MkVI DIY/FAQ - Start here

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Hi all,

For all intents and purposes, the MkVI is pretty much a MkV chassis with a facelift.

At this time, there is not a whole lot of MkVI specific information available. A lot of the information from the MkV chassis carries through to the MkVI chassis cars. For now, I'm posting a link to the MkV DIY/FAQ that those of you owning '10 and later Golf/Jetta SportWagen cars can refer to.

Once we get some good MkVI specific information, I'd be glad to start a new thread and we can get a MkVI specific DIY/FAQ going. If anyone wants to start this undertaking, feel free.

You can view the MkV FAQ by clicking here - MkV ('05.5 - '10) Jetta DIY/FAQ

- DZ

kjs16v

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
MkVI Oil Capacity, Engine Code CJAA

Hello Everyone,

Let's start with something as easy as changing the oil on our TDIs. I have read a few posts where some have said the capacity as being 4.3 liters and some have posted 4.7 liters.

I can say that after changing the oil on my 2011 Golf TDI, engine code CJAA, vehicle build date 8/2010, the capacity with a new filter is 4.7 liters. This will get you to the top of the hatch mark on the dipstick. VW part # for the oil filter is 071-115-562C; Mann # is HU 719/7x. Remember to use a VW 507.00 approved oil. From my experience, Pep Boys is the only auto parts chain that stocks VW 507.00 spec oil in their stores. That oil would be Mobil 1 ESP formula, 5w/30. As an alternative, there are online sources in the USA for 507.00 spec oil as well.

If someone has had a different experience, please post here and provide specifics (model, model year, engine code, vehicle build date)

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Mileage...
I just got a 2010 JSW TDI.... what is "normal mileage"... On my first full tank fill up (second fill up after I got the car)... I got 39.8 MPG... I do a lot of freeway; the speed limit is 70, and every one does 80 mph... I tend to stay in the right lane and do 70-75 mph... I'm guessing those speeds are not ideal. I have not checked the tires yet but assume the standard 35psi is good enough?

Oil changes..
The dealer chargers less than $50 I recall. I was shocked. I thought it would be more. For that price might as well let them do it. May be this is a special price since it is under the 24Mo/24K CPO warranty. Being a CPO car, it just had engine and DSG oil changed, so I don't have to worry about it for awhile... Are folks going the full 10K between engine and filter changes?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Here are some handy links to bookmark, especially for non-engine-specific items:

VWVortex Mk6 Golf DIY thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4243671-The-Official-MKVI-DIY-FAQ-Thread

VWVortex Sportwagen DIY thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5533024-The-Official-Sportwagen-DIY-FAQ-Thread

VWVortex Mk5 DIY thread:
(may apply to SOME parts of our Sportwagens, which are Mk5-chassis-based)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2374154-MkV-Forum-FAQ-and-DIY-Thread

VWVortex Ross-tech Mk6 handy coding tweaks:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4743553

soINtdi

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT, previous VW's 2006 GTI, 2006 Jetta tdi
Well it took less than a month for my daughter to break the vent controls in the center console. Anyone had to pull take it apart yet? It's different from the mkv because it has the 110v plug in. It's got a slot at the top that was flexing with a flathead. Didn't pop off and I didn't want to keep flexing it. I pulled on the cover lid thing that conceals it normally and it came off. I was hoping to get to some screws behind it like the mkv. doesn't have any visible screws... I'll post pictures and links or updates when I get it. I've learned so much from these forums that I'd love to give some back.

redveedub87

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Does anyone recommend running a fuel additive? If so which one? I also have questions about the VCDS. How do I go about getting it?

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Does anyone recommend running a fuel additive? If so which one? I also have questions about the VCDS. How do I go about getting it?
Many owners use a Fuel additive as a preventative measure to "protect" the HPFP by increasing the lubricity of our diesel fuel. I use Optilube XPD or their summer blend. It can be purchased over the internet. Their are many opinions on which one to use.

VCDS can be purchased directly from RossTech. Many members here are willing to help you out with theirs. I bought one before I actually took possession of my car. I have used it quite a bit.

Itsnotme1988

TDI
My wife's 2003 Jetta GL
Plan to pick up a MkVI JSW within a years time and was wondering if it would be ill advixed to add 1qt of engine oil to the fuel as additive? I do this in my 6.5L GMC K1500 to protect the injeciton pump. I have a few cases of old SH rated 20w50 and 5w30 and it's the only actually "use" I've come across.

Anyone recommend a buyers guide and things to look out for?

Owned a 2004 MkIV Jetta and horrible luck with that so I am a little apprehensive...

djali79

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr 6sp man
I live in the midwest, and have rotated between the white (winter) and gray (summer) Power Service additives. Not sure which brand is the best, they have worked well for me overall. That being said, I've still had 3 instances of "hydro-lock". Each time, I have run the risk by continued cranking. The last two I've done with jumper cables since the engine would not turn.

I'm not sure if any additive would have prevented these from happening - from what I've read, it's a design flaw with the intercooler.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Well it took less than a month for my daughter to break the vent controls in the center console. Anyone had to pull take it apart yet? It's different from the mkv because it has the 110v plug in. It's got a slot at the top that was flexing with a flathead. Didn't pop off and I didn't want to keep flexing it. I pulled on the cover lid thing that conceals it normally and it came off. I was hoping to get to some screws behind it like the mkv. doesn't have any visible screws... I'll post pictures and links or updates when I get it. I've learned so much from these forums that I'd love to give some back.
mine is probably very different than yours but when I pulled out my 110v inverter the vent grills came off while dissasembling. kids broke out slats on mine also. mine came apart easily, I explained it here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=393656

MrsTipton

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
I'm the new teacher ;-)

I've had my 2013 Sportwagen TDI since 8/26/13 and already have over 14K miles on it. It is a wonderful vehicle. I'm about to go from San Francisco area to San Diego, and I look forward to a comfortable and affordable drive.

So here's my concern/beef/irritating occurrence. The dealership was so confident that I could tow with my new SW that they GAVE me an installed trailer hitch and a 5 year/100K warranty. Less than one week after buying, I find out that I CANNOT tow because mine has the 6 speed automatic. :-| I bought the vehicle to pull a small Aliner camper trailer.

Now that I've stopped crying intermittently, can some one tell me if they have had problem-free towing of 1800 lb. loads? If not, I'll put away my kleenex and buy a tent, but as an old widow lady with a big dog, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Any input?

Okay, sorry about using the emoticons. I won't do it again...

Last edited:

chasda

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
This is my first post, I have a 2012 Golf TDI 38K miles. I'm getting ready to do my 40k service, which I will do some of it myself since the free service is over. Oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter are no problem. I will have someone do the DSG service. My question is about the fuel filter, removing and replacing are no problem, but from what I read, you need to have a VCSD tool? to connect to the cars computer and prime the fuel pumps or jump them manually. Is this really necessary or can I just fill the canister with fuel and crank it over?

higgledy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI (buyback)
I've had my 2013 Sportwagen TDI since 8/26/13 and already have over 14K miles on it. It is a wonderful vehicle. I'm about to go from San Francisco area to San Diego, and I look forward to a comfortable and affordable drive.

So here's my concern/beef/irritating occurrence. The dealership was so confident that I could tow with my new SW that they GAVE me an installed trailer hitch and a 5 year/100K warranty. Less than one week after buying, I find out that I CANNOT tow because mine has the 6 speed automatic. :-| I bought the vehicle to pull a small Aliner camper trailer.

Now that I've stopped crying intermittently, can some one tell me if they have had problem-free towing of 1800 lb. loads? If not, I'll put away my kleenex and buy a tent, but as an old widow lady with a big dog, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Any input?

Okay, sorry about using the emoticons. I won't do it again...

Serious, you cannot tow with a DSG on a TDI Golf either? What about a hitch-mounted bike rack?

Spindrift

TDI
2010 Jetta
Is there such a thing as a decent service manual for the 2010 model year? I'm beginning to get killed on repair bills...all related to the EGR and other emission stuff. I've got to find a way to start doing some of this work myself. I'm so darn frustrated at this point you can't imagine. Whatever I've saved in mileage, I've wasted with the repair bills related to emission equipment. Most recent failure is this exhaust valve not operating which they want to replace.

TDI<wagen>

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon, 6MT, pano, leather, media package
Is there such a thing as a decent service manual for the 2010 model year? I'm beginning to get killed on repair bills...all related to the EGR and other emission stuff. I've got to find a way to start doing some of this work myself. I'm so darn frustrated at this point you can't imagine. Whatever I've saved in mileage, I've wasted with the repair bills related to emission equipment. Most recent failure is this exhaust valve not operating which they want to replace.
I had one failed at 60 or 65k km on my 2011 JSW :mad: and they've replaced it under warranty.:cool: I would recommend www.myturbodiesel.com website in addition to TDI club forum - these two have most of the service procedures required and it saves me a lot of time and $$$:D

tokie

TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen
soINtdi,
I've got to replace the vents on my center console also. Did you find it easy or hard to do? Any tips are appreciated.

bbyers285

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI 5 Spd (Totalled); '05 Jetta TDI Tiptronic Auto (Sold); '05 Jetta TDI 5-Spd (Sold); '12 Golf TDI 6-Spd
I too have a few louvers in the center console vents that I need to attempt to pop back into place. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. If I can't repair, I'll need to replace the vent. Kids these days... :mad:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
does anyone know where i can get factory looking switches for the center console? the ones between the ash tray and shifter.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
does anyone know where i can get factory looking switches for the center console? the ones between the ash tray and shifter.
Ebay sells both USB and Aux

These will plug into many of the backs of the oe headunits

Im working on installing an aftermarkt hu so Ive hybred the Aux with a TRRS (a/v) 3.5mm

The USB was an ez plug n play ebay conversion haarness

I have seen a garage door opener for one of the holes. I dont remember who sold it. ECS??

Last edited:

indysoto

Veteran Member
This is my first post, I have a 2012 Golf TDI 38K miles. I'm getting ready to do my 40k service, which I will do some of it myself since the free service is over. Oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter are no problem. I will have someone do the DSG service. My question is about the fuel filter, removing and replacing are no problem, but from what I read, you need to have a VCSD tool? to connect to the cars computer and prime the fuel pumps or jump them manually. Is this really necessary or can I just fill the canister with fuel and crank it over?
I just filled it, it did take an extra couple cranks at first start but seems to be fine now.

00SamIAm00

TDI
2014 Sportwagen w/sunroof and sound
Hey y'all. I just recently replaced clutch and flywheel. 2014 JSW TDi, 6-speed. Had battery out for a couple of days. Putting everything back together, my electronics is acting up (tpms flashing, tcs fault displaying, and worst of all, power steering indicator staying red.) Anyone have this issue before and know a quick fix? By the way, new clutch feels great!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Hey y'all. I just recently replaced clutch and flywheel. 2014 JSW TDi, 6-speed. Had battery out for a couple of days. Putting everything back together, my electronics is acting up (tpms flashing, tcs fault displaying, and worst of all, power steering indicator staying red.) Anyone have this issue before and know a quick fix? By the way, new clutch feels great!
When I changed the battery out the dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. It just took the length of the parking lot to self clear. Have you driven any yet/

00SamIAm00

TDI
2014 Sportwagen w/sunroof and sound
When I changed the battery out the dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. It just took the length of the parking lot to self clear. Have you driven any yet/
Oh yeah, quite a bit. I'm really searching for answers here. Friend who helped me with clutch mentioned that he accidentally installed battery backwards and all kinds of crazy things happened. I was either in bathroom, or down the street at Advance auto parts. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Found a blown fuse, and upon research, found a youtube video of a guy replacing the multifuse plate when his power steering failed... Does anyone know about this multifuse plate?

crpntrjo

TDI
,2011 jetta sport wagon TDI ,06 Dodge Ram 5.9, Kubota m-4500DT,mercedes 300D with Lovecraft mod's, ford f250 6.4 l
Many owners use a Fuel additive as a preventative measure to "protect" the HPFP by increasing the lubricity of our diesel fuel. I use Optilube XPD or their summer blend. It can be purchased over the internet. Their are many opinions on which one to use.

VCDS can be purchased directly from RossTech. Many members here are willing to help you out with theirs. I bought one before I actually took possession of my car. I have used it quite a bit.
opinions are fine ,the tests had them in 2nd best and I use it because of that .had the results of the test and forget who scored best but I could not find a vendor.never had injector trouble in any of my diesels including my kubota m4500dt inline 6. opti lube in all every fill up
is biofuel a Nono for these vw's ?

bobssmogger

TDI
2.0l 140
I've had broken vents. Mainly caused by pushing cell phone holders on them. Dead easy fix cut off broken pegs on individual flaps and drill and screw very small bolts in. Pretty fiddly but works a treat!