Who else is keeping theirs?

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Personally I think this is the ultimate win. Keep the car. Get money. Own what will become a classic. Nothing can replace the mileage, driveability, and room of the Sportwagon. I just feel sorry for the ones that have been talked into getting rid of such a great car because the winds of 'popularity' blew.
Thinking of getting a touching vanity plate. Something like FTHEEPA.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I had planned to keep mine till I took a reality check and realized they are paying me more than the car is worth,and I will never get that price again. I will buy a new one when they become available.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
I would really like to keep mine. I love it. But I'm just about out of warranty and I don't want to take on the risk of major repairs. For me it's easier to take the money and get into a new car with great warranty protection. If I had the free cash flow to keep it and buy something else I certainly would.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I've been planning on keeping mine from the beginning. People are very short sighted. They see a big payday right now and are not thinking long term. When (not if) fuel prices go back up they'll regret taking a few thousand dollars as they're filling up their 25mpg gasser at $5 a gallon. Even if I'm paying the same for a gallon of diesel I'll happily motor by getting 45mpg.

If the fix looks reliable I'll take it and the VW cash which will go straight to savings. If not I'll just keep the car as is and motor on - VW did nothing to me and the car operates just as promised when I drove it off the lot when I bought it. I've already taken care of the DPF issues and on friday will take care of the HPFP issues with a CP3 pump. Obviously this is just my take and what makes sense for me. Every situation is different and you gotta do what's best for you.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
my plan now is to keep, but who knows what life might have in store for me in the 2 years between now and when the buyback is over. If they end up without a fix so the only way to get the "I'm sorry money" is to sell back and no extra warranty on the emission system might have to reconsider since my tailpipe is very sooty. The used delete kits are looking very attractive, but not sure If I can get away with that here.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I had planned to keep mine till I took a reality check and realized they are paying me more than the car is worth,and I will never get that price again. I will buy a new one when they become available.
This is my take, too. I love my car and would love to keep it despite being out of warranty (except for the HPFP) and some expensive maintenance now or soon due (tires will not get me to the winter). But what VW is offering is well above what I can get for it on trade or sell, now or certainly 2 years from now when the settlement offer expires, and it's tempting to do the buyback.

On the keep side, I live in a CARB state, had 23o6 done, and am very unhappy with what that half-hearted attempt to "fix" my emissions did. I don't think I can stomach more of the same, if it even happens.

Right now my short-term plan is to put on some 4-season Nokians before the winter and keep registering/driving her. I then plan to wait until 2018 to see what fix, if any, works out, or give her back (minus the Nokians). Also, I'm really hoping that if I end up doing the buyback, there will be new TDIs approved by then to make the transition easier. But right now there's no equal to my 7-year old polluter, and waiting for more info costs nothing.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
If a fix is offered before deadline, Sept 2018 I will consider fix. If no fix
offered I will likely Opt out, keep car, no money. If 2016/17/18 TDI's are
offered, would make me consider selling it back, but even then I doubt I'll
take buyback. I would still have to chip in the car buyback value and another
$15,000. I have a low mile cherry car, with a newer 2013 engine. It could
last me 10 years and 150K easy. My last to cars, two Acura Legends lasted
me 1/4 million miles and 20/23 years old (I bought used and drove 15 years) .
Still running strong but in need of major scheduled maintenance, timing belts,
tires, brakes I sold them on craigslist.

I really like:
MPG
Torque
Handling
Filling up once ever 3.5 weeks
It fits me

I see nothing on the market that I want, and I really LOVE having no
car note. This car is making me money.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I think the choice folks have made so far is based on the lack of info on the fix, and the ability to change mind after the details come clear (er)

my plan is to get the fix, and enjoy 48000 (which I will put on in less than 4 years, unless I slow down a lot) miles of new warranty coverage on critical stuff. (and $5100)

still have plenty of life on my lifetime XM radio to enjoy....

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Right now my short-term plan is to put on some 4-season Nokians before the winter and keep registering/driving her. I then plan to wait until 2018 to see what fix, if any, works out, or give her back (minus the Nokians). Also, I'm really hoping that if I end up doing the buyback, there will be new TDIs approved by then to make the transition easier. But right now there's no equal to my 7-year old polluter, and waiting for more info costs nothing.

You may not have the option to wait until Sept 2018, if a fix is offered before then, or they throw in the towel and say no fix, take buyback or opt out. I could be wrong, but I think you have limited time to accept the offer. Clearly VW wants people to not make any claim. Many, as much as 40% to 60% VW owners will take no action and get no money or buyback as they miss the deadlines. They never contacted me by letter. It's only because I am a TDI Forum member and following this whole thing from the get go, did I know what to do.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
You can transfer your subscription to another radio.... so you are good to go there. Cheers

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4555/~/is-my-lifetime-subscription-transferable%3F

Is my Lifetime subscription transferable?

If you purchased your Lifetime subscription

• Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*
  • From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007: Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*
  • On or after September 8, 2007: Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.* Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective.

Which one do you think applies to my 2009 Jetta? (which I purchased in late Sept 2008) ( I think I paid the lifetime subscription fee around January 2009 or so, as my six months of free service was coming to a close)

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Warranty gone, text'er smacked into it causing $8k damage, which was repaired how well? I would be nuts to keep it when getting most of the original money back. I do love the torque and sound system, best I've ever heard in a non customized car.

Biohazardous

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
my plan now is to keep, but who knows what life might have in store for me in the 2 years between now and when the buyback is over. If they end up without a fix so the only way to get the "I'm sorry money" is to sell back and no extra warranty on the emission system might have to reconsider since my tailpipe is very sooty. The used delete kits are looking very attractive, but not sure If I can get away with that here.
As long as they don't change the "passenger Diesel under 3,000 lbs" being exempt from emission law we will be good. I live in Tacoma and will be doing the delete myself once this whole issue is blown over.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
As long as they don't change the "passenger Diesel under 3,000 lbs" being exempt from emission law we will be good. I live in Tacoma and will be doing the delete myself once this whole issue is blown over.
Even though I live in Maryland which is a CARB state the government only cares about $$$. So they don't emissions test small diesels since they would lose money on the testing. Fortunately my registration just needed to be renewed and it's good for 2 years so that hopefully gives me time to decide what to do if a fix comes out before Sept '18. I renewed online and it was hassle free. I didn't get any questions about my TDI. I just paid my money and away I went.

Do the "off road" only DPF delete and swap the fuel pump for a cp3 and our cars are golden as those are the two most expensive repairs. The way I look at it even out of warranty if I have to pay $1500-2000 every year for major repairs/routine PM work, I still am better off then being in a new car with a payment. Again, the numbers work in my favor as I put quite a bit of money down and even at current values the car is worth slightly more then I owe so I'm not worried about an accident or other events making me miss out on the restitution.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Depends what the state tailpipe sniffers here decide if there is no fix, or not enough fix. My registration runs until April '18.

I don't see much on the market to compare, even the current Golfs, as far as economy, performance, and interior spec -- and what I have is the basic red TDi Golf 2-door.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a 2012 with 80,000. They are going to give me 20K. I saw a 2011 with 73K listed for $9999. Which means I could get it for less. So I lose a year, gain a few miles and pocket 10K.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I currently drive around 16-17k per year. VW is giving me 20k to return it to them. Currently I have a tune from KermaTDI that still has me on the fence about selling it to them.

Test drove a few Mk7 GTIs as that's the only car that could get me out of my tdi. On stright highway trips they get around 40mpg as well. Mixed driving wouldn't be too much worse than the tdi.

HJWII

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI; 2012 JSW TDI
I'm torn...
I have over 200K miles on my 2012.
In a couple of months, I have to replace the timing belt, and the last one at the dealer was like $2,000.
But, then, I've already blown up the fuel system in 2014 (VW paid for it).
But, then, they're offering me a nice sum, for a car with 200K miles on it...
But, then, if I keep it, and repair it, even with the timing belt repair, I have a couple of extra dollars.
But, then, by the end of next year, I will be closing in on 300K miles...
But, then, if I do keep it, I could give it to my son for his first car. And, he'll be the only one of his friends with a manual, and that means no one can borrow it (and he won;t get far if he decides to partake of an adult beverage when he shouldn't)...
But, then, I could have VW buyback the car, use that money to offset a new GTI and still have a few dollars for a good used car for the brat...er, my son..

I'm so torn.............

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I like my mk6 Golf TDI. It has 60,000 miles on it and is a blast to drive. I am leaning towards the fix and putting the payment in the bank for any future expensive repairs. It all depends on the fix. If the fix is new/better/more robust emissions equipment backed by a solid warrantee, I will probably go with the fix.

I have the OEM Driver Gear sport springs and a few other hop-ups. There really is not much on the market to tempt me out of my TDI, unless I go with a quiver of older cars instead.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You guys are silly for even thinking about keeping it. Sell it and get an older tdi and you have cash left over. Take a nice vacation!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Here in Canuckistan we don't know what the deal will be or whether we'll be offered a buy-back. So it's premature to say what we'll do. If the deal is comparable to the US, it would make sense to take the buyback and get a new TSI wagon with another 5 years of warranty, new car, etc., for not much more money. Otherwise we like the car fine, it's reliable, runs well and is practical for road trips with our bikes, and gear. If the deal sucks as we suspect it will, we will keep the car until it's 10 years old.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
We '10 model year owners are getting hosed on the buyback amount ($9k), so I'm not sure what to do. I considered selling mine just before the scandal hit and going market rate would have netted me at least $12k. I don't know why the '10 model buyback amount is such a large drop from the '11 model.

I love my car, which has been absolutely flawless minus a dead stereo, but my first check engine light last week at 101k miles (glow plug pressure sensor?) makes me wonder if the storm is coming.

Problem is I can't find anything equivalent on the used market for the money. :(

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
Going. All ready Replaced. Can't get this out of my drive way soon enough. I have a CEL, Air Bag Light and a intercooler that iced up several times this past winter, a DMF that sounds like a can full of nuts, A/C not working...........110500 miles. Undependable. RIP.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
We '10 model year owners are getting hosed on the buyback amount ($9k), so I'm not sure what to do. I considered selling mine just before the scandal hit and going market rate would have netted me at least $12k. I don't know why the '10 model buyback amount is such a large drop from the '11 model.

I love my car, which has been absolutely flawless minus a dead stereo, but my first check engine light last week at 101k miles (glow plug pressure sensor?) makes me wonder if the storm is coming.

Problem is I can't find anything equivalent on the used market for the money. :(
I also have the glow plug pressure sensor MIL and if the buyback amount is THAT low (even less for my '09) will I keep it and pocket the $5100? :confused:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I also have the glow plug pressure sensor MIL and if the buyback amount is THAT low (even less for my '09) will I keep it and pocket the $5100? :confused:
Assuming that's what we get in Canada; apparently we won't even know until the end of the year. I'm willing to bet you a beer that we'll get peanuts compared to the litigious US.

That said, $5100 can easily be put into a TFSA and be a nice rainy day fund for major issues with the car.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Assuming that's what we get in Canada; apparently we won't even know until the end of the year. I'm willing to bet you a beer that we'll get peanuts compared to the litigious US.
That said, $5100 can easily be put into a TFSA and be a nice rainy day fund for major issues with the car.

mine IS an American car, but imported to Canada...I got the loyalty package in US funds, but I suspect now that the car is registered in Canada, the rest of the 'settlement' will be in Canada. did someone say there was going to be beer and peanuts? :D

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
My 2010 JSW has been a great vehicle (other than leaky pano roof and a couple of hydro-lock scares). Mine has over 100k miles and has not owed me anything for some time. The buyback offer is so far beyond what I could ever get in the general market. I'm taking it and will be moving on to a new, different vehicle. Loved my TDI and will enjoy the final months driving it until it gets replaced by a new vehicle.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
My current plan is not to decide until a fix has been approved by the EPA and some other guinea pigs have been driving it for 3 months. After all I still owe money on my car. The difference between selling it to them and getting it fixed is only about an additional $5 K or so. With the $6.3 K that would give me less than $11.5 K to put down on a 1.4 L TSI or Mazda 3. I can wait all the way till 2018 to decide if I have to. Knocking on wood that some idiot doesn't T-bone me, I still would have the extra $6.3K so I'm not risking that much by waiting.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Is my Lifetime subscription transferable?

If you purchased your Lifetime subscription

• Before June 20, 2005: Yes, it is transferable from one radio to another any number of times.*
  • From June 20, 2005 until September 7, 2007: Yes, your Lifetime subscription is transferable a maximum of three times.*
  • On or after September 8, 2007: Lifetime subscriptions associated with home, portable or dock & play radios can be transferred a maximum of three times.* Lifetime subscriptions first associated with or transferred to radios installed in vehicles by automakers or dealers are NOT transferable unless the radio is stolen, accidentally damaged or defective.

Which one do you think applies to my 2009 Jetta? (which I purchased in late Sept 2008) ( I think I paid the lifetime subscription fee around January 2009 or so, as my six months of free service was coming to a close)
The accidentally damage or defective can be arranged. :D It does not say you have to transfer to the same radio type, only a transfer if stolen, broke. I am sure they will try and deny a transfer if at all possible. I read the whole PDF... yep they have all kinds of limits. There are no more lifetime deals, which is not really a deal or lifetime, at least after Sept 7, 2008 first associated with a car radio.

"Hello Sirius, my radio died from accidental damage, defect and/or was stolen, please transfer it to my new replacement radio with ESN number xxxxxxxxx." There is a path to transfer. However if you call and say I sold my car please turn off Sirius and move to my new car radio... you are screwed. If they let you transfer to a portable device, that would be more flexibility.

The wrinkle is, car is sold and new owner tries to activates radio, it might be difficult for them. I know with the replacement radio I bought, I could not transfer my 5 month subscription to a new RCD510; I had to call them to dethatch the previous owner, before I could transfer Sirius from my dead RCD510 to my new RCD510. Then they charged me $15.

If the wrinkle comes up, radio was repaired. Do they say the radio can't be repaired? I think selling "LIFETIME" contracts with so many exclusions and limits, i.e., not your lifetime but "time you own car with this receiver life". I suppose based on full price of $199/year, a "lifetime" subscription you paid $500 for, with 4 years of use is a deal? Not for me. I don't really need Sirius XM and can live without.

Question can you transfer the lifetime subscription on that radio to new owner? I am pretty sure the answer is no.

Last edited: