PSA: Great price on 94R batteries

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
It was a 91 series-another close one to the one I have in car is a 48 series.I think I will pick up a 34 series that has top and side post connections and see how it goes-I think I have enough cable to come back 3-4 inches.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
For the ALH engines. 94R/80 amp hours for Golf/Jetta. 48/72 amp hours for the New Beetle.

I truthfully don't remember for the A3 Jetta and B4 Passat. I have a 94R in my Passat, which works well.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
y2kbird said:
in nwpa/western ny-they are using exide maxx-start 94rn (white battery) for $75 730 CCA, and 875 CA ...//... in eastern ohio-they are using johnson controls maxx-start 94r (black battery) same $75 but 930 CA
The closest U.S. Walmart only has the 94 R N... Should I bother or wait until I find a 94 R ??? (The Canadian Walmart charges almost double - so the exchange rate doesn't even matter...)

Yuri

Michael_Akamatsu

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, green
I seem to notice a big difference in cranking speed when the temp is cold vs. not so cold. I'm thinking that when the glow plugs kick in, the battery power is being sapped, and it cranks slowly. When it is not so cold, the starter cranks much faster. Am I on the right track here?

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Battery has less juice in the cold temp. How old is your battery? If it's 5+ yrs old you might want to upgrade the battery with the 700 CCA min battery i.e. Energizer 94R from Sams.

Michael_Akamatsu

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, green
The battery is three years old, but here in really hot Texas, that's about how long they last. Last time I checked Sam's, they didn't have a 94R. I saw one at Walmart for $77 (Everstart Maxx 94R).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
ymz said:
The closest U.S. Walmart only has the 94 R N... Should I bother or wait until I find a 94 R ??? (The Canadian Walmart charges almost double - so the exchange rate doesn't even matter...)

Yuri
A 94RN is a 94R being shipped to northern stores. Theoretically there could be a 94RS, or an "S" suffix for other batteries shipped to southern stores.

At any rate, you should be happy with either a 94R or a 94RN.

GregNew2TDI

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI Sedan SOLD.
For this three year warranty thing, what would justify getting a replacement? Couldn't I just come in at 2 years, 11 months and say I want to exercise my warranty even though it still cranks fine?

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
GregNew2TDI said:
For this three year warranty thing, what would justify getting a replacement? Couldn't I just come in at 2 years, 11 months and say I want to exercise my warranty even though it still cranks fine?
I thought it was like tires, they just give you what it's worth....so that would be like $12.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I was under the impression that they are 3 year free replacement, 5 year prorated.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I was also under the impression that this thread is all about the Walmart Everstart.
Based on the top of my battery, you get 36 months of free replacement and 60 months prorated.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
NB_TDi said:
Like all threads this took a curve.

Well usually they'll test the battery too. But seeing how it's Wally World, God only knows.
I can attest... less training for people are that work at the automotive section mean that it's easier to get a new battery under warranty. Walmart is a great place to buy batteries for exactly this reason. I have never had trouble returning batteries there! All the automotive stores (Napa, Autozone, etc.) are much more suspicious and thorough when checking battery returns.. and have turned me down on multiple occasions!