Q7 fuel mileage

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Hi All,
We are looking at the Q7 TDI as a replacement for our Enclave when it comes off of lease.
The Q isn't quite as large inside and we aren't as happy with the interior configuration. The Enclave has 4 Captains chairs and then a 3 person bench.
However, we have always loved the way Audis are put together and are enamored with the diesels now that we have the Jetta TDI.
What are some of the real world fuel mileage owners are seeing? We figure about $100 a month fuel savings if we get about 8MPG more than the Enclave which would help justify the extra monthly payment.
We also tow a small ski boat a fair distance most summer weekends, the TDI would kill it for that!
Thanks...

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
johnt26 said:
Hi All,
We are looking at the Q7 TDI as a replacement for our Enclave when it comes off of lease.
The Q isn't quite as large inside and we aren't as happy with the interior configuration. The Enclave has 4 Captains chairs and then a 3 person bench.
However, we have always loved the way Audis are put together and are enamored with the diesels now that we have the Jetta TDI.
What are some of the real world fuel mileage owners are seeing? We figure about $100 a month fuel savings if we get about 8MPG more than the Enclave which would help justify the extra monthly payment.
We also tow a small ski boat a fair distance most summer weekends, the TDI would kill it for that!
Thanks...
I've heard real world numbers of 24-25 mpg on the highway.

Diesels are great for pulling a trailer. The torque makes them very good towing machines.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
There are a couple of diesel Q7s reporting at Fuelly.com. You might want to look there for a point of reference.

Mercedes offers the diesel ML which might be less $$$.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
dieseldorf said:
There are a couple of diesel Q7s reporting at Fuelly.com. You might want to look there for a point of reference.

Mercedes offers the diesel ML which might be less $$$.
Both the MB ML & GL BlueTec diesels come with run-flat tires only; which, to me, was a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Wobisobi

Veteran Member
TDI
Missing my Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
johnt26 said:
Hi All,
Thanks...
I like my Q7 quite a bit. 50-city\50-hwy driving yielded 22 mpg for the coldest winter months whereas the summer saw 23.5. On long highway trips I was seeing a consistent 27 mpg with a peak of 29 mpg last summer but 25 to 26 this last winter (23 if my wife was driving).

If I am careful driving during my work commute (about 20 minutes of 60-city /40-hwy driving) I can still manage 27 mpg in the summer. This last MN winter I noticed that I was getting about 22 mpg for that same commute due to the cold weather and blended fuel but that was still better than EPA rated.

I expect that the mileage will be back up this summer and I already notice my commute mileage climbing to the 25 mpg range for 30-40 deg f. weather.

In my estimation, pulling a small boat in the summer for long highway trips would still net you 25 mpg.

There are many special order options available and you may be able to retain the 2nd row captain’s chairs. This was an option on previous build years.

I noticed that the 2010 Buick Enclave has an EPA rating of 16/22. What have you been seeing?

DUTCH VanAtlanta

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
Wobisobi said:

There are many special order options available and you may be able to retain the 2nd row captain’s chairs. This was an option on previous build years.

Sadly, those 2nd row captain's chairs are only available on the 4.2 V8. I wish I could have ordered them in my on order Q7 TDI.

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Wobisobi,
Thanks for the info.
We need the 7th seat at times so the Captain's chairs are not an option.
I'll check fuelly for some info too.
The Enclave advertises 17/24 but like most gassers my Enclave doesn't get those numbers often. I'm probably closer to 15 around town and 21 or so at 75 on the highway and forget about it towing
I find with our Jetta TDI, we easily beat the EPA numbers on both, figured the Q7 was similar.

Last edited:

CloudNine

Veteran Member
Q7 Fuel Mileage

I drove a 2009 TDI Q7 with 4k miles on it, for one week in October 2009, in Illinois (mild weather). Put 1000 miles on it, almost all hwy on cruise, level ground.
FWIW, the Q7 returned 23 mpg.
I am sure you know that you can't be happy if the vehicle interior is not large enough to meet your needs, regardless of economy. Tom

railflyer

TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
My fuel mile average for my 12k miles I have put on it so far is 24.2 mpg. I drive mixed but mostly open town driving. My best highway is just over 29 mpg on a 1000 mile trip. All my computations are hand calculated.

Cloudnine that mileage seems very low for the TDI Q on cruise level ground, what were you doing 85mph?

This vehicle is easy, I mean extremely easy to get over 26-27 mpg. I have noticed people at stop lights always accelerate like its a race and drive 15mph over the limit everywhere. I drive the limit to 5 over and have been rewarded with good mileage. Youll also find with 406 lbs ft of torque if you are always taking off fast from lights you will eat tires in a hurry.

CloudNine

Veteran Member
Q7 Fuel Mileage

In reply, I drove the Q7 about 70 mph on the highway. Having the car for only one week, I wasn't really used to driving it. I probably got into the go pedal a little too much.

Also, the engine was still very tight, being nearly new.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Fully loaded (2 adults, 2 kids, luggage), @ 75 MPH I'm getting about 25-28 mpg. When I drop it to 60 mph, I get 28-29 but fall asleep. About 17-19 in the city. Roughly 22-24 average. More torque than a V8. Better put together than any USA made SUV. I have ridden BMW's TDi, MB's Diesel. German Diesel SUVs feel very tight. Seats are firmer. No LazyBoy armchairs. Better road feel.

Wobisobi

Veteran Member
TDI
Missing my Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
whizznbyu said:
Fully loaded (2 adults, 2 kids, luggage), @ 75 MPH I'm getting about 25-28 mpg.
railflyer said:
My fuel mile average for my 12k miles I have put on it so far is 24.2 mpg. I drive mixed but mostly open town driving. My best highway is just over 29 mpg on a 1000 mile trip. All my computations are hand calculated.
So the results are in and we Q7 TDI owners are pulling in better than EPA ratings.