the fuel filter does not have a removable inlet port on top, it is one soild fuel filter and has no chance of leaking unless you forget to tighten the drain on the bottom of it. Adter four changes of the fuel filter every 20,000, still no hassles at all with it.

Our 99 Jetti does have the Bosch O-ring fuel filter, but it still has the original OEM O-ring that came with it even after three 20,000 mile fuel filter changes, I never even bothered to change out the original O-ring after three years since it still works perfect. No leaks, no hassles whatsoever.

How or why does this keep on happening again to you?